Current:Home > MarketsVince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive' -Capitatum
Vince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive'
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 02:05:40
Former WWE CEO Vince McMahon slammed the upcoming Netflix docuseries "Mr. McMahon," calling it a "misleading" and "deceptive" depiction of him.
The founder of WWE said in a statement on Monday he didn't regret participating in the Netflix documentary set to be released this week. The six-part series chronicles McMahon's rise to power and the controversies that surrounded him. A trailer for the series hints at the lawsuit brought on by a former WWE employee that accuses McMahon of abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking.
McMahon said the producers had the chance "to tell an objective story about my life and the incredible business I built, which were equally filled with excitement, drama, fun, and a fair amount of controversy and life lessons."
"Unfortunately, based on an early partial cut I’ve seen, this doc falls short and takes the predictable path of conflating the "Mr. McMahon" character with my true self, Vince. The title and promos alone make that evident," he said. "A lot has been misrepresented or left out entirely in an effort to leave viewers intentionally confused. The producers use typical editing tricks with out of context footage and dated soundbites etc. to distort the viewers’ perception and support a deceptive narrative.
"In an attempt to further their misleading account, the producers use a lawsuit based on an affair I ended as evidence that I am, in fact, 'Mr. McMahon.' I hope the viewer will keep an open mind and remember that there are two sides to every story.”
According to Netflix, the series "delves into the mogul's controversial reign" during WWE, which ended this year when he resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, the parent company of WWE. His resignation came just after former WWE employee Janel Grant said she was put through sexual acts by McMahon that were done with "extreme cruelty and degradation." Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Currently, the the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation into McMahon.
Attorney responds to Vince McMahon statement
Grant was not interviewed for the docuseries, her lawyers said last week. After McMahon released his statement, Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, told TODAY Sports in a statement that calling "his horrific and criminal behavior 'an affair' is delusional and nothing more than a sad attempt to save his shredded reputation."
"Vince McMahon physically and emotionally abused, sexually assaulted and human trafficked Janel Grant for more than two years," Callis said. "Although Ms. Grant has not seen the “Mr. McMahon” docuseries, we hope it shines a bright light on his abhorrent and criminal actions by accurately portraying the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior.
“Ms. Grant will no longer be silenced by McMahon. Her story, though deeply troubling and exceptionally painful, is one that can help other abuse survivors find their voices. We seek to hold McMahon, John Laurinaitis and WWE accountable and to give Ms. Grant her day in court," Callis added.
"Mr. McMahon" will be available to stream on Wednesday.
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- What we’ve learned so far in the Trump hush money trial and what to watch for as it wraps up
- Preakness Stakes payouts 2024: Complete betting results after Seize the Grey wins
- Rudy Giuliani served indictment in Arizona fake elector case
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Misery in Houston with power out and heat rising; Kansas faces wind risk
- No body cam footage of Scottie Scheffler's arrest, Louisville mayor says
- Scarlett Johansson, Rami Malek and More Stars You Probably Didn't Know Are a Twin
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- Biden will deliver Morehouse commencement address during a time of tumult on US college campuses
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Home Stretch
- Bridgerton Season 3: Here Are the Biggest Changes Netflix Made From the Books
- Bridgerton Season 3: Here Are the Biggest Changes Netflix Made From the Books
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Apple Music 100 Best Albums list sees Drake, Outkast, U2 in top half with entries 50-41
- Disturbing video appears to show Sean Diddy Combs assaulting singer Cassie Ventura
- Duke graduates who walked out on Jerry Seinfeld's commencement speech failed Life 101
Recommendation
Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
‘No sign of life’ at crash site of helicopter carrying Iran’s president, others
Storms damage homes in Oklahoma and Kansas. But in Houston, most power is restored
A complete guide to the 33-car starting lineup for the 2024 Indianapolis 500
Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
The Dow hit a new record. What it tells us about the economy, what it means for 401(k)s.
How compassion, not just free tuition, helped one Ohio student achieve his college dreams
Mega Millions winning numbers for May 17 drawing: Jackpot rises to $421 million