Current:Home > 新闻中心Fastexy:RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition -Capitatum
Fastexy:RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 23:19:01
ALBANY,Fastexy N.Y. (AP) — Robert F. Kennedy Jr. insisted he plans to return to live in New York, as the independent presidential candidate was grilled for a second day Wednesday about his actual residency and whether he should be kept off the Empire State’s ballot in November.
A lawsuit filed on behalf of several voters seeks to invalidate the petition Kennedy submitted to get on the New York ballot, alleging he listed a residence in the New York City suburb of Katonah on the petition while he has lived in the Los Angeles area since 2014.
Kennedy testified again Wednesday that Katonah was his “home address.” He said his move to California a decade ago was only temporary so he could be with his wife, “Curb Your Enthusiasm” actor Cheryl Hines, and that he always planned to return to New York.
In a testy exchange in the Albany courtroom, attorney Keith Corbett repeatedly asked Kennedy whether moving to California with his family and pets demonstrated his intention to reside in that state.
Kennedy balked at providing a “yes” or “no” answer, saying the reality was more nuanced.
“Do you want a yes or no answer, or do you want the truth?” Kennedy said.
“My intent is to return to New York and that’s the only requirement for residency,” he said.
Under questioning from his own lawyer, Kennedy said he moved to California out of love for his wife.
“I said I would figure out a way to make a living in California until we could move back,” he said.
He said it was difficult for him to leave New York because he built his life there.
On Tuesday, Corbett produced a July 2 affirmation from Kennedy saying his driver’s license was registered to the Katonah address. But Corbett said government documents show his registration did not list that address until the next day.
“You are familiar with the term ‘perjury’?” Corbett asked.
“Of course I am,” Kennedy replied, saying his assistant handled the paperwork.
“I will certainly correct this. I was wrong by 24 hours,” Kennedy said.
“I have lived in New York for 50 years,” he added.
Corbett raised doubts about Kennedy’s residency claim on multiple fronts Tuesday. He handed Kennedy a federal statement of candidacy with a Los Angeles address and had the candidate acknowledge he had moved his mementos, books and pets from New York to California.
“The dogs came, the hawks stayed,” Kennedy said, referring to his raptors.
The lawsuit is being backed by Clear Choice PAC, a super PAC led by supporters of Democratic President Joe Biden. A judge is set to decide the outcome without a jury.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Stay informed. Keep your pulse on the news with breaking news email alerts. Sign up here.
In a video posted in his Facebook page Tuesday, the 70-year-old Kennedy said he has lived in New York ever since his father moved there in 1964 to run his successful campaign for U.S. Senate. This was after his father’s brother, President John F. Kennedy, was assassinated. The candidate’s own father was shot to death in 1968 while running for president.
While independent presidential candidates like Kennedy face extremely long odds, he has the potential to do better than any such candidate in decades, helped by his famous name and a loyal base. Both Democrat and Republican strategists worry he could negatively affect their candidate’s chances.
Kennedy’s campaign has said he has enough signatures to qualify in 42 states so far. His ballot drive has faced challenges and lawsuits in several states, including North Carolina and New Jersey.
____
Associated Press writer Dave Collins in Hartford, Connecticut, contributed.
veryGood! (312)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Average rate on 30
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15