Current:Home > reviewsNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Saudi registrants for COP28 included undeclared oil company employees, nonprofit says -Capitatum
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Saudi registrants for COP28 included undeclared oil company employees, nonprofit says
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 03:13:35
At least 15 people who registered for Saudi Arabia’s delegation to the COP28 climate conference in Dubai appear to be NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Centerundeclared employees of the Saudi state oil company, according to research by an environmental nonprofit.
Saudi Arabia, the world’s second-biggest oil producer, was one of the main countries opposing an aggressive commitment to phase out fossil fuels at the United Nations-led summit. Saudi Arabia and other large oil-producing nations have traditionally held sway in nixing potential agreements on reducing oil, gas and coal, which when burned cause climate change.
This year, however, negotiators went into extra time before approving an agreement that calls for a transition away from fossil fuels for the first time, though critics say it is filled with loopholes.
New rules for this year’s talks required registrants to disclose their affiliation, a move aimed at improving transparency. Activists have long questioned the presence of fossil fuel producers at the talks, although the companies and many experts have said it makes sense for them to participate given their role in the emissions that cause climate change.
Global Witness reported that at least 14 members of the Saudi delegation had names that matched employees of the state oil company, Saudi Aramco. The Associated Press independently verified the nonprofit’s work. Two more registrants declared elsewhere -- but not in their conference registration -- an affiliation to Aramco. One of those was a board member.
AP earlier reported that at least 1,300 employees of organizations representing fossil fuel interests registered to attend this year’s talks. Aramco had not declared any delegates to this year’s conference, according to the AP research.
Aramco declined comment to AP. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, which oversees the conference, did not respond to a request for comment.
Aramco gets some 99% of its revenues from fossil fuels, according to research by the nonprofit Urgewald. It’s not clear what role the apparent Aramco employees would have played within the Saudi delegation.
The UNFCCC secretariat asked delegates this year to declare their employer, as well as their relationship to the delegation they are guests of. It said participants could opt out of declaring the relationship but made no mention of opting out of declaring an affiliation.
The Global Witness count would make Aramco one of the larger fossil fuel companies to have registered attendance. Russian state-owned Gazprom, the world’s second-leading producer of oil and gas, declared at least 16 employees as attendees at this year’s climate conference.
Aramco employees on the Global Witness list included CEO Amin Nasser, senior vice president Fahad Al-Dhubaib and director of international affairs Nesa Subrahmaniyan.
“The world’s largest oil company snuck executives into COP28 without disclosing their interest,” Jonathan Noronha-Gant, senior campaigner at Global Witness, said. “We need to rid COPs of oil industry influence.”
Global Witness said it reviewed the 136 Saudi registrants who said they were affiliated to the country’s Ministry of Energy, to look for names of people employed by Aramco. Saudi Arabia’s total delegation has 478 people; the nonprofit did not review the entire delegation.
COP24, held in 2018, was the last year Aramco disclosed in the UN attendance rolls that it had sent staff.
Saudi Arabia hailed the deal announced Wednesday as a success. The country did not respond to requests for a comment.
___
Associated Press climate and environmental coverage receives support from several private foundations. See more about AP’s climate initiative here. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (44)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Barbora Krejcikova wins Wimbledon for her second Grand Slam trophy by beating Jasmine Paolini
- Former fire chief who died at Trump rally used his body to shield family from gunfire
- Winston, beloved gorilla at San Diego Zoo Safari Park, dies at 52 after suffering health problems
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Trump safe after rally shooting, says bullet struck his ear; gunman and audience member dead
- Navy fighter pilots, sailors return home after months countering intense Houthi attacks
- Days after Beryl, oppressive heat and no power for more than 500k in Texas
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- ‘Demoralizing day’: Steve Kerr, Steph Curry on Trump assassination attempt
Ranking
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Mark Harmon reveals secret swooning over new Gibbs, 'NCIS: Origins' star Austin Stowell
- Carlos Alcaraz dominates Novak Djokovic to win Wimbledon men's title
- Alec Baldwin thanks supporters in first public comments after early end to trial
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- ‘Demoralizing day’: Steve Kerr, Steph Curry on Trump assassination attempt
- One Tech Tip: Protecting yourself against SIM swapping
- 'Shogun' wins four TCA Awards, including including top honors
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Stop & Shop will be closing 32 'underperforming' stores in 5 New England states
Mark Harmon reveals secret swooning over new Gibbs, 'NCIS: Origins' star Austin Stowell
Trump says bullet pierced the upper part of my right ear when shots were fired at Pennsylvania rally
From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
I didn't think country music was meant for Black women like me. Then came Beyoncé.
Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter case dismissed in Rust shooting
Attorney of Rust cinematographer's family says Alec Baldwin case dismissal strengthens our resolve to pursue justice