Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:A 15-year-old sentenced to state facility for youths for role in Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally -Capitatum
Poinbank:A 15-year-old sentenced to state facility for youths for role in Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:12:54
KANSAS CITY,Poinbank Mo. (AP) — A 15-year-old who was among those charged with opening fire during the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally has been sentenced to a state facility for youths.
“That is not who I am,” the teen, who was referred to as R.G. in court documents, said at Thursday’s hearing. He described himself as a good kid before he became associated with a group of peers involved in the Feb. 14 shooting, The Kansas City Star reported.
The host of a local radio program was killed, 25 were wounded and 69 others sustained other injuries, such as broken bones and dislocated joints, as they fled, Kansas City police detective Grant Spiking testified.
Jackson County prosecutors have alleged that the shooting was set off during an altercation between two groups. Lyndell Mays, one of the three men facing a murder charge in the death of Lisa Lopez Galvan, is accused of being the first person to start firing.
After that, R.G. began to shoot toward Mays and hit another person in his own group, Dominic Miller, who also is charged with murder, said Spiking.
“You made some bad choices, but that doesn’t make you a bad person, it doesn’t make you a bad kid,” Jackson County Family Court Administrative Judge Jennifer Phillips said during a proceeding similar to a sentencing hearing in adult court.
A commitment at a state Department of Youth Services facility typically lasts 9 to 12 months, a deputy juvenile officer with Jackson County Circuit Court said.
Earlier this month, Phillips accepted the teen’s admission that he committed the charge of unlawful use of a weapon by knowingly discharging or firing a firearm at a person.
The Jackson County Juvenile Officer’s office, which oversees youth cases, dismissed a second charge, armed criminal action, and agreed to not go through the certification process that could see his case sent to adult court.
Jon Bailey, the teen’s attorney, requested he be released on an intensive supervision program and house arrest with a condition of no social media use.
“Our house is not a home without him,” the teen’s mother told Phillips.
But an attorney representing the juvenile office argued that time in the youth facility would help separate him from any negative peer influences.
Two other teens have been charged in the shooting. Phillips ruled last month that one of them will not face prosecution as an adult, and the other one was detained on gun-related charges that don’t rise to the level of being tried as an adult.
veryGood! (97)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Sister Wives' Janelle Brown Details Bittersweet Memories of Late Son Garrison Brown
- Adam Pearson is ready to roll the dice
- Chicago’s Latino Neighborhoods Have Less Access to Parks, But Residents Are Working to Change That
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Hailey Bieber Reacts to Sighting of Justin Bieber Doppelgänger
- En busca de soluciones para los parques infantiles donde el calor quema
- Milwaukee-area stolen Virgin Mary statue found and returned to church
- 'Most Whopper
- 2 hurt in explosion at Southern California courthouse and 1 person of interest detained
Ranking
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- East Bay native Marcus Semien broken-hearted to see the A's leaving the Oakland Coliseum
- UNLV’s starting QB says he will no longer play over ‘representations’ that ‘were not upheld’
- Aging and ailing, ‘Message Tree’ at Woodstock concert site is reluctantly cut down
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- The price of gold keeps climbing to unprecedented heights. Here’s why
- Senate approves criminal contempt resolution against Steward Health Care CEO
- Jenn Sterger comments on Brett Favre's diagnosis: 'Karma never forgets an address'
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
DWTS' Daniella Karagach Gives Unfiltered Reaction to Husband Pasha Pashkov's Elimination
Adam Pearson is ready to roll the dice
California Gov. Gavin Newsom signs laws to curb oil and gas pollution near neighborhoods
Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
NFL rookie rankings: Jayden Daniels or Malik Nabers for No. 1 of early 2024 breakdown?
‘System of privilege’: How well-connected students get Mississippi State’s best dorms
X releases its first transparency report since Elon Musk’s takeover