Current:Home > MyResidents in northern Mexico protest over delays in cleaning up a mine spill -Capitatum
Residents in northern Mexico protest over delays in cleaning up a mine spill
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 03:08:54
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Residents in Mexico’s northern state of Sonora protested Tuesday against what they said is the government’s continued failure to clean up an almost decade-old mine spill.
At a news conference held outside government offices in Hermosillo, the state capital, members of the local advocacy group the Sonora River Basin Committee described the situation as a health crisis that authorities continue to ignore.
“You have asked us for patience and our patience has lasted almost two years,” Martha Patricia Velarde said. “Today we tell you again: Bureaucracy should never be above the health and life of the people.”
Nine years ago, millions of gallons of toxic waste flooded from Grupo México’s Buenavista mine into the Sonora and Bacanuchi rivers, just under 60 miles (100 kilometers) from the border city of Nogales, Sonora.
Mexico’s environmental secretary María Luisa Albores González has described the spill as “the most serious environmental disaster in the history of metal mining in Mexico.”
In a 2022 study, the state health department found 10% of residents in the polluted area — almost 100 square miles (250 square kilometers) around the spill — were at high or very high risk of developing arsenic poisoning.
After years of waiting, recent months have seen a flurry of encouraging rhetoric, but little apparent progress.
In September, Mexico’s environment department released a report describing “alarming” levels of pollution around the spill. Then the following month Albores announced the department had filed a legal complaint against Grupo México for failing to pay for the damage.
Since then what was the only remaining water treatment plant in operation closed at the end of November. Under an initial settlement, Grupo México agreed to open 36 treatment plants, but only began construction on 10.
The environmental department and a spokesperson for Grupo México declined to comment on Tuesday’s protest or give any updates on the government’s legal complaint.
The mining company’s spokesperson referred to an October news release in which the company declined responsibility for pollution in the region.
“The environmental conditions and integrity of the Sonora and Bacanuchi river ecosystems are the same as they were before the 2014 accident,” read the statement. “The Sonora river region has suffered the effects of continuous disinformation campaigns ... causing fear and unfounded distrust.”
veryGood! (2)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Nightengale's Notebook: What happened at MLB GM meetings ... besides everyone getting sick
- More than 800 Sudanese reportedly killed in attack on Darfur town, UN says
- Draymond Green curiously ejected after squabble with Cavaliers' Donovan Mitchell
- Bodycam footage shows high
- US conducts airstrikes against Iran-backed groups in Syria, retaliating for attacks on US troops
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly lower in quiet trading ahead of Biden-Xi meeting
- Latvia’s president says West must arm Ukraine to keep Russia from future global adventures
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Winston Watkins Jr., five-star recruit for 2025, decommits from Deion Sanders, Colorado
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Happy Veteran's Day! Watch this Vietnam vet get a salute runway in honor of her service
- ‘The Marvels’ melts down at the box office, marking a new low for the MCU
- Part of Interstate 10 near downtown Los Angeles closed indefinitely until repairs made; motorists urged to take public transport
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- White House releases plan to grow radio spectrum access, with possible benefits for internet, drones
- The Best Early Black Friday Activewear Deals of 2023 at Alo, Athleta & More
- Indonesian Election Commission approves all three candidates for president
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Suspect in Detroit synagogue leader's fatal stabbing released without charges
Chip Kelly doesn't look like an offensive genius anymore. That puts UCLA atop Misery Index
Illinois man dies after being fatally shot in face by fellow hunter, authorities say
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Japanese vice minister resigns over tax scandal in another setback for Kishida’s unpopular Cabinet
80 people freed from Australian migrant centers since High Court outlawed indefinite detention
Which restaurants are open Thanksgiving 2023? See Starbucks, McDonald's, Cracker Barrel hours