Current:Home > ScamsKyle Larson expected to return to Indianapolis 500 for another shot at ‘The Double’ in 2025 -Capitatum
Kyle Larson expected to return to Indianapolis 500 for another shot at ‘The Double’ in 2025
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 22:08:59
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — Hendrick Motorsports and Arrow McLaren Racing scheduled a Tuesday afternoon news conference in which they are expected to announce Kyle Larson will run the Indianapolis 500 again in 2025.
Larson told The Associated Press last week he wanted to run the race again, talks were ongoing, and a decision could be imminent. The initial deal was for two years but 2025 was an option and Hendrick Motorsports had a three-month window to make the decision.
“I would love to because I didn’t get to do ‘The Double’ this year. So that’s really why I wanted to do it,” Larson told the AP last week. “I obviously wanted to compete in the Indianapolis 500, but more than anything, I wanted to do ‘The Double’ and have a chance at winning one of the two, or both, and I felt like I just didn’t get that opportunity.”
Larson was a star at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May, where he qualified fifth but a late-race speeding penalty took him out of contention and he finished 18th. An hours-long rain delay in Indianapolis pushed the Hendrick camp into leaving Larson at the 500 and they would deal with the Coca-Cola 600 in Concord, North Carolina, later.
Except by the time Larson arrived in North Carolina, the 600 had been stopped by rain and never resumed. He never turned a lap, received zero points for the event, and it took a prolonged dispute between Hendrick officials and NASCAR before NASCAR granted Larson a waiver to participate in the playoffs despite missing a race.
In the end, missing the 600 did cost Larson as he fell a single point short of beating Tyler Reddick for NASCAR’s regular-season championship — a title worth 15 additional playoff points. Larson could use those points after an early crash Sunday in NASCAR’s playoff opener erased almost his entire lead in the Sprint Cup standings.
Initially the points leader at the start of Sunday’s race at Atlanta, Larson plummeted to 10th in the standings. Four drivers will be eliminated from the 16-driver playoff field following the Sept. 21 race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
NASCAR races this Sunday on the road course at Watkins Glen, New York.
The Tuesday news conference at Charlotte Motor Speedway has multiple participants listed, including Larson, Hendrick team owner Rick Hendrick and McLaren chief executive officer Zak Brown, who was flying in from London earlier Tuesday.
It is understood by the AP that in negotiating Larson’s return to Indianapolis, Hendrick officials ensured NASCAR that the Coca-Cola 600 would be the priority event and Larson would not miss it again.
___
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- From streetwear to 'street couture': Hip-hop transformed fashion like no other before it
- Boot up these early Labor Day laptop deals on Apple, Samsung, Acer and more
- Special counsel obtained search warrant for Trump's Twitter account in 2020 election probe
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- The Perseids — the best meteor shower of the year — are back. Here's how to watch.
- Transform Your Plain Electronic Devices with These Cute Tech Accessories from Amazon
- North Korean leader Kim calls for his military to sharpen war plans as his rivals prepare drills
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Kia has another hit electric vehicle on its hands with 2024 EV9 | Review
Ranking
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Officers in Washington state fatally shoot man who fired on them, police say
- My Hair Has Been Crease-Free Since 2019 Because of These Scrunchies With 18,100+ 5-Star Reviews
- He worried about providing for his family when he went blind. Now he's got a whole new career.
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Newly unveiled memo cited in Trump indictment detailed false electors scheme
- Katy Perry, Orlando Bloom head to trial after man claims he sold them his home while medicated
- What’s driving Maui’s devastating fires, and how climate change is fueling those conditions
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
'Botched' doctor Terry Dubrow credits wife Heather, star of 'RHOC,' after health scare
Former Raiders WR Henry Ruggs III sentenced to 3 to 10 years in prison
Nearly 100 arrested in global child sex abuse operation launched after murder of FBI agents
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Sheriff: Inmate at Cook County Jail in Chicago beaten to death
On Chicago’s South Side, Neighbors Fight to Keep Lake Michigan at Bay
Transform Your Plain Electronic Devices with These Cute Tech Accessories from Amazon