Current:Home > InvestLawsuit challenges $1 billion in federal funding to sustain California’s last nuclear power plant -Capitatum
Lawsuit challenges $1 billion in federal funding to sustain California’s last nuclear power plant
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 06:07:04
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An environmental group has sued the U.S. Energy Department over its decision to award over $1 billion to help keep California’s last nuclear power plant running beyond a planned closure that was set for 2025. The move opens another battlefront in the fight over the future of Diablo Canyon’s twin reactors.
Friends of the Earth, in a complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, argued that the award to plant operator Pacific Gas & Electric last year was based on an outdated, flawed analysis that failed to recognize the risk of earthquakes or other serious events.
The complaint called the safety assessment “grossly deficient” and accuses the Energy Department of relying on a 50-year-old environmental analysis.
“The environmental impacts from extending the lifespan of this aging power plant at this point in time have not been adequately addressed or disclosed to the public,” the complaint said.
An email seeking comment was sent to the Energy Department.
Diablo Canyon lies on a bluff overlooking the Pacific midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It began operating in the mid-1980s and supplies up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
In 2016, PG&E, environmental groups and unions representing plant workers agreed to close the facility by 2025. But the Legislature voided the deal in 2022 after Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom reversed his position and said the power is needed to ward off blackouts as the state transitions to renewables and climate change stresses California’s energy system.
Since then, disputes have swirled about the safety of Diablo Canyon’s decades-old reactors, whether taxpayers might be saddled with hundreds of millions of dollars in additional costs and even if the electricity is needed in the age of solar and other green energy.
PG&E has long said the twin-domed plant is safe, an assessment endorsed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
The Biden administration approved $1.1 billion in Energy Department funding in January. The financing came through the administration’s civil nuclear credit program, which is intended to bail out financially distressed owners or operators of nuclear power reactors as part of the administration’s effort to cut planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 compared with 2005 levels.
PG&E has said it wants to keep the plant open to “ensure statewide electrical reliability and combat climate change” at the direction of the state.
The utility is seeking a 20-year extension of its federal licenses, typical in the industry, but emphasized the state would control how long the plant actually runs. A state judge has conditionally approved a blueprint to keep it operating for an additional five years, until 2030.
California is the birthplace of the modern environmental movement and for decades has had a fraught relationship with nuclear power. The fight over Diablo Canyon is playing out as the long-struggling nuclear industry sees a potential rebirth in the era of global warming. Nuclear power doesn’t produce carbon pollution like fossil fuels, but it leaves behind waste that can remain dangerously radioactive for centuries.
veryGood! (48817)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Kelly Osbourne Says She Hid for 9 Months of Her Pregnancy to Avoid Being Fat Shamed
- Judge denies bond for woman charged in crash that killed newlywed, saying she's a flight risk
- USWNT is in trouble at 2023 World Cup if they don't turn things around — and fast
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- CVS layoffs: Healthcare giant cutting about 5,000 'non-customer facing positions'
- Sofía Vergara responds to Joe Manganiello's divorce filing, asks court to uphold prenup
- Uber is soaring. Could it become a trillion-dollar stock?
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Trump indictment key takeaways: What to know about the new charges in the 2020 election probe
Ranking
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Carli Lloyd blasts USWNT again, calls play 'uninspiring, disappointing' vs. Portugal
- An accomplice to convicted murderer Alex Murdaugh’s financial misdeeds gets seven years in prison
- 1 dies, over 50 others hurt in tour bus rollover at Grand Canyon West
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Order ‘Mexican Gothic’ author Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s new book, ‘Silver Nitrate,’ today
- CVS layoffs: Healthcare giant cutting about 5,000 'non-customer facing positions'
- NYPD: Body of missing Manhattan man pulled from creek waters near Brooklyn music venue
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Madonna says she's 'lucky' to be alive after ICU hospitalization, thanks her children
Meet the Cast of Big Brother Season 25, Including Some Historic Houseguests
Utah law requiring age verification for porn sites remains in effect after judge tosses lawsuit
Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
'I'm sorry, God! ... Why didn't you stop it?': School shooter breaks down in jail
RHOBH's Erika Jayne Addresses Ozempic Use Speculation Amid Weight Loss
Man charged with drunken driving in wrong-way Washington beltway crash that killed 1, hurt 9