Current:Home > StocksSteward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution -Capitatum
Steward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 05:59:38
BOSTON (AP) — Steward Health Care CEO Ralph de la Torre filed a lawsuit Monday against a U.S. Senate committee that pursued contempt charges against him for failing to appear before the panel despite being issued a subpoena.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Washington, named nearly all members of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, including Sen. Bernie Sanders, who chairs the committee which has investigated Steward’s bankruptcy.
The lawsuit claims that the lawmakers are unlawfully violating de la Torre’s constitutional rights.
It alleges that the members of the committee, by trying to compel de la Torre to answer questions about Steward’s bankruptcy, are “collectively undertaking a concerted effort to punish Dr. de la Torre for invoking his Fifth Amendment right not to ‘be compelled . . . to be a witness against himself.’”
De la Torre is asking the court to declare that all actions related to enforcement of the subpoena are invalid and unconstitutional — including the vote of the committee on Sept. 19 approving the criminal contempt resolution and its decision to present the resolution to the full Senate for a vote.
The Senate approved the resolution last week.
“No one can be compelled to testify when they exercise this right under these circumstances. Nor does the Constitution permit Congress to punish and intimidate him, or any other American, for exercising these rights,” William “Bill” Burck, a lawyer for de la Torre, said in a written statement.
The lawsuit comes a day before de la Torre is set to step down as CEO of Steward.
De la Torre has overseen Steward’s network of some 30 hospitals around the country. The Texas-based company’s troubled recent history has drawn scrutiny from elected officials in New England, where some of its hospitals are located.
A spokesperson for de la Torre said Saturday that he “has amicably separated from Steward on mutually agreeable terms” and “will continue to be a tireless advocate for the improvement of reimbursement rates for the underprivileged patient population.”
Sanders said earlier this month that Congress “will hold Dr. de la Torre accountable for his greed and for the damage he has caused to hospitals and patients throughout America.”
Steward has shut down pediatric wards in Massachusetts and Louisiana, closed neonatal units in Florida and Texas, and eliminated maternity services at a hospital in Florida.
Democratic Sen. Edward Markey of Massachusetts said that over the past decade, Steward, led by de la Torre, and its corporate enablers, “looted hospitals across the country for profit, and got rich through their greedy schemes.”
Alexander Merton, an attorney for de la Torre, has said the fault instead lies with “the systemic failures in Massachusetts’ health care system” and that the committee was trying to frame de la Torre as a criminal scapegoat. Merton has also said that de la Torre would agree to testify at a later date.
On Friday, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced her administration had formally seized a hospital through eminent domain to help keep it open and transition to a new owner. St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Boston was one of a group run by Steward. Operations will be transferred to Boston Medical Center.
Two other Steward-operated hospitals in Massachusetts were forced to close after qualified buyers could not be found during the bankruptcy process.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- A disease killing beavers in Utah can also affect humans, authorities say
- This Fashion Designer Is Joining The Real Housewives of New York City Season 15
- Christine Quinn Accuses Ex Christian Dumontet of Not Paying $100,000 in Hospital Bills
- Bodycam footage shows high
- 2024 WNBA draft, headlined by No. 1 pick Caitlin Clark, shatters TV viewership record
- Matthew Perry hailed for '17 Again' comedy chops: 'He'd figure out a scene down to the atoms'
- Police seeking arrest of Pennsylvania state lawmaker for allegedly violating restraining order
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- Democrats who investigated Trump say they expect to face arrest, retaliation if he wins presidency
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Trevor Bauer accuser charged with felony fraud after she said pitcher got her pregnant
- Cyberattack hits New York state government’s bill drafting office
- Jimmy John's selling Deliciously Dope Dime Bag to celebrate 4/20. How much is it?
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Some families left in limbo after Idaho's ban on gender-affirming care for minors allowed to take effect
- David Beckham Celebrates Wife Victoria Beckham’s Birthday With Never-Before-Seen Family Footage
- Jason Kelce lost his Super Bowl ring in a pool of chili at 'New Heights' show
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Patriots deny report that Robert Kraft warned Arthur Blank against hiring Bill Belichick
Jason Kelce lost his Super Bowl ring in a pool of chili at 'New Heights' show
Appeals court overturns West Virginia law banning transgender girls from sports teams
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
New Mexico special legislative session to focus on public safety initiatives
A Tarot reading told her money was coming. A lottery ticket worth $500K was in her purse.
Verizon Wireless class action settlement deadline is approaching. Here's how to join