Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Drew Barrymore Reverses Decision to Bring Back Talk Show Amid Strikes -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-Drew Barrymore Reverses Decision to Bring Back Talk Show Amid Strikes
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 03:43:04
The Chainkeen Exchangeshow will no longer go on as scheduled for Drew Barrymore after all.
The Drew Barrymore Show will not premiere this week as previously stated and has been put on pause. The actress announced the news Sept. 17, reserving her decision to bring the program back amid ongoing strikes by the Writers Guild of America (WGA) and SAG-AFTRA. Scores of members and supporters of both unions picketed her series last week after it began taping a new episode, while many took to social media to criticize Barrymore over her choice to resume production.
"I have listened to everyone and I am making the decision to pause the show's premiere until the strike is over," Barrymore wrote on Instagram Sept. 17. "I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today. We really tried to find out way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon."
The talk show host's statement received a largely positive response, including from the Writers Guild of America, East. The union commented, "Thank you Drew" and also shared her post on their own page.
CBS Media Ventures, which distributes The Drew Barrymore Show, told The New York Times in Sept. 17 statement that the company supported the actress' decision and understood "how complex and difficult this process has been for her."
Meanwhile, reruns of The Drew Barrymore Show will air for the foreseeable future, a person with knowledge of the matter told Variety, while episodes that were taped last week when the show went back into production will not be broadcast.
The WGA went on strike in May after failed negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP). Actor's union SAG-AFTRA joined them on the picket lines two months later. On Sept. 10, Barrymore wrote on social media that her daytime talk show will return for season four Sept. 18, noting that the program be in "compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind."
The WGA spoke out against the decision. "The @DrewBarrymoreTV Show is a WGA covered, struck show that is planning to return without its writers," the union tweeted the same day. "The Guild has, and will continue to, picket struck shows that are in production during the strike. Any writing on "The Drew Barrymore Show" is in violation of WGA strike rules."
In addition to picketing and social media backlash, Barrymore's decision also spurred the National Book Awards to rescind her invitation to host its upcoming annual award ceremony.
On Sept. 15, Barrymore posted and later, following more social media criticism, deleted an emotional video statement to Instagram, in which she stated she was standing behind her decision to return to her talk show. "I wanted to own a decision so it wasn't a PR-protected situation and I would just take full responsibility for my actions," she said. "I know there is just nothing I can do that will make this OK to those that it is not OK with. I fully accept that. I fully understand that."
She added, "I deeply apologize to writers. I deeply apologize to unions."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (24)
Related
- How effective is the Hyundai, Kia anti-theft software? New study offers insights.
- Alex Murdaugh makes his first appearance in court since his murder trial
- 'It couldn't have come at a better time': Michigan family wins $150,000 Powerball jackpot
- Aaron Rodgers speaks out for first time since his season-ending injury: I shall rise yet again
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Hurricane Lee on path for New England and Canada with Category 1 storm expected to be large and dangerous
- With Mel Tucker suspended, five possible replacement candidates for Michigan State
- Researcher shows bodies of purported non-human beings to Mexican congress at UFO hearing
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Enough to make your skin crawl: 20 rattlesnakes found inside a homeowner’s garage in Arizona
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Cyberattacks strike casino giants Caesars and MGM
- Karamo Addresses the Shade After Not Being Invited to Antoni Porowski's Bachelor Party
- Autoworkers are on the verge of a historic strike
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Mexico on track to break asylum application record
- FAA restores Mexico aviation to highest safety rating
- Indiana man charged with child neglect after 2-year-old finds gun on bed and shoots him in the back
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
The US says Egypt’s human rights picture hasn’t improved, but it’s withholding less aid regardless
Around 3,000 jobs at risk at UK’s biggest steelworks despite government-backed package of support
Recent floods heighten concerns that New England dams may not be built for climate-induced storms
Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
US names former commerce secretary, big Democrat donor to coordinate private sector aid for Ukraine
Boston doctor charged with masturbating and exposing himself to 14-year-old girl on airplane
Why are so many people behaving badly? 5 Things podcast