Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:The ship that brought down a Baltimore bridge to be removed from collapse site in the coming weeks -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:The ship that brought down a Baltimore bridge to be removed from collapse site in the coming weeks
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:24:31
BALTIMORE (AP) — At the site of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse,SafeX Pro crews plan to refloat and remove the grounded Dali container ship within roughly the next 10 days, allowing more maritime traffic to resume through Baltimore’s port.
The ship, which lost power and crashed into one of the bridge’s supporting columns, has been stationary amid the wreckage since the March 26 collapse. Officials expect to have it removed by May 10, according to a news release Tuesday from the Port of Baltimore.
Six members of a roadwork crew plunged to their deaths in the disaster. Four bodies have been recovered while two remain missing.
Crews have identified “areas of interest” where they believe the bodies could be, but they’ve been unable to access them so far, Maryland State Police Superintendent Roland Butler said during a news conference Tuesday afternoon.
“We’re working in generalizations of areas where we think they should be, based on sonar images and other mapping techniques,” he said.
Officials declined to provide a projected timeline for how long the cleanup will continue and when the victims’ families can expect to be made whole. So far, 3,300 tons of debris have been removed from the Patapsco River.
“What we know is that we’re putting forth every single asset that we have at our disposal to bring closure to these families,” Gov. Wes Moore said during the news conference.
Last week, officials opened a temporary deep-draft channel that allowed some stranded cargo ships to finally leave the Port of Baltimore. Others entered the port through the channel, which closed Monday so crews could focus on extracting the Dali from the wreckage.
A large span of the steel bridge came crashing down on the Dali’s bow, damaging the ship and destroying some of its containers. Removing those pieces of bridge is the next major priority in the cleanup process, officials said.
“That work is remarkably complicated,” Moore said, because cutting the spans into shorter sections could risk destabilizing other pieces of wreckage.
Crews are using the largest hydraulic grabber in the country to help in that effort, he said.
Once the Dali returns to port, officials said they expect to open a 45-foot channel by May 10 that can accommodate more large cargo ships. They plan to fully restore the port’s 50-foot main channel by the end of May.
Thousands of longshoremen, truckers and small business owners have seen their jobs impacted by the collapse, prompting local and state officials to prioritize fully reopening the port in hopes of easing the economic ripple effects of the collapse. Officials have also established various assistance programs for unemployed workers and others impacted by the closure.
—
Brian Witte contributed from Annapolis, Maryland.
veryGood! (78785)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- The 15 Best Black Friday 2023 Tech Deals That Are Too Good to Be True: Bose, Apple & More
- Turkey’s central bank hikes interest rates again as it tries to tame eye-watering inflation
- Ms. Rachel announces toy line in the works, asking families everywhere: 'What should we make?'
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- In political shift to the far right, anti-Islam populist Geert Wilders wins big in Dutch elections
- Main Taiwan opposition party announces vice presidential candidate as hopes for alliance fracture
- A salary to be grateful for, and other Thanksgiving indicators
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Suspended Alabama priest married the 18-year-old he fled to Italy with, records show
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Longer droughts in Zimbabwe take a toll on wildlife and cause more frequent clashes with people
- Dozens evacuate and 10 homes are destroyed by a wildfire burning out of control on the edge of Perth
- Fiji’s leader says he hopes to work with China in upgrading his country’s shipyards and ports
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- 28 Black Friday 2023 Home Deals That Are Too Good to Pass Up, From Dyson to Pottery Barn
- The anti-Black Friday: How else to spend the day after Thanksgiving, from hiking to baking
- Washoe County school superintendent’s resignation prompts search for 5th new boss in 10 years
Recommendation
Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
Tens of thousands of protesters demanding a restoration of Nepal’s monarchy clash with police
Thanksgiving Grandma Wanda Dench and Jamal Hinton Reunite for Holiday for 8th Year
Dozens evacuate and 10 homes are destroyed by a wildfire burning out of control on the edge of Perth
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Suspended Alabama priest married the 18-year-old he fled to Italy with, records show
Thousands led by Cuba’s president march in Havana in solidarity with Palestinian people
Former St. Louis alderman in fraud case also charged with lying to police