Current:Home > MyAustralia to send military personnel to help protect Red Sea shipping but no warship -Capitatum
Australia to send military personnel to help protect Red Sea shipping but no warship
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 07:28:01
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia will send 11 military personnel to support a U.S.-led mission to protect cargo shipping in the Red Sea, but it will not send a warship or plane, the defense minister said Thursday.
Defense Minister Richard Marles said Australia’s military needs to keep focused on the Pacific region.
The United States announced this week that several nations are creating a force to protect commerecial shipping from attack by drones and ballistic missiles fired from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.
Marles said 11 military personnel will be sent in January to Operation Prosperity Guardian’s headquarters in Bahrain, where five Australians are already posted.
“We won’t be sending a ship or a plane,” hs told Sky News television. “That said, we will be almost tripling our contribution to the combined maritime force.”
“We need to be really clear around our strategic focus, and our strategic focus is our region: the northeast Indian Ocean, the South China Sea, the East China Sea, the Pacific,” Marles added.
The U.S. and its allies are concerned by China’s growing assertiveness in the region.
Australia is one of the United States’ closest military allies. The U.S. Congress last week passed legislation allowing the sale of Virginia-class nuclear-powered submarines to Australia under a security pact that includes Britain.
Marles rejected opposition lawmakers’ criticism that a failure to send a warship as the United States had requested made Australia a less reliable partner and ally.
“That’s patently ridiculous,” Marles said.
The United States is aware of the scale of the Australian defense force and the need to maintain its focus on the Asia-Pacific region, he said.
“It is to state the obvious that to take a major asset and put it in the Middle East is to take a major asset away from what we’re doing in the immediate region,” Marles said.
Opposition defense spokesman Andrew Hastie called on Australia to send a warship.
“It’s in our national interest to contribute. If we want others to help us in a time of need, we need to step up and reciprocate now,” Hastie said.
Several cargo ships in the Red Sea have been damaged by the attacks. Multiple shipping companies have ordered their ships not enter the Bab el-Mandeb Strait until security is improved.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Black immigrant rally in NYC raises awareness about racial, religious and language inequities
- Owner of ship in Baltimore bridge collapse asks cargo owners to help cover salvage costs
- Taylor Swift announces 'Tortured Poets' music video and highlights 2 o'clock
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Taylor Swift misheard lyrics: 10 funniest mix-ups from 'Blank Space' to 'Cruel Summer'
- Flooding in Central Asia and southern Russia kills scores and forces tens of thousands to evacuate to higher ground
- Why Tori Spelling Isn't Ashamed of Using Ozempic and Mounjaro to Lose Weight After Giving Birth
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Breaking Down JoJo Siwa and Lil Tay’s Feud
Ranking
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Tesla will ask shareholders to reinstate Musk pay package rejected by Delaware judge
- Confused about the cost of going to college? Join the club.
- New York City concerned about rise of rat urine-related illness and even death
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Two best friends are $1 million richer after winning the Powerball prize in New Jersey
- The fluoride fight: Data shows more US cities, towns remove fluoride from drinking water
- The fluoride fight: Data shows more US cities, towns remove fluoride from drinking water
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
What Iran launched at Israel in its unprecedented attack, and what made it through the air defenses
Supreme Court to hear biggest homeless rights case in decades. What both sides say.
NPR suspends Uri Berliner, editor who accused the network of liberal bias
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Taylor Swift misheard lyrics: 10 funniest mix-ups from 'Blank Space' to 'Cruel Summer'
Stock market today: Asian benchmarks are mixed while US seems committed to current rates
David Beckham Celebrates Wife Victoria Beckham’s Birthday With Never-Before-Seen Family Footage