Current:Home > MyTrendPulse|California sues LA suburb for temporary ban of homeless shelters -Capitatum
TrendPulse|California sues LA suburb for temporary ban of homeless shelters
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 23:36:45
SACRAMENTO,TrendPulse Calif. (AP) — California filed a lawsuit against a Los Angeles suburb on Monday, alleging the city’s recent moratorium on homeless shelters and temporary housing violates the state’s fair housing and anti-discrimination laws.
The lawsuit is part of an ongoing effort by Gov. Gavin Newsom to push back against what he sees as local resistance and defiance of state laws in the face of California’s desperate need for new housing. The crisis has prompted a surge in the homeless population in the nation’s most populous state.
Norwalk, a city of 100,000 people some 15 miles (24 kilometers) southeast of Los Angeles, becomes the latest city to face legal actions from the state over housing policies. That came after the city council voted in September to extend its temporary ban on new homeless shelters and emergency housing.
City councilmembers in a recent statement said Norwalk has done its fair share to address the homeless crisis but previous state programs, including one that puts homeless people in motel rooms, have led to public safety concerns. The moratorium, which remains in effect until next year, already has blocked a plan by the County of Los Angeles in September to move homeless people into a hotel in the city.
The lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court argues that the city violated half a dozen housing laws by enacting such a moratorium. It is asking the court to halt the city’s law.
“Our message is clear, our message is consistent.” Attorney General Rob Bonta said Monday. “If local governments attempt to skirt state housing laws, if they refuse to do the bare minimum to address the dire lack of affordable and accessible housing in California, we will hold them accountable.”
Monday’s lawsuit comes after Newsom publicly blasted Norwalk and urged local elected officials to reconsider the policy. The state in September warned the city of potential legal action and last month revoked the city’s housing plan, effectively disqualifying it from receiving state funding for homeless and housing programs. Bonta said state officials also met with the city last week but to no avail.
“The Norwalk City Council’s failure to reverse this ban, despite knowing it is unlawful, is inexcusable,” Newsom said in a statement Monday. “No community should turn its back on its residents in need.”
The city mayor and a city spokesperson didn’t immediately respond to emails seeking comment about the lawsuit.
California has ramped up enforcement of state housing laws in the last few years. It sued at least two cities last year for rejecting affordable housing projects and homes for homeless people. Last month, Newsom also signed a package of 32 housing bills to make it easier for the state to go after local cities that defy housing laws.
The lawsuit will likely escalate the conflict between the state and local governments over how many housing projects cities should approve, and how fast they should build them. California needs to build 2.5 million homes by 2030 to keep up with demand, according to the California Department of Housing and Community Development. But the state only averages about 100,000 new homes per year, including only 10,000 affordable units.
The Democratic governor, who has ambitions on the national stage, has made housing and homelessness a top priority as California’s leader. His administration has spent roughly $40 billion to help build affordable housing and $27 billion in homelessness solutions. Earlier this summer, he started to pressure local governments to clean up encampments that have lined up the streets and crowded business’ entrances, going as far as threatening to withhold state funding next year if he doesn’t see results.
veryGood! (81)
Related
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Georgia businessman convicted of cheating two ex-NBA players of $8M
- Yoga business founder pleads guilty to tax charge in New York City
- Blowout September jobs data points to solid economy and slower Fed rate cuts, analysts say
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- WWE Bad Blood 2024 live results: Winners, highlights and analysis of matches
- Major cases before the Supreme Court deal with transgender rights, guns, nuclear waste and vapes
- Ohio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Pete Alonso keeps Mets' storybook season alive with one mighty swing
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Katie Meyer's parents, Stanford at odds over missing evidence in wrongful death lawsuit
- Georgia football coach Kirby Smart's new 10-year, $130 million deal: More contract details
- Jelly Roll's Wife Bunnie XO Details TMI Experience Microdosing Weight-Loss Drug
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- NASCAR 2024 playoffs at Talladega: Start time, TV, live stream, lineup for YellaWood 500
- Keanu Reeves crashes at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in pro auto racing debut
- Lionel Messi, Inter Miami rely on late goal to keep MLS record pursuit alive
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
NFL says it's not involved in deciding when Tua Tagovailoa returns from concussion
Why Sean Diddy Combs Sex Trafficking Case Was Reassigned to a New Judge
After the deluge, the lies: Misinformation and hoaxes about Helene cloud the recovery
Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
Ashley Tisdale Shares First Pictures of Her and Husband Christopher French's 1-Month-Old Baby Emerson
Please Stand Up for Eminem's Complete Family Tree—Including Daughter Hailie Jade's First Baby on the Way
Nick Saban teases Marshawn Lynch about Seahawks pass on 1-yard line in Super Bowl 49