Current:Home > NewsAppeals court says Arizona should release list of voters with unverified citizenship -Capitatum
Appeals court says Arizona should release list of voters with unverified citizenship
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 23:18:50
PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona Court of Appeals on Monday affirmed a decision by a lower court that required the Secretary of State’s office to release a list of tens of thousands of voters who were mistakenly classified as having access to Arizona’s full ballot because of a coding glitch.
The court rejected an appeal by Secretary of State Adrian Fontes’ office that sought to reverse the lower court’s order or at least suspend it. A group had sued in an effort to verify whether those on the list are in fact eligible to cast full ballots.
Arizona is unique among states in that it requires voters to prove their citizenship to participate in local and state races. Those who haven’t but have sworn to it under the penalty of law are allowed to participate only in federal elections.
The misclassification of voters from federal-only to full-ballot voters was blamed on a glitch in state databases involving drivers’ licenses and the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division.
Several tight races in the battleground state are expected to be decided by razor-thin margins. While the batch of about 218,000 potentially affected voters won’t impact the outcome of federal contests, they could influence tight state and local races.
Fontes’ office had initially denied a public records requests for the list of voters that was filed by America First Legal, a group run by Stephen Miller, a onetime adviser to former President Donald Trump. Fontes’ office cited concerns over the accuracy of the list and the safety of the voters included.
Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Scott Blaney ruled last week that the court received no credible evidence showing the information would be misused or encourage violence or harassment against the voters whose citizenship hasn’t been verified.
Blaney set a deadline of Monday for Fontes’ office to release a list of 98,000 voters and information Fontes relied on when announcing in early October that even more voters had been impacted — for a total of 218,000.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Dolphins put Tua Tagovailoa on injured reserve after latest concussion
- NFL power rankings Week 3: Chiefs still No. 1, but top five overhaul occurs after chaotic weekend
- Scoring inquiry errors might have cost Simone Biles another Olympic gold medal
- Sam Taylor
- Suspension of security clearance for Iran envoy did not follow protocol, watchdog says
- Lack of citizenship documents might keep many from voting in Arizona state and local races
- Tori Spelling Reveals If She Regrets 90210 Reboot After Jennie Garth's Comments
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- How can I resolve a hostile email exchange before it escalates? Ask HR
Ranking
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- For families of Key Bridge collapse victims, a search for justice begins
- Georgia prosecutors drop all 15 counts of money laundering against 3 ‘Cop City’ activists
- Wilmer Valderrama reflects on Fez character, immigration, fatherhood in new memoir
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- New Jersey voters are set to pick a successor to late congressman in special election
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's 4 Kids Look So Grown Up in Back-to-School Photos
- Prefer to deposit checks in person? Bank branches may soon be hard to come by, report says
Recommendation
From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
Gilmore Girls’ Lauren Graham Reunites With Kelly Bishop—And It's Not Even Friday Night
Inside Jada Pinkett Smith's Life After Sharing All Those Head-Turning Revelations
Heat Protectants That Will Save Your Hair From Getting Fried
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
Police shift focus in search for Kentucky highway shooting suspect: 'Boots on the ground'
Dancing With the Stars' Jenn Tran Shares How She's Leaning on Jonathan Johnson After Breakup
Canucks forward Dakota Joshua reveals he had cancerous tumor removed