Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says -Capitatum
Robert Brown|Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 07:21:07
Survivors rescued from a deflating rubber dinghy in the central Mediterranean Sea have Robert Brownreported that some 60 people who departed Libya with them a week ago perished during the journey, the humanitarian rescue group SOS Mediterranee said Thursday.
The European charity's ship Ocean Viking spotted the dinghy with 25 people on board Wednesday. Two were unconscious, and were evacuated by the Italian military for treatment. The other 23 were in serious condition, exhausted, dehydrated and with burns from fuel on board the boat.
"After yesterday's rescue of 25 people in very weak health condition, a medical evacuation took place in cooperation with the Italian Coast Guards," said SOS Mediterranee in an update shared Thursday on social media. The two unconscious people could not be roused by members of the rescue team and were flown by helicopter to Sicily, the group said.
SOS Mediterranee spokesperson Francesco Creazzo said that the survivors were all male, 12 of them minors with two of those not yet teenagers. They were from Senegal, Mali and The Gambia.
Creazzo said the survivors were traumatized and unable to give full accounts of what had transpired during the voyage. Humanitarian organizations often rely on accounts of survivors when pulling together the numbers of dead and missing at sea, presumed to have died.
The survivors' boat departed from Zawiya, Libya, seven days before the rescue, SOS Mediterranee said.
"Their engine broke after 3 days, leaving their boat lost adrift without water and food for days," the group shared in another social media post. Citing survivors, that update noted that "at least 60 people perished on the way, including women and at least one child."
The U.N. International Organization for Migration says 227 people have died along the perilous central Mediterranean route this year through March 11, not counting the new reported missing and presumed dead. That's out of a total 279 deaths in the Mediterranean since Jan. 1. A total of 19,562 people arrived in Italy using that route in the period.
Last year, about 100 migrants were rescued after a dangerously overcrowded fishing boat sunk in the Mediterranean near the coast of Greece. At least 82 people were killed and hundreds more were never found, according to officials. The tragedy shined a light on the notorious, risky journey across the Mediterranean that thousands of migrants undertake every month in hopes of reaching Europe. Tunisia and Libya are two main departure points.
- In:
- Libya
- Migrants
- Mediterranean Sea
veryGood! (74)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Hospital systems Ascension and Henry Ford Health plan joint venture
- Man who killed 2 South Carolina officers and wounded 5 others in ambush prepares for sentencing
- AP PHOTOS: Anger boils and desperation widens in war’s 12th day
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- The trees arrived with Polynesian voyagers. After Maui wildfire, there’s a chance to restore them
- You Can Bet on Loving This Photo of Zac Efron and His Little Siblings Olivia and Henry
- California tech CEO convicted in COVID-19 and allergy test fraud case sentenced to 8 years in prison
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Only Julia Fox Could Wear a Dry-Cleaning Bag as a Dress and Make It Fashionable
Ranking
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Fugees rapper says lawyer’s use of AI helped tank his case, pushes for new trial
- Burt Young, Oscar-nominated actor who played Paulie in ‘Rocky’ films, dies at 83
- Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh plans to expand with a $45 million event venue
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Help! What should I be for Halloween?
- The hidden price of inflation: High costs disrupt life in more ways than we can see
- 1 killed, 2 others flown to hospital after house explosion in rural South Dakota
Recommendation
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
U.S. to create new immigration program for Ecuadorians aimed at discouraging border crossings
This camera revolutionized photography. Whatever happened to the Kodak Instamatic?
Horror movie creators to reboot 'Gargoyles' on Disney+: What to know about '90s series revival
Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
Kourtney Kardashian's Daughter Penelope Disick Hilariously Roasts Dad Scott Disick's Dating Life
French soccer club Nice suspends Youcef Atal for sharing an antisemitic message on social media
Film academy enlists TV veterans for 96th annual Oscars ceremony