Current:Home > reviewsDefense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case -Capitatum
Defense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:58:04
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Lawyers for a man charged with raping a teenage girl at a youth holding facility in New Hampshire tried to erode the accuser’s credibility at trial Wednesday, suggesting she had a history of lying and changing her story.
Now 39, Natasha Maunsell was 15 and 16 when she was held at the Youth Detention Services Unit in Concord. Lawyers for Victor Malavet, 62, who faces 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, say she concocted the allegations in hopes of getting money from a civil lawsuit.
Testifying for a second day at Malavet’s trial, Maunsell acknowledged that she denied having been sexually assaulted when asked in 2002, 2017 and 2019. She said she lied the first time because she was still at the facility and feared retaliation, and again in the later years because she didn’t think anyone would believe her.
“It had been so long that I didn’t think anybody would even care,” she said. “I didn’t think it would matter to anyone … so I kept it in for a long time.”
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they were sexually assaulted unless they have come forward publicly, as Maunsell has done. She is among more than 1,100 former residents of youth facilities who are suing the state alleging abuse that spanned six decades.
Malavet’s trial opened Monday. It is the first criminal trial arising from a five-year investigation into allegations of abuse at the Sununu Youth Services Center in Manchester, though unlike the other eight men facing charges, Malavet worked at a different state-run facility where children were held while awaiting court disposition of their cases.
Under questioning from defense lawyer Maya Dominguez, Maunsell acknowledged Wednesday that she lied at age 15 when she told a counselor she had a baby, and that in contrast to her trial testimony, she did not tell police in 2020 that Malavet had kissed her or that he had assaulted her in a storage closet. But she denied the lawyer’s claim that she appeared “angry or exasperated” when questioned about Malavet in 2002.
“I appeared scared,” she said after being shown a video clip from the interview. “I know me, and I looked at me, and I was scared.”
Maunsell also rebutted two attempts to portray her as a liar about money she received in advance of a possible settlement in her civil case. After Dominguez claimed she spent $65,000 on a Mustang, Maunsell said “mustang” was the name of another loan company. And when Dominguez showed her a traffic incident report listing her car as a 2021 Audi and not the 2012 Audi she testified about, Maunsell said the report referred to a newer rental car she was given after she crashed the older car.
In the only civil case to go to trial so far, a jury awarded David Meehan $38 million in May for abuse he says he suffered at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, though the verdict remains in dispute.
Together, the two trials highlight the unusual dynamic of having the state attorney general’s office simultaneously prosecute those accused of committing offenses and defend the state. While attorneys for the state spent much of Meehan’s trial portraying him as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and a delusional adult, state prosecutors are relying on Mansell’s testimony in the criminal case.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- US Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas to lie in state at Houston city hall
- The oddball platypus is in trouble. Researchers have a plan to help.
- Simone Biles to compete on all four events at Olympic team finals despite calf injury
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- California firefighters make progress as wildfires push devastation and spread smoke across US West
- Jessica Springsteen goes to Bruce and E Street Band show at Wembley instead of Olympics
- Is USA's Kevin Durant the greatest Olympic basketball player ever? Let's discuss
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- With DUI-related ejection from Army, deputy who killed Massey should have raised flags, experts say
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- The oddball platypus is in trouble. Researchers have a plan to help.
- Torri Huske, Gretchen Walsh swim to Olympic gold, silver in women's 100 butterfly
- Get 80% Off Wayfair, 2 Kylie Cosmetics Lipsticks for $22, 75% Off Lands' End & Today's Best Deals
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Rita Ora spends night in hospital, cancels live performance: 'I must rest'
- Another Olympics celebrity fan? Jason Kelce pledges for Ilona Maher, US women's rugby
- Justin Bieber Cradles Pregnant Hailey Bieber’s Baby Bump in New Video
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Massachusetts governor signs $58 billion state budget featuring free community college plan
Chase Budinger, Miles Evans inspired by US support group in beach volleyball win
Storms bring flash flooding to Dollywood amusement park in Tennessee
Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
Museums closed Native American exhibits 6 months ago. Tribes are still waiting to get items back
'Deadpool & Wolverine' pulverizes a slew of records with $205M opening
Olympic surfer's head injury underscores danger of competing on famous wave in Tahiti