Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Police say Minnesota man dressed as delivery driver in home invasion turned triple homicide -Capitatum
EchoSense:Police say Minnesota man dressed as delivery driver in home invasion turned triple homicide
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 01:22:39
A Minnesota man was charged with murder Monday after authorities say he posed as a package delivery driver,EchoSense entered a home and demanded money before he shot three people in the head, including at least one at point-blank range.
Alonzo Pierre Mingo, 37, was charged with three counts of second-degree murder, with intent, for Friday’s killings in a suburban Minneapolis house, which authorities say happened as two children under the age of 5 were present. He’s jailed on a $5 million bond.
Mingo made his first court appearance on Monday and was denied a public defender. Online court records do not list an attorney and it was not immediately clear if he had one who who could comment on his behalf. A man who confirmed he was Mingo’s brother hung up when reached by The Associated Press and asked about Mingo’s criminal charges.
Coon Rapids police said they received an emergency call to the home Friday. When they arrived, they found two dead men and a dead woman, all with gunshot wounds to their heads.
Video footage from outside the home showed three people leaving Mingo’s car on Friday and entering the home, police said. Two were dressed as delivery drivers, and one carried a cardboard box, according to authorities.
Footage from a home camera showed Mingo, dressed in a UPS-style uniform, lead a man at gunpoint into a bedroom where a woman and two children under the age of 5 were, according to a police description of the video. Police said the video shows Mingo held the man and woman at gunpoint and demanded money, then led the group from the room.
He returned to the room with only the woman, then shot her at point-blank range, according to police.
“The older child can be seen entering the bedroom shortly thereafter, crying hysterically,” Coon Rapids police wrote in a probable cause statement.
The younger child later tried to check on the woman, but the older child pulled them away and out of the room, according to the statement.
Police did not note in the probable cause statement whether any money or valuables were missing from the home.
When officers arrived, they found one of the deceased men in the house’s doorway, another was in an office. The woman’s body was found in the bedroom.
Video shows Mingo and two other adults left the home seven minutes after entering it, the probable cause affidavit says. Police found Mingo driving the vehicle several hours later and arrested him. Mingo is from Fridley, another Minneapolis suburb less than 10 miles (16 kilometers) away from Coon Rapids.
The criminal complaint makes no mention of charges against the other two suspects who entered the home.
Police said Mingo had been employed at UPS until early January. They found a UPS delivery uniform top and vest in a backpack in Mingo’s vehicle. Fingerprints on the cardboard box brought into the home match Mingo’s, according to police.
UPS spokesperson Karen Tomaszewski Hill said in an email that Mingo was a seasonal employee “who only worked for the company for a short time” until mid-January.
“As this is an active investigation, we will defer to investigating authorities for additional questions,” she said.
In Minnesota, second-degree murder, with intent, carries a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison, though sentencing guidelines usually call for a presumptive sentence that is less than that, depending on the defendant’s criminal history.
The sentencing guidelines say that even though they are advisory, presumptive sentences “are deemed appropriate” and judges should depart from them only when “substantial and compelling circumstances can be identified and articulated.”
Prosecutors said they plan to seek a sentence that goes above the guidelines due to aggravating factors in this case. Among them, they say, the victims were treated with particular cruelty and the killings happened while two young children were present.
Minnesota’s sentencing guidelines were created to establish consistent sentences that are neutral without considering factors such as race or gender.
———
Associated Press writer Jack Dura contributed to this report.
veryGood! (81569)
Related
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Social media influencer says Dolphins’ Tyreek Hill broke her leg during football drill at his home
- Why Josh Brolin Regrets S--tting on This Movie He Did
- Wind advisories grip the Midwest as storms move east after overnight tornado warnings
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- How gun accessories called bump stocks ended up before the U.S. Supreme Court
- Utah House kills bill banning LGBTQ+ Pride flags and political views from classrooms
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed after Wall Street slips lower and bitcoin bounces higher
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- North Carolina’s 5 open congressional seats drawing candidates in droves
Ranking
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- Caitlin Clark’s 33-point game moves her past Lynette Woodard for the major college scoring record
- Congressional leaders strike deal on government funding as shutdown looms
- Pregnant Sofia Richie Candidly Shares She's Afraid of Getting Stretch Marks
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Kate Hudson Reveals Why She Let Fear Fuel Her New Music Career
- What is leap day? Is 2024 a leap year? Everything you need to know about Feb. 29
- Founder of New York narcotics delivery service gets 12 years for causing 3 overdose deaths
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Anheuser-Busch, Teamsters reach labor agreement that avoids US strike
I Used to Travel for a Living - Here Are 16 Travel Essentials That Are Always On My Packing List
A billionaire-backed campaign for a new California city is off to a bumpy start
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Here's how much money you need to be a part of the 1%
Google CEO Sundar Pichai says its AI app problems are completely unacceptable
‘Naked Gun’ reboot set for 2025, with Liam Neeson to star