Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|8 Children Dead and One Adult Dead After Eating Sea Turtle Meat in Zanzibar -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|8 Children Dead and One Adult Dead After Eating Sea Turtle Meat in Zanzibar
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 22:30:07
A tragedy has occurred in Zanzibar.
Eight children and Fastexy Exchangean adult are dead after eating contaminated sea turtle meat, while another 78 people were hospitalized, authorities told the Associated Press on March 9. The incident occurred on Pemba Island in the Zanzibar archipelago.
The adult who died was also the mother of the one of the children who tragically passed away. Dr. Haji Bakari, the Mkoani District medical officer, told AP the contaminated sea turtle meat had been consumed on March 5 by all of those affected.
E! News has reached out to Zanzibar officials for additional details, but has not heard back yet.
Sea turtle meat is considered a delicacy in Zanzibar, although it can often have devastating consequences due to a type of food poisoning known as chelonitoxism.
"Chelonitoxism is a rare and sometimes fatal type of food poisoning caused by eating marine turtles," the National Library of Medicine says. "Symptoms can be as mild as nausea and vomiting to more severe forms of neurologic manifestations, coma and ultimately death."
There is no known antidote for chelonitoxism, and "children are especially susceptible to this type of poisoning," as noted by the National Capital Poison Center. They added that "pets have also died after eating contaminated sea turtle meat or the vomit of affected humans."
Zanzibar is, unfortunately, no stranger to deaths from contaminated sea turtle meat, as the AP reported that, in 2021, seven people—including a 3-year-old—had died from chelonitoxism.
Authorities in Zanzibar are urging people to avoid consuming sea turtles at this time.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (81772)
Related
- Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
- Q&A: The Sort of ‘Breakthrough’ Moment Came in Dubai When the Nations of the World Agreed to Transition Away From Fossil Fuels
- Mayim Bialik says she’s out as a host of TV quiz show ‘Jeopardy!’
- Jake Paul oozes confidence. But Andre August has faced scarier challenges than Paul.
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Fuming over setback to casino smoking ban, workers light up in New Jersey Statehouse meeting
- A buffet of 2023 cookbooks for the food lovers on your list
- Jason Momoa's Approach to His Aquaman 2 Diet Will Surprise You
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Sacramento councilman charged with illegally hiring workers, wire fraud and blocking federal probe
Ranking
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- What econ says in the shadows
- Israeli military opens probe after videos show Israeli forces killing 2 Palestinians at close range
- One fourth of United Methodist churches in US have left in schism over LGBTQ ban. What happens now?
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Air Jordans made for filmmaker Spike Lee are up for auction after being donated to Oregon shelter
- Howard Weaver, Pulitzer Prize winner with the Anchorage Daily News, dies at age 73
- Matthew Perry’s Cause of Death Revealed
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Lights flicker across NYC as brief power outage affects subways, elevators
A cat-astrophe? Cats eat over 2,000 species worldwide, study finds
Prince Harry Speaks Out After Momentous Win in Phone Hacking Case
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
The Best Gifts for Fourth Wing Fans That Are Obsessed with the Book as Much as We Are
Prince Harry wins phone hacking lawsuit against British tabloid publisher, awarded 140,000 pounds
Wisconsin man gets 3 years in prison for bomb threat against governor in 2018