Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-A judge told Kansas authorities to destroy electronic copies of newspaper’s files taken during raid -Capitatum
PredictIQ-A judge told Kansas authorities to destroy electronic copies of newspaper’s files taken during raid
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:31:51
Kansas authorities must destroy all electronic copies they made of a small newspaper’s files when police raided its office this month,PredictIQ a judge ordered Tuesday, nearly two weeks after computers and cellphones seized in the search were returned.
The Aug. 11 searches of the Marion County Record’s office and the homes of its publisher and a City Council member have been sharply criticized, putting Marion, a central Kansas town of about 1,900 people, at the center of a debate over the press protections offered by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Attorney Bernie Rhodes, who represents the newspaper, said a judge ordered authorities to hand over those electronic records and destroy any copies they have of them along with all photographs that officers took during the raids.
The local prosecutor and sheriff agreed investigators shouldn’t keep that evidence, but Rhodes insisted on a court order to document it. It won’t be clear what files were on the drive until Rhodes gets a copy.
Authorities returned the computers and cellphones they took during the raids after the prosecutor decided there was insufficient evidence to justify their seizure. A few days later the newspaper learned from court documents about the thumb drive with an electronic copy of thousands of files taken from its computers. It wasn’t disclosed in the initial search warrant inventory.
It’s not clear what additional steps authorities might take. Neither city officials nor the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, which is looking into reporters’ actions, are saying much.
City Council members refused to discuss the raids at their meeting last week, and the mayor didn’t answer text message questions Tuesday about whether the raids will be on the next agenda. A spokeswoman for the KBI said it’s impossible to predict how long that agency’s investigation will take.
Insurance companies for the city and the county have hired lawyers to prepare for possible lawsuits, including one promised by the newspaper’s publisher.
Supporters of the small Kansas newspaper can now order T-shirts emblazoned with the Marion County Record’s defiant headline “SEIZED but not silenced” that led its front page in the first edition after the raids. The plain black shirts feature the headline in block letters across the front along with the date of the raids.
The Kansas Press Association organized the T-shirt sale to show support for the newspaper. Executive Director Emily Bradbury said proceeds from the $24.49 shirts and $40.49 hoodies and other items that are supposed to be ready next week will go to the Kansas Newspaper Foundation that supports publications like the Marion County Record across the state.
The raids came after a local restaurant owner accused the newspaper of illegally accessing information about her. A spokesman for the agency that maintains those records has said the newspaper’s online search that a reporter did was likely legal even though the reporter needed personal information about the restaurant owner that a tipster provided to look up her driving record.
Police Chief Gideon Cody didn’t respond to an email seeking comment Tuesday. He said in affidavits used to obtain the search warrants that he had probable cause to believe the newspaper and City Council member Ruth Herbel, whose home was also raided, had violated state laws against identity theft or computer crimes.
The newspaper’s publisher Eric Meyer has said the identity theft allegations simply provided a convenient excuse for the search after his reporters had been digging for background on Cody, who was appointed this summer.
Legal experts believe the raid on the newspaper violated a federal privacy law or a state law shielding journalists from having to identify sources or turn over unpublished material to law enforcement.
Video of the raid on the home of publisher Eric Meyer shows how distraught his 98-year-old mother became as officers searched through their belongings. Meyer said he believes that stress contributed to the death of his mother, Joan Meyer, a day later.
veryGood! (7833)
Related
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Activist paralyzed from neck down fights government, strengthens disability rights for all
- Fantasy football rankings for 2024: Niners' Christian McCaffrey back on top
- Chet Hanks, Kim Zolciak and Macy Gray Detail “Sexual” and “Weird” Surreal Life Experience
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Taylor Swift finally sings long awaited 'Reputation' track
- Love Island USA’s Kaylor Martin Is Done Crying Over Aaron Evans
- Alabama says law cannot block people with certain felony convictions from voting in 2024 election
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Why Ryan Reynolds 'kicked' himself for delayed 'Deadpool' tribute to Rob Delaney's son
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Oprah honors 'pioneer' Phil Donahue for proving daytime TV should be 'taken seriously'
- Taylor Swift Meets With Families Affected by Stabbing Attack at Event in England
- Kerry Washington, Tony Goldwyn, Mindy Kaling to host Democratic National Convention
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Biden’s offer of a path to US citizenship for spouses leaves some out
- Charli XCX Is Very Brat, Very Demure in Kim Kardashian’s Latest SKIMS Launch— Shop Styles Starting at $18
- Phil Donahue, Talk Show Legend and Husband of Marlo Thomas, Dead at 88
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
PHOTO COLLECTION: DNC Protests
‘Hitting kids should never be allowed’: Illinois bans corporal punishment in all schools
16-month-old dead, 2 boys injured after father abducts them, crashes vehicle in Maryland, police say
Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
Winona Ryder Teases “Bittersweet” Final Season of Stranger Things
Tech Magnate Mike Lynch and Daughter Among 6 People Missing After Yacht Sinks Off Sicily Coast
Semi-truck catches fire, shuts down California interstate for 16 hours