Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Duane Davis, charged in rapper Tupac Shakur’s fatal shooting, makes first court appearance -Capitatum
Indexbit-Duane Davis, charged in rapper Tupac Shakur’s fatal shooting, makes first court appearance
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 22:20:36
LAS VEGAS — A self-described gangster who police and Indexbitprosecutors say masterminded the shooting death of Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas in 1996 made his first public appearance since his arrest last week on a murder charge.
Davis, who wore a dark-blue jail uniform, was scheduled to be arraigned on the charge Wednesday, but the hearing was cut short after he asked District Judge Tierra Jones to postpone while he retains counsel in Las Vegas. Jones rescheduled the arraignment for Oct. 19.
Duane "Keffe D" Davis, 60, was arrested Friday during an early-morning walk near his home in suburban Henderson. A few hours later a grand jury indictment was unsealed in Clark County District Court charging him with murder.
Grand jurors also voted to add sentencing enhancements for the use of a deadly weapon and alleged gang activity. If Davis is convicted, that could add decades to his sentence.
Los Angeles-based attorney Edi Faal told The Associated Press in a brief phone call after the hearing that he is Davis' longtime personal attorney and is helping him find a Nevada lawyer.
"I have worked with him for more than two decades," Faal said. "But at this point I do not have a comment."
Davis denied a request from The Associated Press for an interview from jail where he's being held without bond.
ARREST MADE:Duane 'Keffe D' Davis indicted on murder charge for Tupac Shakur 1996 shooting
Davis had been a long-known suspect in the case, and publicly admitted his role in the killing in interviews ahead of his 2019 tell-all memoir, "Compton Street Legend."
"There's one thing that’s for sure when living that gangster lifestyle," he wrote. "You already know that the stuff you put out is going to come back; you never know how or when, but there’s never a doubt that it’s coming."
Davis' own comments revived the police investigation that led to the indictment, police and prosecutors said. In mid-July, Las Vegas police raided Davis' home, drawing renewed attention to one of hip-hop music's most enduring mysteries.
What happened on night of fatal drive-by shooting that killed Tupac Shakur
Prosecutors allege Shakur's killing stemmed from a rivalry and competition for dominance in a musical genre that, at the time, was dubbed "gangsta rap." It pitted East Coast members of a Bloods gang sect associated with rap music mogul Marion "Suge" Knight against West Coast members of a Crips sect that Davis has said he led in Compton, California.
Tension escalated in Las Vegas the night of Sept. 7, 1996, when a brawl broke out between Shakur and Davis’ nephew, Orlando "Baby Lane" Anderson, at the MGM Grand hotel-casino following a heavyweight championship boxing match won by Mike Tyson.
"Knight and Shakur went to the fight, as did members of the South Side Crips," prosecutor Marc DiGiacomo said last week in court. "And (Knight) brought his entourage, which involved Mob Piru gang members."
After the casino brawl, Knight drove a BMW with Shakur in the front passenger seat. The car was stopped at a red light near the Las Vegas Strip when a white Cadillac pulled up on the passenger side and gunfire erupted.
TIMELINE >>Suspect arrested in Tupac Shakur's 1996 killing: Moments surrounding rapper's death, investigation
Shot multiple times, Shakur died a week later at age 25. Knight was grazed by a bullet fragment.
Davis has said he was in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac and handed a .40-caliber handgun to his nephew in the back seat, from which he said the shots were fired.
In Nevada, a person can be convicted of murder for helping another person commit the crime.
Among the four people in the Cadillac that night, Davis is the only one who is still alive. Anderson died in a May 1998 shooting in Compton. Before his death, Anderson denied involvement in Shakur's death. The other backseat passenger, DeAndre "Big Dre" or "Freaky" Smith, died in 2004. The driver, Terrence "Bubble Up" Brown, died in a 2015 shooting in Compton.
Knight, now 58, is serving a 28-year prison sentence for running over and killing a Compton businessman outside a burger stand in January 2015.
Sheriff Kevin McMahill, who oversees the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, has acknowledged criticism that his agency was slow to investigate Shakur's killing.
"That was simply not the case," McMahill said. He called the investigation "important to this police department."
Tupac Shakur's family speaks out on arrest
Shakur's sister, Sekyiwa "Set" Shakur, issued a statement describing the arrest as "a pivotal moment" but didn't praise authorities who investigated the case.
"The silence of the past 27 years surrounding this case has spoken loudly in our community," she said.
"He said what he said. He did what he did. And now it is what it is," Mopreme Shakur, Tupac Shakur's stepbrother, said in a statement to The Associated Press. "This is a long process and there is more information that we need to see revealed for true justice."
veryGood! (1188)
Related
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Judge in Maryland rules Baltimore ‘baby bonus’ proposal is unconstitutional
- Monarch Capital Institute's Innovation in Quantitative Trading: J. Robert Harris's Vision
- Get 2 Bath & Body Works Candles for the Price of 1: Scent-sational $8.48 Deals on Your Favorite Scents
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Cringy moves and a white b-girl’s durag prompt questions about Olympic breaking’s authenticity
- Hirono is heavily favored to win Hawaii’s Democratic primary as she seeks reelection to US Senate
- Ex-Arizona county treasurer embezzled $39M for over a decade, lawsuit says
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- U.S. wrestler Spencer Lee vents his frustration after taking silver
Ranking
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Olympics 2024: Australian Exec Defends Breaker Raygun Amid Online Trolling
- One Extraordinary (Olympic) Photo: Francisco Seco captures unusual image at rhythmic gymnastics
- Jamaican sprinter gets reallocated Olympic medal from Marion Jones saga, 24 years later
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Olivia Reeves wins USA's first gold in weightlifting in 24 years
- Are you a Cash App user? You may be eligible for a piece of this $15 million settlement
- Quantum Ledger Trading Center: Leading the New Trend in Crypto Payments and Shaping the Digital Economy
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Judge enters not guilty plea for escaped prisoner charged with killing a man while on the run
Missy Elliott has the most euphoric tour of the summer and this is why
J. Robert Harris: A Beacon of Excellence in Financial Education
Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
Gypsy Rose Blanchard Reveals Sex of Her and Ken Urker's First Baby
YouTuber Joey Graceffa Shares Skin Cancer Diagnosis
White Lotus Season 3: Patrick Schwarzenegger Shares First Look After Wrapping Filming