Current:Home > reviewsSurpassing:Missile fired from rebel-controlled Yemen misses a container ship in Bab el-Mandeb Strait -Capitatum
Surpassing:Missile fired from rebel-controlled Yemen misses a container ship in Bab el-Mandeb Strait
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 07:23:28
DUBAI,Surpassing United Arab Emirates (AP) — A missile fired from territory controlled by Houthi rebels in Yemen missed a container ship traveling through the crucial Bab el-Mandeb Strait on Thursday, a U.S. defense official said, the latest attack threatening shipping in the crucial maritime chokepoint.
The attack saw the missile splash harmlessly in the water near the Maersk Gibraltar, a Hong Kong-flagged container ship that had been traveling from Salalah, Oman, to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the official said.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters. The official’s comments came after the British military’s United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations, which monitors Mideast shipping lanes, put out an alert warning of an incident in the strait, which separates East Africa from the Arabian Peninsula.
The Maersk Gibraltar had also been hailed over the radio by “an entity claiming to be the ‘Yemeni Navy’ ahead of the missile being launched towards the vessel,” the private intelligence firm Ambrey said. “The ‘Yemeni Navy’ demanded the vessel alter course to head for Yemen. Ambrey assessed the entity to be” the Houthis.
Maersk, one of the world’s biggest shippers, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Thursday’s attack marks just the latest in the seaborne attacks attributed to the Houthis as part of their pressure campaign over the Israel-Hamas war raging in the Gaza Strip.
Two missiles fired from Houthi-held territory missed a commercial tanker loaded with Indian-manufactured jet fuel near the key Bab el-Mandeb Strait on Wednesday. Also near the strait, a missile fired by Houthi rebels on Monday night slammed into a Norwegian-flagged tanker in the Red Sea.
The Houthis have carried out a series of attacks on vessels in the Red Sea and launched drones and missiles targeting Israel. In recent days, they have threatened to attack any vessel they believe is either going to or coming from Israel, though several vessels targeted had no apparent link at all.
Global shipping has increasingly been targeted as the Israel-Hamas war threatens to become a wider regional conflict — even during a brief pause in fighting during which Hamas exchanged hostages for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel. The collapse of the truce and the resumption of a punishing Israeli ground offensive and airstrikes on Gaza have raised the risk of more sea attacks.
The Bab el-Mandeb Strait is only 29 kilometers (18 miles) wide at its narrowest point, limiting traffic to two channels for inbound and outbound shipments, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Nearly 10% of all oil traded at sea passes through it. An estimated $1 trillion in goods pass through the strait annually.
In November, Houthis seized a vehicle transport ship linked to Israel in the Red Sea off Yemen. The rebels still hold the vessel near the port city of Hodeida. Separately, a container ship owned by an Israeli billionaire came under attack by a suspected Iranian drone in the Indian Ocean.
A separate, tentative cease-fire between the Houthis and a Saudi-led coalition fighting on behalf of Yemen’s exiled government has held for months despite that country’s long war. That’s raised concerns that any wider conflict in the sea — or a potential reprisal strike from Western forces — could reignite those tensions in the Arab world’s poorest nation.
veryGood! (7249)
Related
- Tony Hawk drops in on Paris skateboarding and pushes for more styles of sport in LA 2028
- Delaware judge sets parameters for trial in Smartmatic defamation lawsuit against Newsmax
- Pregnant Mandy Moore Says She’s Being Followed Ahead of Baby No. 3’s Birth
- Judge tosses Ken Paxton’s lawsuit targeting Texas county’s voter registration effort
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- 23andMe agrees to $30 million settlement over data breach that affected 6.9 million users
- Georgia court rejects local Republican attempt to handpick primary candidates
- Officers will conduct daily bomb sweeps at schools in Springfield, Ohio, after threats
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Democrats run unopposed to fill 2 state House vacancies in Philadelphia
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Ina Garten Reveals Why She Nearly Divorced Jeffrey Garten During Decades-Long Marriage
- All Amazon employees will return to the office early next year, says 'optimistic' CEO
- Detroit Red Wings sign Lucas Raymond to 8-year contract worth more than $8M per year
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- What's next for Bryce Young, Carolina Panthers after QB's benching?
- Overseas threats hit the Ohio city where Trump and Vance lies slandered Haitians over dogs and cats
- Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano is erupting again in a remote part of a national park
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Ex-police officer accused of killing suspected shoplifter is going on trial in Virginia
Tennessee increases 2025 football ticket prices to help pay players
Georgia official seeks more school safety money after Apalachee High shooting
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
The new hard-right Dutch coalition pledges stricter limits on asylum
Find Out Which Southern Charm Star Just Got Engaged
Reservations at Casa Bonita, 'South Park' creators' Denver restaurant fill up in hours