Current:Home > MarketsVenice is limiting tourist groups to 25 people starting in June to protect the popular lagoon city -Capitatum
Venice is limiting tourist groups to 25 people starting in June to protect the popular lagoon city
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 20:12:47
MILAN (AP) — The Italian city of Venice announced new limits Saturday on the size of tourist groups, the latest move to reduce the pressure of mass tourism on the famed canal city.
Starting in June, groups will be limited to 25 people, or roughly half the capacity of a tourist bus, and the use of loudspeakers, “which can generate confusion and disturbances,” will be banned, the city said in a statement.
The city official charged with security, Elisabetta Pesce, said the policies were aimed at improving the movement of groups through Venice’s historic center as well as the heavily visited islands of Murano, Burano and Torcello.
The city previously announced plans to test a new day-tripper fee this year. The 5 euros ($5.45) per person fee will be applied on 29 peak days between April and mid-July, including most weekends. It is intended to regulate crowds, encourage longer visits and improve the quality of life for Venice residents.
The U.N. cultural agency cited tourism’s impact on the fragile lagoon city as a major factor in it twice considering placing Venice on UNESCO’s list of heritage sites in danger.
The city escaped the first time by limiting the arrival of large cruise ships through the Giudecca Canal and again in September when it announced the roll-out of the day-tripper charge, which had been delayed when tourism declined during the COVID-19 pandemic.
veryGood! (74)
Related
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- COVID flashback: On Jan. 30, 2020, WHO declared a global health emergency
- With Oil Sands Ambitions on a Collision Course With Climate Change, Exxon Still Stepping on the Gas
- Job Boom in Michigan, as Clean Energy Manufacturing Drives Economic Recovery
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Activist Alice Wong reflects on 'The Year of the Tiger' and her hopes for 2023
- 50 years after Roe v. Wade, many abortion providers are changing how they do business
- What kind of perfectionist are you? Take this 7-question quiz to find out
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Take on Summer Nights With These Must-Have Cooling Blankets for Hot Sleepers
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- All the Dazzling Details Behind Beyoncé's Sun-Washed Blonde Look for Her Renaissance Tour
- Ariana Madix Reveals the Shocking First Time She Learned Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss Had Sex
- Nursing home owners drained cash while residents deteriorated, state filings suggest
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- New tech gives hope for a million people with epilepsy
- A sleeping man dreamed someone broke into his home. He fired at the intruder and shot himself, authorities say.
- We asked, you answered: More global buzzwords for 2023, from precariat to solastalgia
Recommendation
New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
State Clean Energy Mandates Have Little Effect on Electricity Rates So Far
Some Muslim Americans Turn To Faith For Guidance On Abortion
The FDA proposes new targets to limit lead in baby food
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
New tech gives hope for a million people with epilepsy
COVID-19 is a leading cause of death among children, but is still rare
Who's most likely to save us from the next pandemic? The answer may surprise you