Current:Home > MyGen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says -Capitatum
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 02:45:57
Retired Gen. Mark Milley, who served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the Trump and Biden administrations, has had both his security detail and his security clearance revoked, the Pentagon says.
New Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth "informed General Milley today that he is revoking the authorization for his security detail and suspending his security clearance as well," Pentagon spokesman John Ullyot told CBS News in a statement Tuesday night.
Ullyot said Hegseth "also directed" the Defense Department's Office of Inspector General to "conduct an inquiry into the facts and circumstances surrounding Gen. Milley's conduct so that the Secretary may determine whether it is appropriate to reopen his military grade review determination."
Acting Defense Department Inspector General Stephen Stebbins received a request to review whether Milley, a four-star general, should be stripped of a star, a spokesperson with the Pentagon's inspector general's office also told CBS News. Stebbins is reviewing the request.
Mr. Trump nominated Milley to head the Joint Chiefs during his first term, a position Milley held for a full four-year term from 2019 until 2023.
Mr. Trump and Milley, however, had a public falling out in the final months of Mr. Trump's first term over several incidents, beginning with an apology Milley issued for taking part, while dressed in fatigues, in the photo opin front of St. John's Church in June 2020 after federal officers cleared out social justice protesters from Lafayette Park so Mr. Trump could walk to the church from the White House.
A book published in September 2021revealed that Milley had also engaged in two phone calls — one on Oct. 30, 2020, and the second on Jan. 8, 2021, two days after the Capitol insurrection — with Chinese General Li Zuocheng of the People's Liberation Army in order to assure him that the U.S. would not launch an attack against China and that the U.S. was stable.
At the time of the revelation, Mr. Trump claimed Milley should be tried for "treason." Then, in a shocking 2023 social media post, Mr. Trump suggested the calls constituted a "treasonous act" that could warrant execution.
In an October 2023 interviewwith "60 Minutes," Milley said the calls were "an example of deescalation. So — there was clear indications — that the Chinese were very concerned about what they were observing — here in the United States."
According to another 2021 book, Milley feared that Mr. Trump would attempt a coupafter losing the 2020 election and made preparations in case such a plan had been carried out.
On Jan. 20, as he was leaving office, former President Joe Biden preemptively pardonedMilley along with others he thought could be targeted by the Trump administration.
In a statement Tuesday, Joe Kasper, Defense Department Chief of Staff, told CBS News that "undermining the chain of command is corrosive to our national security, and restoring accountability is a priority for the Defense Department under President Trump's leadership."
The Trump administration has also revoked the federal security details of former Trump Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former Trump national security adviser John Bolton, former Trump special envoy on Iran Brian Hook and Dr. Anthony Fauci, former longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Melissa Quinn contributed to this report.
- In:
- Pentagon
- Mark Milley
- Donald Trump
- Defense Department
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (116)
Related
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Kelly Osbourne Looks Unrecognizable After Blonde Hair Transformation
- US airman Roger Fortson killed by deputies who may have hit wrong home, Ben Crump says
- Thick atmosphere detected around scorching, rocky planet that's twice as big as Earth
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Siblings, age 2 and 4, die after being swept away in fast water in California river
- Tornadoes tear through southeastern US as storms leave 3 dead
- Woman seeks to drop sexual assault lawsuit against ex-Grammys CEO
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Ukraine says Russian plot to assassinate President Volodymyr Zelenskyy thwarted
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Cruise ship sails into New York City port with 44-foot dead whale across its bow
- Top water official in New Mexico to retire as state awaits decision in Rio Grande case
- Despite charges, few call for Democratic Congressman Henry Cuellar to resign from office
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Georgia lawmakers vowed to restrain tax breaks. But the governor’s veto saved a data-center break
- Man indicted in killing of Laken Riley, a Georgia case at the center of national immigration debate
- Colorado woman tried to steal a pickup, but couldn’t handle the stick shift, police said
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Idaho man gets 30 years in prison for trying to spread HIV through sex with dozens of victims
Cardinals catcher Willson Contreras breaks left forearm when hit by J.D. Martinez’s bat
TikTok to start labeling AI-generated content as technology becomes more universal
Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
Attorney shot, killed after getting into fight with angry customer at Houston McDonald's: Reports
Lionel Messi’s historic napkin deal with FC Barcelona on auction starting at nearly $275k
At least 3 killed as storms slam southeast after tornadoes bring devastation to Midwest