Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:After years of delays, scaled-back plans underway for memorial to Florida nightclub massacre -Capitatum
Charles Langston:After years of delays, scaled-back plans underway for memorial to Florida nightclub massacre
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 06:07:07
ORLANDO,Charles Langston Fla. (AP) — Survivors and the families of victims of the Pulse nightclub massacre had hoped by now to have a permanent memorial in place for Wednesday’s eighth anniversary of the attack by a lone gunman who killed 49 people at the gay-friendly club in Orlando, Florida.
Instead, new, scaled-back plans are only now getting off the ground following a botched effort to build a multimillion-dollar memorial and museum by a private foundation that disbanded last year.
The city of Orlando purchased the nightclub property last year for $2 million, and it has since outlined more modest plans for a memorial. The original idea for a museum has been jettisoned and, last week, city leaders formed an advisory board to help determine what the memorial will look like.
“We’re very much hoping to find a number of family members to be a part of this committee, as well as survivors,” said Larry Schooler, a facilitator tasked with guiding the memorial effort. City officials said the goal is to have the memorial completed by 2028 at the site near downtown Orlando.
Until last year, efforts to build a memorial had been moving ahead in fits and starts ever since the massacre.
On June 12, 2016, Omar Mateen opened fire during a Latin night celebration, leaving 49 dead and 53 wounded. At the time, it was the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history. But it was surpassed the following year when 58 people were killed and more than 850 were injured among a crowd of 22,000 at a country music festival in Las Vegas. Mateen, who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group, was killed after a three-hour standoff with police.
Barbara and Rosario Poma and businessman Michael Panaggio had previously owned the property, and Barbara Poma was the executive director of the onePulse Foundation — the nonprofit that had been leading efforts to build a memorial and museum. Barbara Poma stepped down as executive director in 2022 and then left the organization entirely last year amid conflict-of-interest criticism over her stated desire to sell instead of donate the Pulse property.
The original project unveiled in 2019 by the onePulse Foundation originally called for a museum and permanent memorial costing $45 million. However, that estimated price tag eventually soared to $100 million.
The scope of the project ended up stretching far beyond the fundraising abilities of the nonprofit, according to an investigation by the Orlando Sentinel.
Deborah Bowie, who took the helm of the foundation in 2022, told the Sentinel that what she found when she arrived was a “house of cards waiting to crash down.”
“There’s a big disconnect between what the board thought was going on and what I saw boots on the ground when I got here,” Bowie said. “The budgets that I saw, I couldn’t find the financial justification for.”
Meanwhile, Pulse survivors and others have been waiting eight years for a permanent memorial.
“All of us are entitled to closure, and that’s never going to happen until this memorial is built,” Brett Rigas told the Sentinel.
veryGood! (48571)
Related
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Americans Increasingly Say Climate Change Is Happening Now
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Involved in Near Catastrophic 2-Hour Car Chase With Paparazzi
- How grown-ups can help kids transition to 'post-pandemic' school life
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Daniel Penny indicted by grand jury in chokehold death of Jordan Neely on NYC subway
- Elle Fanning's Fairytale Look at Cannes Film Festival 2023 Came Courtesy of Drugstore Makeup
- News Round Up: FDA chocolate assessment, a powerful solar storm and fly pheromones
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Selling Sunset Cast Reacts to Chrishell Stause and G Flip's Marriage
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Fossil Fuels (Not Wildfires) Biggest Source of a Key Arctic Climate Pollutant, Study Finds
- She was declared dead, but the funeral home found her breathing
- Trump’s Repeal of Stream Rule Helps Coal at the Expense of Climate and Species
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Rain Is Triggering More Melting on the Greenland Ice Sheet — in Winter, Too
- Politicians say they'll stop fentanyl smugglers. Experts say new drug war won't work
- Hispanic dialysis patients are more at risk for staph infections, the CDC says
Recommendation
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Is chocolate good for your heart? Finally the FDA has an answer – kind of
Cook Inlet Natural Gas Leak Can’t Be Fixed Until Ice Melts, Company Says
Standing Rock: Tribes File Last-Ditch Effort to Block Dakota Pipeline
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Cost of Climate Change: Nuisance Flooding Adds Up for Annapolis’ Historic City Dock
Ring the Alarm: Beyoncé Just Teased Her New Haircare Line
Trump’s EPA Halts Request for Methane Information From Oil and Gas Producers