Current:Home > ScamsWoman files suit against White Sox after suffering gunshot wound at 2023 game -Capitatum
Woman files suit against White Sox after suffering gunshot wound at 2023 game
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 22:25:47
A woman who suffered a gunshot wound at a Chicago White Sox game last year has filed a lawsuit against the team and the state agency that operates Guaranteed Rate Field, claiming that they failed to enforce a stadium ban on firearms and protect attendees from foreseeable dangers.
Attorney John J. Malm said last week that the suit was filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court on behalf of the woman, then 42, who is identified only as Jane Doe.
"Our client, an innocent attendee, suffered serious injuries as a result of the failure to take proper security measures, we believe," Malm said.
The woman is seeking more than $50,000 in damages, personal injuries and losses.
The incident occurred in the fourth inning of an Aug. 25, 2023, game against the Oakland A's. The plaintiff in the lawsuit was hit in the leg, while a 26-year-old woman sitting in the same section of the outfield bleachers also suffered a graze wound to her abdomen.
All things White Sox: Latest Chicago White Sox news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
The law firm denied rumors that the woman smuggled a gun into the stadium and accidentally shot herself.
When asked Tuesday by the Associated Press if detectives had determined where the shots came from, a Chicago Police spokesman would only say that the investigation remains open.
Representatives from both the White Sox media relations department and Illinois Sports Facility Authority were unavailable for comment.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Chick-fil-A will soon allow some antibiotics in its chicken. Here's when and why.
- Riley Strain's Death Appears Accidental, Police Say After Preliminary Autopsy
- FAA considers temporary action against United following series of flight mishaps, sources say
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- YouTube mom Ruby Franke case documents and videos released, detailing horrific child abuse: Big day for evil
- Will anybody beat South Carolina? It sure doesn't look like it as Gamecocks march on
- What are the 10 largest US lottery jackpots ever won?
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Nearly $2 billion is up for grabs as Mega Millions and Powerball jackpots soar
Ranking
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Milwaukee officers shoot, critically wound man when he fires at them during pursuit, police say
- This Character Is Leaving And Just Like That Ahead of Season 3
- Rescue effort turns to recovery in search for 6-year-old who fell into Pennsylvania creek
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- NBA suspends Kris Dunn, Jabari Smith for role in fight during Rockets-Jazz game
- Arthur Blank maintains Falcons didn't tamper with Kirk Cousins: 'There was nothing intentional'
- Mountain lion kills man in Northern California in state's first fatal attack in 20 years
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Bradford pear trees are banned in a few states. More are looking to replace, eradicate them.
Justin Fields 'oozes talent,' but Russell Wilson in 'pole position' for Steelers QB job
10 NFL teams that need to have strong draft classes after free agency
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Jim Harbaugh: J.J. McCarthy's killer instinct, kind heart make him best QB in 2024 NFL draft
Shohei Ohtani to make first comments since illegal gambling, theft allegations against interpreter
1 dead and 5 injured, including a police officer, after shooting near Indianapolis bar