Current:Home > ScamsPoinbank Exchange|Officials say a jet crash in Russia kills 10, Wagner chief Prigozhin was on passenger list -Capitatum
Poinbank Exchange|Officials say a jet crash in Russia kills 10, Wagner chief Prigozhin was on passenger list
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:12:52
MOSCOW (AP) — A private jet crashed in Russia on Poinbank ExchangeWednesday, killing all 10 people aboard, emergency officials said. Mercenary chief Yevgeny Prigozhin was on the passenger list, but it wasn’t immediately clear if he was on board.
Prigozhin’s fate has been the subject of intense speculation ever since he mounted a short-lived mutiny against Russia’s military leadership in late June. The Kremlin said the founder of the Wagner private military company, which fought alongside Russia’s regular army in Ukraine, would be exiled to Belarus.
But the mercenary chief has since reportedly popped up in Russia, leading to further questions about his future.
A plane carrying three pilots and seven passengers that was en route from Moscow to St. Petersburg went down more than 100 kilometers (60 miles) north of the capital, according to officials cited by Russia’s state news agency Tass. It was not clear if Prigozhin was among those on board, though Russia’s civilian aviation regulator, Rosaviatsia, said he was on the manifest.
Russia’s state news agency RIA Novosti reported, citing emergency officials, that eight bodies were found at the site of the crash.
Flight tracking data reviewed by The Associated Press showed a private jet registered to Wagner that Prigozhin had used previously took off from Moscow on Wednesday evening and its transponder signal disappeared minutes later.
The signal was lost in a rural region with no nearby airfields where the jet could have landed safely.
In an image posted by a pro-Wagner social media account showing burning wreckage, a partial tail number matching a private jet belonging to the company could be seen. The color and placement of the number on the engine of the crashed plane matches prior photos of the Wagner jet examined by The AP.
This week, Prigozhin posted his first recruitment video since the mutiny, saying that Wagner is conducting reconnaissance and search activities, and “making Russia even greater on all continents, and Africa even more free.”
Also this week, Russian media reported, citing anonymous sources, that a top Russian general linked to Prigozhin — Gen. Sergei Surovikin — was dismissed from his position of the commander of Russia’s air force. Surovikin, who at one point led Russia’s operation in Ukraine, hasn’t been seen in public since the mutiny, when he recorded a video address urging Prigozhin’s forces to pull back.
As the news about the crash was breaking, Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke at an event commemorating the Battle of Kursk, hailing the heroes of Russia’s “the special military operation” in Ukraine.
veryGood! (4123)
Related
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Watch this soldier's shocked grandparents scream with joy over his unexpected visit
- How photographer Frank Stewart captured the culture of jazz, church and Black life in the US
- Yankees land dynamic Jazz Chisholm Jr. in trade with Miami Marlins
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Summer Olympic Games means special food, drinks and discounts. Here's some
- Body found in Phoenix warehouse 3 days after a storm partially collapsed the roof
- Oldest zoo in the US finds new ways to flourish. See how it is making its mark.
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Thrilling performances in swimming relays earn Team USA medals — including first gold
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Why these Apache Catholics felt faced with a ‘false choice’ after priest removed church’s icons
- Is Christian Pulisic playing in the Olympics? Why USMNT star isn't at 2024 Paris Games
- For USA climber Zach Hammer, opening ceremony cruise down Seine was 15 years in the making
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- MLB trade deadline tracker 2024: Breaking down every deal before baseball's big day
- Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi apologizes to wife for losing wedding ring at Paris opening ceremony
- Simone Biles says she has calf discomfort during Olympic gymnastics qualifying but keeps competing
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
For USA climber Zach Hammer, opening ceremony cruise down Seine was 15 years in the making
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Mixtapes
Even on quiet summer weekends, huge news stories spread to millions more swiftly than ever before
How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
Paris Olympics opening ceremony: Everything you didn't see on NBC's broadcast
Paris’ Olympics opening was wacky and wonderful — and upset bishops. Here’s why
Tom Cruise, John Legend among celebrities on hand to watch Simone Biles