Current:Home > ScamsSean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight -Capitatum
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs to stay in jail while appeals court takes up bail fight
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 07:04:09
NEW YORK (AP) — A federal appeals court judge has ruled to keep Sean “Diddy” Combs locked up while he makes a third bid for bail in his sex trafficking case, which is slated to go to trial in May.
In a decision filed Friday, Circuit Judge William J. Nardini denied the hip-hop mogul’s immediate release from jail while a three-judge panel weighs his bail request.
Combs’ lawyers appealed to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Sept. 30 after two judges rejected his release.
Combs, 54, has been held at a federal jail in Brooklyn since his Sept. 16 arrest on charges that he used his “power and prestige” as a music star to induce female victims into drugged-up, elaborately produced sexual performances with male sex workers in events dubbed “Freak Offs.”
Combs has pleaded not guilty to racketeering conspiracy and sex trafficking charges alleging he coerced and abused women for years with help from a network of associates and employees while silencing victims through blackmail and violence, including kidnapping, arson and physical beatings.
At a bail hearing three weeks ago, a judge rejected the defense’s $50 million bail proposal that would’ve allowed the “I’ll Be Missing You” singer to be placed under house arrest at his Florida mansion with GPS monitoring and strict limits on visitors.
Judge Andrew L. Carter Jr., who has since recused himself from the case, said that prosecutors had presented “clear and convincing evidence” that Combs is a danger to the community. He said “no condition or set of conditions” could guard against the risk of Combs obstructing the investigation or threatening or harming witnesses.
In their appeal, Combs’ lawyers argued that the judge had “endorsed the government’s exaggerated rhetoric” and ordered Combs detained for “purely speculative reasons.”
“Indeed, hardly a risk of flight, he is a 54-year-old father of seven, a U.S. citizen, an extraordinarily successful artist, businessman, and philanthropist, and one of the most recognizable people on earth,” the lawyers wrote.
Combs’ lawyers have not asked the new trial judge, Arun Subramanian, to consider releasing him on bail. At a hearing Thursday, as Combs sat alongside his lawyers in a beige jail jumpsuit, Subramanian suggested he would at least be open to taking up the issue.
After setting a May 5 trial date, Subramanian briefly questioned Combs’ lawyers about his treatment at the Metropolitan Detention Center, which has been plagued by violence and dysfunction for years.
Combs lawyer Mark Agnifilo, who had previously sought to have him moved to a jail in New Jersey, told the judge: “We’re making a go of the MDC. The MDC has been very responsive for us.”
Another Combs lawyer, Anthony Ricco, told reporters outside the courthouse afterward: “He’s doing fine. It’s a difficult circumstance. He’s making the best of the situation.”
But, Ricco said: “Nobody’s OK with staying in jail for now.”
veryGood! (853)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Legacy of Native American boarding schools comes into view through a new interactive map
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton pursued perks beyond impeachment allegations, ex-staffers say
- Taylor Russell Shares Her Outlook on Relationships Amid Harry Styles Romance Rumors
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Giuliani sanctioned by judge in defamation case brought by 2 Georgia election workers
- Buster Murdaugh says his dad Alex is innocent: Trial 'a tilted table' from the start
- After Idalia, Florida community reeling from significant flooding event: 'A lot of people that are hurting'
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Howie Mandel defends his shot at Sofía Vergara's single status: 'It's open season, people!'
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Brother and sister killed in shooting captured on video in front of courthouse in Puerto Rico
- Want to retire with $1 million? Here's what researchers say is the ideal age to start saving.
- Alex Trebek's 'Jeopardy!' hosting advice shared with Ken Jennings night before his death
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Whatever happened to fly-in medical missions that got kayoed by the pandemic?
- Former deputy in Massachusetts indicted for allegedly threatening to blow up courthouse
- Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood's Marriage Advice for Robin Roberts Will Be Music to Your Ears
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Hurricane Idalia shutters Florida airports and cancels more than 1,000 flights
11 hospitalized after Delta flight hits severe turbulence en route to Atlanta
'AGT': Howie Mandel, Terry Crews' Golden Buzzer acts face off in Top 2 finale showdown
$1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
Buster Murdaugh says his dad Alex is innocent: Trial 'a tilted table' from the start
Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Concert Is Coming to a Theater Near You: All the Details
Michigan State, Tennessee exhibition hoops game to benefit Maui wildfire charity