Current:Home > MyFamilies in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out -Capitatum
Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 01:26:06
BOSTON (AP) — Families staying in overflow shelter sites in Massachusetts will soon have to document each month their efforts to find a path out of the overflow system, including looking for housing or a job, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced Monday.
Beginning May 1, families will have to be recertified monthly to remain eligible to stay in the state-run overflow sites.
They will need to show what steps they’ve taken to work toward independence, including applying for work authorization permits, participating in a workforce training program, submitting job applications, taking English classes or searching for housing, according to the administration.
“We have said for months now that our system is at capacity, and we do not have the space, providers or funding to continue expanding,” Emergency Assistance Director General Scott Rice said. “This new certification policy is a responsible step to address the capacity constraints at our safety-net sites.”
The policy does not apply to sites operated by the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, a charitable organization.
Massachusetts has been grappling with the growing influx of homeless migrant families seeking shelter in the state.
The state’s Emergency Assistance family shelter system serves homeless families with children or pregnant women. Less than half of families in EA are new arrivals to Massachusetts.
Last fall, the administration announced that the system could no longer safely or responsibly expand and set up a waiting list. Families who qualify for emergency shelter and are on the waiting list are eligible to stay at the state’s overflow or safety-net sites, currently providing shelter for about 200 families.
The administration also announced Monday that it will be opening a new overflow shelter site next month in Chelsea at the former Chelsea Soldiers’ Home. The site is vacant and is eventually slated to be demolished.
At full capacity, the Chelsea site will be able to accommodate approximately 100 families.
The announcement comes after the Massachusetts Senate last week approved limits on how long homeless families can stay in emergency state shelters as part of an $850 million plan to fund the system at the center of the migrant crisis.
Under the bill approved late Thursday by a vote of 32-8, the state would limit maximum stays to nine months with the possibility of 90 more days for veterans, pregnant women and people who are employed or enrolled in a job training program.
Currently, there are no limits on the time a family can spend in emergency housing.
A bill already passed by the House would provide funding covering the rest of the 2024 fiscal year that ends June 30 and part of 2025. The legislation is expected to go to a conference committee to hammer out a single compromise bill before it’s shipped to Democratic Gov. Maura Healey’s desk.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Alabama inmate who fatally shot man during 1993 robbery is executed
- The Paris Olympics scales back design of a new surf tower in Tahiti after criticism from locals
- As fighting surges in Myanmar, an airstrike in the west reportedly kills 11 civilians
- Sam Taylor
- Would Lions coach Dan Campbell ditch Detroit to take over Texas A&M football?
- Why “Mama Bear” Paris Hilton Hit Back at Negative Comments About Her Baby Boy Phoenix
- US military says national security depends on ‘forever chemicals’
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- F1's Carlos Sainz crashes into Las Vegas drain cover in blow to his Ferrari and Formula 1's return to the city
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Godmother of A.I. Fei-Fei Li on technology development: The power lies within people
- Sailors are looking for new ways to ward off orca attacks – and say blasting thrash metal could be a game changer
- South Dakota tribe to declare state of emergency due to rampant crime on reservation
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Dex Carvey, son of comedian Dana Carvey, dies at 32 of accidental overdose
- Israeli troops kill 5 Palestinians, including 3 militants, as West Bank violence surges
- Alabama inmate who fatally shot man during 1993 robbery is executed
Recommendation
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
California Interstate 10 reopens Tuesday, several weeks ahead of schedule
Japan, China agree on a constructive relationship, but reach only vague promises in seafood dispute
Have cockroaches in your house? You may live in one of the 'roachiest' cities in America.
What to watch: O Jolie night
'The Crown' Season 6 fact check: Did Dodi Fayed really propose to Princess Diana?
Prices fall, unemployment rises and Boomers have all the houses
Four of 7 officers returned to regular duty after leak of Nashville school shooting records