Current:Home > InvestA voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed -Capitatum
A voter’s challenge to having Trump’s name on North Carolina’s primary ballot has been dismissed
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:32:52
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s election board threw out on Tuesday a voter’s challenge to keep former President Donald Trump off the March presidential primary ballots that argues that the Constitution disqualifies Trump because of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
The State Board of Elections, composed of three Democrats and two Republicans, voted 4-1 to dismiss the candidate challenge made by Brian Martin, of Stokes County. The majority determined that it lacked the authority in state law to consider such a challenge. The rejection of the challenge could be appealed to state court.
Martin, a business consultant and retired lawyer, wrote that Trump wasn’t qualified to be president because he violated a section of the 14th Amendment that bars from office anyone who once took an oath to uphold the Constitution but then “engaged” in “insurrection or rebellion” against it. The provision was used primarily after the Civil War to keep former confederates out of government.
Trump opponents argue the section applies to the ex-president for his part in trying to overturn the 2020 presidential election and encouraging his backers to storm the U.S. Capitol. Lawsuits in other states seeking to keep him off the ballot have been unsuccessful.
Board members said Tuesday that the ruling didn’t prevent someone from trying to challenge Trump’s candidacy for the general election should he win the GOP nomination, WRAL-TV reported. Siobhan Millen, a Democrat and the lone vote against dismissing the challenge, said the board was “hiding behind a technicality” to avoid the issue now.
The dismissal came as the state board gave initial approval to names of the presidential candidates that will be on the March 5 primary ballots for the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian parties.
The board approved the candidates offered by party leaders earlier this month. The board will meet Jan. 2 to consider additional names before ballots are printed.
State law directed the parties earlier this month to provide lists that must have candidates “whose candidacy is generally advocated and recognized in the news media throughout the United States or in North Carolina.”
The state Democratic Party listed only President Joe Biden. Other announced candidates like U.S. Rep. Dean Phillips, D-Minn., and Marianne Williamson were omitted.
In addition to Trump, the state GOP’s letter identified Ryan Binkley, Chris Christie, Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Asa Hutchinson and Vivek Ramaswamy. The Libertarian Party listed 10 names for their presidential primary ballot.
The Green Party and the No Labels Party also are official parties in North Carolina. They can offer presidential tickets in 2024 to place on the general election ballots.
veryGood! (69618)
Related
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- NCT's TEN talks debut solo album and what fans can expect: 'I want them to see me first'
- Alice Paul Tapper to publish picture book inspired by medical misdiagnosis
- Sister Wives' Christine Brown Shares Messy Glance at Marriage to David Woolley
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Jury selection begins for trial of “Rust” armorer in fatal 2021 shooting by Alec Baldwin
- Beyoncé's 'Texas Hold 'Em' debuts at No. 1 on the country chart
- Cocaine washes ashore near mystery shipwreck that caused massive oil spill in Trinidad and Tobago
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- You’ll Be Crazy in Love with How Beyoncé Just Made History—Again
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Cincinnati Reds' Elly De La Cruz makes spring impact – on teammate Hunter Greene's car
- West Virginia bill allowing librarians to be prosecuted over 'obscene' books moves forward
- NCT's TEN talks debut solo album and what fans can expect: 'I want them to see me first'
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Wind Power Is Taking Over A West Virginia Coal Town. Will The Residents Embrace It?
- Biden to create cybersecurity standards for nation’s ports as concerns grow over vulnerabilities
- 3-year-old hospitalized after family's recreational vehicle plunged through frozen lake
Recommendation
NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
Flint man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s new gun storage law
College student who shares flight information for Taylor Swift's jet responds to her lawyers' cease-and-desist: Look What You Made Me Do
Alabama seeks to carry out second execution using controversial nitrogen gas method
NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
Piglet finds new home after rescuer said he was tossed like a football at a Mardi Gras celebration
Solange toys with the idea of a tuba album: 'I can only imagine the eye rolls'
Some international flights are exceeding 800 mph due to high winds. One flight arrived almost an hour early.