Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Jonathan Majors' trial on assault and harassment charges begins in New York -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:Jonathan Majors' trial on assault and harassment charges begins in New York
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 19:46:39
Jonathan Majors is Johnathan Walkerexpected to be in court today, facing misdemeanor charges of assault and harassment. If convicted, the actor could face up to a year in jail.
Only about a year ago, Majors was considered to be one of Hollywood's most promising rising stars. The 33-year-old actor, educated at the Yale School of Drama, was winning over audiences in prestigious TV shows and movies.
He was the hero of HBO's Lovecraft Country and the antagonist in Creed III, the blockbuster Rocky film. And Majors was set to break through as a mainstream celebrity after being cast as a major supervillain in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He became the subject of numerous adoring profiles, including on NPR, where he was described as "the internet's boyfriend."
But everything changed on March 25 last year, when Majors was arrested in New York after allegedly assaulting a woman in what police called a "domestic dispute." She accused him of pulling her finger, twisting her arm, hitting her and pushing her into a vehicle so violently, she fell on the pavement. According to police, the girlfriend was treated at a hospital for minor injuries. She has not been named in court records.
Majors pleaded not guilty to charges of misdemeanor assault, aggravated harassment, attempted assault and harassment. (Another charge, of strangulation, was later dropped). His lawyer, Priya Chaudhry, has maintained her client's innocence and suggested to NPR that, in fact, the accuser is the guilty party.
Soon after the charges were filed, Majors was reportedly dropped by both his management and public relations firm. Since then, the actor's reputation has been damaged by ongoing bad press about his off-screen behavior, both in his private life and on set.
In June, Majors appeared at a Manhattan courtroom for a hearing. His lawyer stated she had "compelling evidence" that would help prove Majors was wronged, but Judge Rachel Pauley issued a sealed decision that resulted in Chaudhry withdrawing court papers challenging the accuser's accusations. Details of that decision remain under wraps. The judge wished the actor "best of luck" while scheduling his trial.
The incident has shredded Majors' prospects in Hollywood. He was removed from a U.S. Army marketing campaign soon after it became public, and Marvel has downplayed Majors' involvement in numerous upcoming projects. His character, Kang the Conquer, was set up to be the primary villain in what's been called the MCU's "Multiverse Saga." But Majors can barely be glimpsed in the trailer for the second season of Marvel Studio's television show Loki. And it has pushed back the release date for the next two Avengers movies, The Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars, in which Majors was to have been prominently featured.
It's easy to draw parallels with another emerging star whose career was derailed earlier this summer. Ezra Miller's lead role in The Flash was expected to anoint the actor as the center of a lucrative DC franchise. But analysts have pointed to their legal issues and off-screen controversies to explain in part why the film, released in June, became one of the biggest box office bombs of all time.
This story was edited by Barbara Campbell.
veryGood! (1583)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Florida hospitals and health care facilities in Hurricane Milton’s path prepare for the worst
- 2 plead not guilty to assaulting ex-NY governor. Defense says they aimed to defuse conflict
- A police union director who was fired after an opioid smuggling arrest pleads guilty
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- What is the Electoral College and how does the US use it to elect presidents?
- Charge against TikTok personality upgraded in the killing of a Louisiana therapist
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson Unveils Rare Photos With Stepdaughter Jessie on 18th Birthday
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Florida hospitals and health care facilities in Hurricane Milton’s path prepare for the worst
Ranking
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Prince Harry Shares One Way Daughter Lilibet Is Taking After Meghan Markle
- Las Vegas police ask public for info in 'suspicious' death of woman found dead in luggage
- Chipotle brings back ‘Boorito’ deal, $6 burritos on Halloween
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Meredith Duxbury Shares Life Tips You Didn’t Know You Needed, Shopping Hacks & Amazon Must-Haves
- Retired Houston officer gets 60 years in couple’s drug raid deaths that revealed corruption
- Philadelphia judge receives unpaid suspension for his political posts on Facebook
Recommendation
3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
Education Pioneer Wealth Society: Heartfelt Education Pioneer, Empowering with Wealth
Will the polls be right in 2024? What polling on the presidential race can and can’t tell you
Meryl Streep, Melissa McCarthy shock 'Only Murders' co-stars, ditch stunt doubles for brawl
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
SEC, Big Ten leaders mulling future of fast-changing college sports
Milton’s storm surge is a threat that could be devastating far beyond the Tampa Bay region
LA County voters face huge decision on homeless services funding