Current:Home > NewsArmenia wants a UN court to impose measures aimed at protecting rights of Nagorno-Karabakh Armenians -Capitatum
Armenia wants a UN court to impose measures aimed at protecting rights of Nagorno-Karabakh Armenians
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:30:08
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Armenia urged the United Nations top court on Thursday to impose new interim orders on Azerbaijan to prevent what the leader of Armenia’s legal team called “ethnic cleansing” of the Nagorno-Karabakh region by Azerbaijan from becoming irreversible.
Armenia is asking judges at the International Court of Justice for 10 “provisional measures” aimed at protecting the rights of ethnic Armenians from the Nagorno-Karabakh region that Azerbaijan reclaimed last month following a swift military operation.
In a 24-hour campaign that began on Sept. 19, the Azerbaijani army routed the region’s undermanned and outgunned Armenian forces, forcing them to capitulate. The separatist government then agreed to disband itself by the end of the year. More than 100,000 ethnic Armenians fled Nagorno-Karabakh.
“Nothing other than targeted and unequivocal provisional measures protecting the rights of ethnic Armenians of Nagorno-Karabakh will suffice to prevent the ethnic cleansing Azerbaijan is perpetrating from continuing and becoming irreversible,” the head of Armenia’s legal team, Yeghishe Kirakosyan, told judges.
Lawyers for Azerbaijan are scheduled to respond Thursday afternoon. Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry has said that the departure of Armenians was “their personal and individual decision and has nothing to do with forced relocation.”
After six years of separatist fighting ended in 1994 following the collapse of the Soviet Union, Nagorno-Karabakh came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by Armenia.
Azerbaijan took back parts of the region in the south Caucasus Mountains during a six-week war in 2020, along with surrounding territory that Armenian forces had claimed earlier. Nagorno-Karabakh was internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan’s sovereign territory.
The world court is currently considering two cases focused on the deep-rooted tensions between the two countries. Armenia filed a case in 2021 accusing Azerbaijan of breaching an international convention aimed at preventing racial discrimination. A week later, Azerbaijan filed its own case, accusing Armenia of contravening the same convention.
The court has already issued so-called “provisional measure” rulings in both cases. The measures are intended to protect the rights of both nations and their nationals as their cases slowly progress through the world court.
Armenia on Thursday accused Azerbaijan of driving Armenians out of Nagorno-Karabakh even as the legal wrangling continues.
Alison Macdonald, a lawyer for Armenia, said court orders could prevent Nagorno-Karabakh being “swallowed up” by Azerbaijan.
“It is still possible to change how this story unfolds,” she said. “The ethnic cleansing of Nagorno-Karabakh is happening as we speak. It must not be allowed to set in stone.”
veryGood! (559)
Related
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- MLB trade deadline 2024: Biggest questions as uncertainty holds up rumor mill
- 'West Wing' creator Aaron Sorkin suggests Democrats nominate Mitt Romney
- Biden's exit could prompt unwind of Trump-trade bets, while some eye divided government
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- 72-year-old man picking berries in Montana kills grizzly bear who attacked him
- Nicole Kidman Makes Rare Comments About Ex-Husband Tom Cruise
- Biden's exit could prompt unwind of Trump-trade bets, while some eye divided government
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- LeBron James is named one of Team USA's flag bearers for Opening Ceremony
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Air travel delays continue, though most airlines have recovered from global tech outage
- JD Vance makes solo debut as GOP vice presidential candidate with Monday rallies in Virginia, Ohio
- MLB power rankings: Angels' 12-month disaster shows no signs of stopping
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Plane crashes near the site of an air show in Wisconsin, killing the 2 people on board
- Israeli airstrikes kill at least 13 people in Gaza refugee camps as cease-fire talks grind on
- Bella Thorne Slams Ozempic Trend For Harming Her Body Image
Recommendation
Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
Tiger Woods watches 15-year-old son Charlie shoot a 12-over 82 in US Junior Amateur at Oakland Hills
Erectile dysfunction can be caused by many factors. These are the most common ones.
Utah wildfire prompts mandatory evacuations
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Mega Millions winning numbers for July 19 drawing: Jackpot now worth $279 million
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Backpack
What to know about Kamala Harris' viral coconut tree meme: You exist in the context of all in which you live