Current:Home > ContactBurning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say -Capitatum
Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 03:10:25
Stranded Burning Man festival goers began heading home on Monday as a driving ban was lifted in the northern Nevada desert.
Tens of thousands of people had been stuck after flooding forced attendees to shelter in place. As of midday Monday, approximately 63,000 people remained on site, according to Burning Man.
"Exodus operations" began at 2 p.m. local time, organizers said. Though the driving ban was lifted, attendees were advised to consider holding off on trips home until Tuesday to alleviate congestion. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office was helping organize departures from the Black Rock Desert.
"We understand participants are eager to return home, but safety is our top priority," Sheriff Darin Balaam said.
A Friday downpour had turned the festival grounds and surrounding areas into a muddy mess, leaving the roads impassable. The Burning Man entrance was shut down on Saturday, the Washoe County Sheriff's Office said.
"You don't expect this kind of rain and the effect," attendee Paul Tan said.
One person died during the festival. The death occurred during the extreme rain, but not because of it, the Pershing County Sheriff's Office confirmed.
The White House on Sunday said that President Biden had been briefed on the flooding at Burning Man and that administration officials were "monitoring the situation and are in touch with state and local officials."
While people were unable to hop into cars to leave the gathering, some opted to trek through the mud on foot, including superstar DJ and music producer Diplo. He shared a video to social media Saturday afternoon that showed several people riding on the back of a truck leaving the festival, one of whom appeared to be comedian Chris Rock.
"Just walked 5 miles in the mud out of burning man with chris rock and a fan picked us up," Diplo wrote.
Burning Man's organizers asked people not to walk out of the festival on Monday.
Despite the messy conditions, attendee Elizabeth Downing told CBS News she felt safe and comfortable at the festival.
"We were all there as a community and we actually came together and made the best of it," Downing said.
Many will stick around to watch an effigy being burned on Monday night. The burning typically signifies the end of the gathering, which was first launched in 1986. The burning had been postponed because of the weather conditions.
- In:
- Burning Man
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (46994)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Jelly Roll gives powerful speech to Congress on fentanyl: What to know about the singer
- Michigan to pay $1.75 million to innocent man after 35 years in prison
- War in Gaza, election factor into some of the many events planned for MLK holiday
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- Donald Trump ordered to pay The New York Times and its reporters nearly $400,000 in legal fees
- Italy’s justice minister nixes extradition of priest sought by Argentina in murder-torture cases
- Former Pennsylvania defense attorney sentenced to jail for pressuring clients into sex
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- 2 rescued after SUV gets stuck 10 feet in the air between trees in Massachusetts
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Oregon Supreme Court keeps Trump on primary ballot
- House Republicans shy away from Trump and Rep. Elise Stefanik's use of term Jan. 6 hostages
- Advocates Welcome EPA’s Proposed Pollution Restrictions On Trash Incineration. But Environmental Justice Concerns Remain.
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Mary Lou Retton's health insurance explanation sparks some mental gymnastics
- Advocates Welcome EPA’s Proposed Pollution Restrictions On Trash Incineration. But Environmental Justice Concerns Remain.
- Advocates Welcome EPA’s Proposed Pollution Restrictions On Trash Incineration. But Environmental Justice Concerns Remain.
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Mass shooting at Buffalo supermarket now Justice Department’s first death penalty case under Garland
The US struggles to sway Israel on its treatment of Palestinians. Why Netanyahu is unlikely to yield
Bodies of 9 men found in vehicles near fuel pipeline in Mexico
Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
'Get wild': Pepsi ad campaign pokes fun at millennial parents during NFL Wild Card weekend
Blinken meets Chinese and Japanese diplomats, seeks stability as Taiwan voters head to the polls
Watch this little girl with progressive hearing loss get a furry new best friend