Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Judge weighs the merits of a lawsuit alleging ‘Real Housewives’ creators abused a cast member -Capitatum
EchoSense:Judge weighs the merits of a lawsuit alleging ‘Real Housewives’ creators abused a cast member
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 09:30:21
NEW YORK (AP) — The EchoSenselawyer for a former cast member of the “Real Housewives of New York” told a federal judge Thursday that the First Amendment cannot shield the show’s creators from a lawsuit alleging that the show’s participants were subjected to a “rotted workplace culture.”
Attorney Sarah Matz said the lawsuit brought by Leah McSweeney earlier this year should advance to the stage where evidence can be gathered for trial.
Adam Levin, a lawyer for defendants including entertainer Andy Cohen, one of the show’s producers, and the Bravo channel, told the judge that the lawsuit’s allegations were protected by the First Amendment and that it should be dismissed at a stage in which the judge is required to assume the allegations are true.
The judge did not immediately rule on the future of the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages for mental, emotional, physical pain along with impairment of life’s joys and lost future earnings.
The lawsuit filed in Manhattan federal court alleges that McSweeney, who suffers from alcoholism, was pressured to drink booze on the show and was retaliated against when she wanted to stay sober or was denied reasonable accommodations to aid her efforts at sobriety.
It also alleges that the defendants “employed psychological warfare intentionally weaponized to break Ms. McSweeney’s psyche,” particularly when she was intimidated and prevented from visiting her dying grandmother through threats to cut her pay or fire her if she left the filming location.
“They knew she was trying to be sober,” Matz told the judge. “The show is not called the ‘Drunk Housewives of New York City.’”
The judge, who said he had never seen the show, asked each side numerous questions and seemed inclined to, at a minimum, strike some allegations from the lawsuit that pertained to events on camera.
Levin told him the lawsuit should be tossed in its entirety. He said ruling in favor of the claims made in McSweeney’s lawsuit “would kill” some television and Broadway stage shows if the First Amendment did not protect the producers of shows.
Particularly when it comes to a reality television show, the cast member becomes the message of the show and “you can’t separate the person from the speech,” Levin said.
“What are the limits a director can do to induce the behavior the director wants?” the judge asked as he questioned whether a director could demand that show participants not sleep for two days before filming or subject themselves to a physical assault just before they go on camera.
Levin said there were limits to First Amendment protection for the creators of a communicative show, but he said they were narrow in scope. McSweeney’s lawsuit, he said, did not fall within the narrow exceptions, such as when a producer might commit a criminal felony offense during the production of a show.
veryGood! (114)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Tennessee governor, music leaders launch push to protect songwriters and other artists against AI
- Elderly couple found dead in South Carolina bedroom after home heater reached 1,000 degrees
- Police investigation finds Colorado U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert didn’t punch ex-husband as he claimed
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Bernice King says mother Coretta Scott King 'wasn't a prop' after Jonathan Majors comments
- Glassdoor unveils the best places to work in 2024. Here are the top 10 companies.
- George Carlin is coming back to life in new AI-generated comedy special
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Ukraine’s Zelenskyy says Russia can be stopped but Kyiv badly needs more air defense systems
Ranking
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- Panel of judges says a First Amendment challenge to Maryland’s digital ad tax should be considered
- U.S. says yes to new bitcoin funds, paving the way for more Americans to buy crypto
- Mega Millions January 9 drawing: No winners, jackpot climbs to $187 million
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- 2 young boys, brothers ages 6 and 8, die after falling into icy pond in Wisconsin: Police
- Experts explain health concerns about micro- and nanoplastics in water. Can you avoid them?
- 3 adults with gunshot wounds found dead in Kentucky home set ablaze
Recommendation
What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
How Jennifer Lopez Poked Fun at Her Past Marriages in Latest Music Video
Tennessee governor, music leaders launch push to protect songwriters and other artists against AI
Tennessee governor, music leaders launch push to protect songwriters and other artists against AI
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
NASA delays Artemis II and III missions that would send humans to the moon by one year
Alabama coach Nick Saban retiring after winning 7 national titles, according to multiple reports
Mega Millions January 9 drawing: No winners, jackpot climbs to $187 million