Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Heavy fighting in south Gaza as Israel presses ahead with renewed US military and diplomatic support -Capitatum
Robert Brown|Heavy fighting in south Gaza as Israel presses ahead with renewed US military and diplomatic support
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 05:05:10
RAFAH,Robert Brown Gaza Strip (AP) — Heavy fighting raged overnight and into Sunday in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis, as Israel pressed ahead with its offensive after the U.S. blocked the latest international efforts to halt the fighting and rushed more munitions to its close ally.
Israel has faced rising international outrage and calls for a cease-fire after the killing of thousands of Palestinian civilians and the displacement of nearly 85% of Gaza’s 2.3 million people within the besieged territory, where U.N. agencies say there is no safe place to flee.
But the United States has lent vital support to the offensive once again in recent days, by vetoing United Nations Security Council efforts to end the fighting that enjoyed wide international support, and by pushing through an emergency sale of over $100 million worth of tank ammunition to Israel.
The U.S. has pledged unwavering support for Israel’s goal of crushing Hamas’ military and governing abilities in order to prevent any repeat of the Oct. 7 attack that triggered the war. Hamas and other Palestinian militants stormed into southern Israel that day, killing some 1,200 people and capturing some 240, over 100 of whom were released during a weeklong cease-fire late last month.
In response to the attack, Israel launched a devastating air and ground war that has killed thousands of Palestinians, mostly civilians, and forced some 1.9 million people to flee their homes, according to U.N. agencies. With only a trickle of aid allowed in, and delivery rendered impossible in much of the territory, Palestinians face severe shortages of food, water and other basic goods.
Israeli forces continue to face heavy resistance, even in northern Gaza, where entire neighborhoods have been flattened by air strikes and where troops have been operating for over six weeks.
In Khan Younis, where ground forces moved in earlier this month, residents said they heard constant gunfire and explosions through the night as warplanes bombarded areas in and around the southern city, Gaza’s second largest.
“It doesn’t stop,” said Radwa Abu Frayeh, who lives close to the European Hospital in Khan Younis. “There’s bombing, and then the ambulances head out to bring back victims.”
DETENTIONS IN THE NORTH
Israel ordered the evacuation of the northern third of the territory, including Gaza City, early in the war, but tens of thousands of people are believed to have remained there, fearing that the south would be no safer or that they would never be allowed to return to their homes.
In recent days, videos and photos have emerged showing the detention of dozens of men who were stripped to their underwear, bound and blindfolded. The Israeli military says it is detaining people as it searches for remaining pockets of Hamas fighters.
Israel’s Channel 13 TV broadcast footage showing dozens of detainees stripped to their underwear with their hands in the air. Several held assault rifles above their heads, and one man could be seen slowly walking forward and placing a gun on the ground before returning to the group. Israeli media pointed to such scenes as evidence that Hamas was collapsing in the north.
Men from a separate group of detainees who were released on Saturday told The Associated Press they had been beaten and denied food and water.
Osama Oula said Israeli troops had ordered him and others out of a building in Gaza City before bounding their hands with zip ties, beating them for several days and giving them little water to drink. Ahmad Nimr Salman showed his hands, marked and swollen from the zip ties.
He said the troops asked if they were with Hamas. “We say ‘no,’ then they would slap us or kick us.” He said his 17-year-old son Amjad is still held by the troops.
The group was released after five days and told to walk south. Ten freed detainees arrived at a hospital in Deir al-Balah on Saturday after flagging down an ambulance. The Israeli military had no comment when asked about the alleged abuse.
NO SAFE PLACES
With the war in its third month, the Palestinian death toll in Gaza has surpassed 17,700, the majority women and children, according to the Health Ministry in the Hamas-controlled territory. The ministry does not differentiate between civilian and combatant deaths.
Israel holds Hamas responsible for civilian casualties, saying it uses civilians as human shields in dense residential areas. The military says 97 Israeli soldiers have died in the ground offensive. Palestinians militants have also continued firing rockets into Israel.
Israel says it has provided detailed instructions for civilians to evacuate to safer areas, even as it continues to strike what it says are militant targets in all parts of the territory. Thousands have fled to the southern town of Rafah and other areas along the border with Egypt in recent days — one of the last areas where aid agencies are able to deliver food and water.
Israel has designated a narrow patch of barren southern coastline, Muwasi, as a safe zone. But Palestinians described desperately overcrowded conditions with scant shelter and no toilets. They faced an overnight temperature of around 11 degrees Celsius (52 degrees Fahrenheit).
“I am sleeping on the sand. It’s freezing,” said Soad Qarmoot, who described herself as a cancer patient forced to leave her home in the northern town of Beit Lahiya.
As she spoke, her children huddled around a fire.
___
Magdy reported from Cairo.
___
Full AP coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war
veryGood! (71)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- Kylie Jenner Is Officially in Her Mom Jeans Era
- How a mix of natural and human-caused caused factors cooked up Tropical Storm Hilary’s soggy mess
- FEMA administrator Deanne Criswell says emergency funds could be depleted within weeks
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Hawaii Gov. Josh Green calls ex-emergency manager's response utterly unsatisfactory to the world
- Zelenskyy thanks Denmark for pledging to send F-16s for use against Russia’s invading forces
- Watch Hilary press conference live: Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass shares updates on storm
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Global food security is at crossroads as rice shortages and surging prices hit the most vulnerable
Ranking
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- 14 people were shot, one fatally, in the same Milwaukee neighborhood, police say
- 14 people were shot, one fatally, in the same Milwaukee neighborhood, police say
- Environmental groups sue to keep Virginia in Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Italian cheesemakers microchip parmesan in bid to fight copycats
- Demi Lovato Gets the Last Laugh on That Poot Meme With Hilarious Birthday Treat
- 3 deaths linked to listeria in milkshakes sold at Washington restaurant
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Nevada assemblywoman announces congressional bid in swing district
Rights group says Saudi Arabia border guards fired on and killed hundreds of Ethiopian migrants
Three years after a foiled plot to kidnap Michigan’s governor, the final trial is set to begin
Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
Summer House Star Paige DeSorbo Shares Her Top 20 Beauty Products
Weather service confirms fifth tornado among a spate of twisters to hit New England last week
You'll Buzz Over Blake Lively's Latest Photo of Sexy Ryan Reynolds