Current:Home > ScamsJudge blocks Arkansas law requiring parental OK for minors to create social media accounts -Capitatum
Judge blocks Arkansas law requiring parental OK for minors to create social media accounts
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 10:47:03
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — A federal judge on Thursday temporarily blocked Arkansas from enforcing a new law that would have required parental consent for minors to create new social media accounts, preventing the state from becoming the first to impose such a restriction.
U.S. District Judge Timothy L. Brooks granted a preliminary injunction that NetChoice — a tech industry trade group whose members include TikTok, Facebook parent Meta, and X, formerly known as Twitter — had requested against the law. The measure, which Republican Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed into law in April, was set to take effect Friday.
Arkansas’ law is similar to a first-in-the-nation restriction signed into law earlier this year in Utah. That law is not set to take effect until March 2024. NetChoice last year filed a lawsuit challenging a California law requiring tech companies to put kids’ safety first by barring them from profiling children or using personal information in ways that could harm children physically or mentally.
In a 50-page ruling, Brooks said NetChoice was likely to succeed in its challenge to the Arkansas law’s constitutionality and questioned the effectiveness of the restrictions.
“Age-gating social media platforms for adults and minors does not appear to be an effective approach when, in reality, it is the content on particular platforms that is driving the state’s true concerns,” wrote Brooks, who was appointed to the bench by former President Barack Obama.
Similar laws placing restrictions on minors’ use of social media have been enacted in Texas and Louisiana, which also aren’t scheduled to take effect until next year. Top Republicans in Georgia have said they’ll push for a parental consent measure in the Legislature next year, and some members of Congress have proposed similar legislation.
NetChoice argued the requirement violated the constitutional rights of users and arbitrarily singled out types of speech that would be restricted.
“We’re pleased the court sided with the First Amendment and stopped Arkansas’ unconstitutional law from censoring free speech online and undermining the privacy of Arkansans, their families and their businesses as our case proceeds,” Chris Marchese, director of the NetChoice Litigation Center, said in a statement. “We look forward to seeing the law struck down permanently.”
Arkansas’ restrictions would have only applied to social media platforms that generate more than $100 million in annual revenue. It also wouldn’t have applied to certain platforms, including LinkedIn, Google and YouTube.
Social media companies have faced increasing scrutiny over their platforms’ effect on teen mental health, one of the concerns Sanders cited as she pushed for the legislation.
U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy has warned that there is not enough evidence to show that social media is safe for children and teens and called on tech companies to take “immediate action to protect kids now.” Meta announced in June it was adding some new parental supervision tools and privacy features to its platforms.
Social media companies that knowingly violate the age verification requirement would have faced a $2,500 fine for each violation under the now-blocked law. The law also prohibited social media companies and third-party vendors from retaining users’ identifying information after they’ve been granted access to the social media site.
veryGood! (2914)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Shots fired at Trump rally: Trump opponents and allies condemn violence
- Shots fired at Trump rally: Trump opponents and allies condemn violence
- Jennie Garth Details Truth of Real Friendship With Shannen Doherty After 90210 Costar's Death
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Alyssa Milano honors Shannen Doherty after 'complicated relationship'
- Jacoby Jones, a star of Baltimore’s most recent Super Bowl title run, has died at age 40
- Barbora Krejcikova wins Wimbledon for her second Grand Slam trophy by beating Jasmine Paolini
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- Caitlin Clark's next game: Indiana Fever vs. Minnesota Lynx on Sunday
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Olympic Scandals That Shook the Sports World
- All-Star Jalen Brunson takes less money with new contract to bolster New York Knicks
- Trump says bullet pierced the upper part of my right ear when shots were fired at Pennsylvania rally
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- NBA Cup draw reveals six, five-team groups for 2024-25 in-season tournament
- Reagan survived an assassination attempt and his response changed the trajectory of his presidency
- Judge dismisses Rudy Giuliani's bankruptcy case, clearing way for collectors to pursue debts
Recommendation
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Alec Baldwin Rust shooting trial continues as prosecution builds case
Carlos Alcaraz dominates Novak Djokovic to win Wimbledon men's title
Shannen Doherty Dead at 53: 90210 Costars Jason Priestley, Brian Austin Green and More Pay Tribute
Travis Hunter, the 2
Carlos Alcaraz should make Novak Djokovic a bit nervous about his Grand Slam record
Can a Medicaid plan that requires work succeed? First year of Georgia experiment is not promising
Former President Donald Trump Safe After Shooting During Rally