Current:Home > ContactPredictIQ-King Charles attends Easter service, Princess Kate absent after their cancer diagnoses -Capitatum
PredictIQ-King Charles attends Easter service, Princess Kate absent after their cancer diagnoses
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 13:22:50
King Charles III stepped out for church on PredictIQEaster Sunday, while Princess Kate skipped the service, following announcements that both members of the British royal family have been diagnosed with cancer.
Charles was joined by Queen Camilla at St. George's Chapel; Princess Kate was not in attendance, nor was Prince William or their children. But other royals who turned out for the service at Windsor Castle included Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Duchess Sophie and Prince Andrew.
The king, wearing a dark overcoat, and queen waved to onlookers when they arrived at the chapel by car from their residence at Windsor Castle. The queen wore a green coat dress and an emerald and diamond brooch that belonged to the late Queen Elizabeth II.
Onlookers wished Charles good health, while others said "Happy Easter." The king said: "You're very brave to stand out here in the cold."
The British monarch also greeted well-wishers in an impromptu walkabout after the Easter service. A smiling Charles, accompanied by Queen Camilla, shook hands with scores of people gathered outside St George's Chapel, the resting place of his mother Queen Elizabeth.
This comes after Charles previously skipped Maundy Thursday service this week at Worcester Cathedral but delivered a pre-recorded audio message stating it is a "great sadness that I cannot be with you all today," per Sky News. Charles also reflected on the importance of serving others.
King Charles III speaks out:The monarch expresses 'heartfelt thanks' for support after cancer diagnosis
"It is my special prayer today that our Lord's example of serving one another might continue to inspire us and to strengthen all of our communities," he said. "May God bless you all this Easter."
Sunday's Easter service was Charles' first major public event since Buckingham Palace shared in February that he has been diagnosed with a "form of cancer." It has not been disclosed what kind of cancer he has, but his diagnosis came after he was treated for benign prostate enlargement.
At the time, the palace said the king would postpone his public-facing duties as he "commenced a schedule of regular treatments" but "continue to undertake state business and official paperwork as usual."
Charles has kept up with the bulk of his non-public state duties such as greeting foreign officials and holding regular meetings with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.
Princess Kate diagnosed with cancer:King Charles III, Harry and Meghan react
Princess Kate's absence comes after asking for 'space' as she undergoes preventive chemotherapy
Princess Kate also stepped back from the public eye after undergoing abdominal surgery in January. Following weeks of rumors and conspiracy theories about her health, Kate shared on March 22 that she was diagnosed with cancer and is in the early stages of preventive chemotherapy.
"We hope that you'll understand that as a family, we now need some time, space and privacy while I complete my treatment," she said. "My work has always brought me a deep sense of joy, and I look forward to being back when I'm able. But for now, I must focus on making a full recovery."
Kate and William typically step away from their royal duties and spend time with their family over Easter as their children have a break from school. Last year, the Prince and Princess of Wales attended Easter service at St. George's Chapel, with their son Prince Louis, 5, attending for the first time.
In a previous statement shared by Kensington Palace, a spokesperson for William and Kate said they are "both enormously touched by the kind messages from people here in the U.K., across the Commonwealth and around the world in response" to Kate's cancer announcement.
"They are extremely moved by the public's warmth and support and are grateful for the understanding of their request for privacy at this time," the statement added.
Contributing: Taijuan Moorman and Kelly Lawler, USA TODAY; Hollie Adams, Reuters
veryGood! (35779)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Officials to release video of officer shooting Black woman in her home after responding to 911 call
- Is it possible to live without a car? Why some Americans are going car-free
- Wildfires in California, Utah prompt evacuations after torching homes amid heat wave
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Biden’s decision to drop out leaves Democrats across the country relieved and looking toward future
- Peak global population is approaching, thanks to lower fertility rates: Graphics explain
- What can you give a dog for pain? Expert explains safe pain meds (not Ibuprofen)
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- AI industry is influencing the world. Mozilla adviser Abeba Birhane is challenging its core values
Ranking
- Small twin
- JD Vance makes solo debut as GOP vice presidential candidate with Monday rallies in Virginia, Ohio
- Read Obama's full statement on Biden dropping out
- What is an open convention?
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Adidas pulls Bella Hadid ad from campaign linked to 1972 Munich Olympics after Israeli criticism
- Investors react to President Joe Biden pulling out of the 2024 presidential race
- Happy birthday, Prince George! William and Kate share new photo of 11-year-old son
Recommendation
Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
A gunman has killed 6 people including his mother at a nursing home in Croatia, officials say
Evacuations lifted for Salt Lake City fire that triggered evacuations near state Capitol
'A brave act': Americans react to President Biden's historic decision
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Cleveland-Cliffs will make electrical transformers at shuttered West Virginia tin plant
Self-professed ‘Wolf of Airbnb’ sentenced to over 4 years in prison for defrauding landlords
At least 11 dead, dozens missing after a highway bridge in China collapses after heavy storms