Current:Home > NewsMan charged with participating in march with flaming torch has pleaded guilty to lesser charge -Capitatum
Man charged with participating in march with flaming torch has pleaded guilty to lesser charge
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:46:49
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — Another man charged with carrying a flaming torch with the intent to intimidate during a 2017 rally at the University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville has agreed to a plea deal.
Dallas Jerome Nicholas Medina, 32, of Ravenna, Ohio, was originally indicted on a felony intimidation charge, but pleaded guilty on Oct. 31 in Albemarle County Circuit Court to a reduced charge of misdemeanor disorderly conduct and will not serve any jail time, The Daily Progress reported.
“It seemed like a reasonable outcome for everybody, a reasonable compromise,” Medina’s lawyer, Mike Hallahan, told The Daily Progress after the hearing.
Medina’s case is among more than a dozen stemming from an event on Aug. 11, 2017. That’s when a group of white nationalists carrying torches marched through the campus of the University of Virginia, some chanting, “Jews will not replace us.” He was the fourth participant to enter a plea deal.
In addition to the four misdemeanor pleas, six people have been convicted of felonies and one case ended with a mistrial after jurors failed to reach a verdict.
Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Lawton Tufts, who prosecuted Medina, said in court that three factors warranted the lesser charge: he had no prior criminal record, he was not accused of assaulting anyone and he helped stop a fight.
When asked if he wanted to comment, Medina was reticent.
“I got to go home,” he told The Daily Progress. “Sorry.”
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Folk veteran Iris DeMent shows us the 'World' she's been workin' on
- 'Still Pictures' offers one more glimpse of writer Janet Malcolm
- Folk veteran Iris DeMent shows us the 'World' she's been workin' on
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- Tatjana Patitz, one of the original supermodels of the '80s and '90s, dies at age 56
- Sold an American Dream, these workers from India wound up living a nightmare
- 'The Daily Show' guest hosts (so far): Why Leslie Jones soared and D.L. Hughley sank
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- 'The Daily Show' guest hosts (so far): Why Leslie Jones soared and D.L. Hughley sank
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Queen of salsa Celia Cruz will be the first Afro Latina to appear on a U.S. quarter
- 'Return To Seoul' might break you, in the best way
- Racism tears a Maine fishing community apart in 'This Other Eden'
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Spielberg shared his own story in 'parts and parcels' — if you were paying attention
- How Groundhog Day came to the U.S. — and why we still celebrate it 137 years later
- 'Magic Mike's Last Dance': I see London, I see pants
Recommendation
Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
Roberta Flack's first piano came from a junkyard – five Grammys would follow
How to be a better movie watcher
A daytime TV departure: Ryan Seacrest is leaving 'Live with Kelly and Ryan'
The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
'Return to Seoul' is about reinvention, not resolution
Hot and kinda bothered by 'Magic Mike'; plus Penn Badgley on bad boys
'Brutes' captures the simultaneous impatience and mercurial swings of girlhood