Current:Home > InvestA’s face tight schedule to get agreements and financing in place to open Las Vegas stadium on time -Capitatum
A’s face tight schedule to get agreements and financing in place to open Las Vegas stadium on time
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 22:30:07
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Oakland Athletics are on a tight schedule to get agreements in place and demonstrate that financing is set for construction to begin on time for the team to play in its new Las Vegas stadium.
The A’s hopes to open the approximately $1.5 million, 33,000-seat ballpark in time for the 2028 season.
This is the A’s final season in Oakland. They agreed to play the following three seasons, with an option for a fourth, in a Triple-A stadium in West Sacramento, California.
Steve Hill, president and CEO of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, said the timelines would be met.
“They’re coming and they’ve said they can finance this stadium,” Hill said. “They are going to play baseball here in 2028. I frankly think it’s just fun (for critics) to create some drama around it and that’s happening. That keeps all of our lives a little more interesting, but it doesn’t change the facts on the ground, which is they’ve said what they’re going to do and they’re just doing it.”
Attempts to reach A’s officials for comment were unsuccessful.
Managing partner Brendan Bussmann of B Global, an international consulting firm based in Las Vegas, said ideally ground would be broken on the Strip-located stadium by March 1 for the A’s to play there in 2028.
Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said Thursday at the owners meeting that construction should begin by April. Hill said the A’s themselves have provided that timeline, and he noted Allegiant Stadium — home to the NFL’s Las Vegas Raiders — was built in 31 months.
“You think you could probably get the ballpark built in a very similar period of time,” Hill said. “It’s obviously a little bit smaller structure.”
He said starting later than April didn’t necessarily mean the opening date would be pushed back, saying construction could be done in double shifts and on weekends.
Two key documents still need to be approved by the Las Vegas Stadium Authority Board, which Hill chairs.
One is the non-relocation agreement, which was introduced last week. That agreement, expected to be for a term of 30 years, could be approved in the authority’s planned July meeting.
The likely most critical piece is the development agreement. That will lay out the financing to supplement the $380 million in public funding approved by the Democratic-controlled Nevada Legislature in a special session last June and signed by Republican Gov. Joe Lombardo.
Hill said he wasn’t concerned whether A’s owner John Fisher can provide the roughly $1.1 billion of financing on his end. The A’s have hired New York-based Galatioto Sports Partners to help find investors.
“I think John’s looking at options,” Hill said. “I don’t think it’s necessarily out of need. I think it’s to make sure that the funding is the most efficient for the A’s.”
Would Fisher be willing to fund the stadium without investors?
“He has the ability to do that, yeah,” Hill said.
Bussmann said the A’s have not laid out enough of a financing plan to assuage the public’s concerns whether the money will be there.
“This is where the A’s need to put forward, ’Here’s our plan and this is what we need to stick to,’” Bussmann said.
He said if the A’s aren’t transparent, criticism of whether a financing plan will be achieved will dog the organization throughout the process of building a stadium.
Hill, however, pushed back on the notion the ballclub wasn’t properly communicating its plans. He said there haven’t been as many public meetings as when the then-Oakland Raiders went through the process of building Allegiant Stadium, which was completed in 2020, because that was all new for Las Vegas officials.
“We’ve got a template that’s in place,” Hill said. “(It) helps with these documents and helps simply list all the issues that might come up. So both sides are doing the work and it’s getting done and we’re on track and we don’t see any reason why that won’t continue.”
The authority and the A’s had a big legal victory May 13 when the Nevada Supreme Court ruled against a proposed ballot initiative that would’ve put public funding for the stadium up for a vote this year. Now the Schools over Stadiums political action committee said it would attempt to do so again in 2026, but that likely would be too late to prevent the stadium from going up.
“If it’s on the 2026 ballot, that’s 18 months into construction,” Bussmann said.
Another PAC, Strong Public Schools Nevada, which is backed by the Nevada State Education Association, filed a lawsuit in February challenging whether the money allocated by the Legislature violates the state constitution.
Hill did not comment specifically on those two legal challenges, but said he was confident in the end the stadium will open when scheduled.
Bussmann, for all his concerns about what still needs to be accomplished, didn’t necessarily disagree.
“You’re on the clock at this point,” Bussmann said. “They have 10-plus months to get this done. What needs to happen at this point in time is doable.”
The A’s also are focusing what needs to be accomplished in Sacramento, and Manfred said the club is building a separate clubhouse and renovating the visiting one. Other upgrades are being made as well, such as club seating and video boards.
“So there’s a lot going on there to get it up to snuff for the interim period,” Manfred said.
___
AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/mlb
veryGood! (8312)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- IRS sues Ohio doctor whose views on COVID-19 vaccinations drew complaints
- Trump fans’ bus loaded with MAGA merchandise crashes in New York City
- Boy Meets World's Trina McGee Is Pregnant, Expecting Her Fourth Baby at 54
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Rapper Sean Kingston booked into Florida jail, where he and mother are charged with $1M in fraud
- Tuesday’s primary in Montana will lock in GOP challenger to 3-term US Sen. Jon Tester
- Feds seek person who left bag of $120,000 with promise of more at home of food fraud juror
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Michael Doulas visits Israel to show solidarity as war in Gaza continues
Ranking
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Miley Cyrus Asks Where the F--k Was I? While Calling Out 20-Year Wait for Grammy Recognition
- Who will replace Pat Sajak on 'Wheel of Fortune?' Hint: He was 7 when Sajak began hosting.
- Brittany Mahomes Encourages Caitlin Clark to Shake Off the Haters Amid WNBA Journey
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- Rebel Wilson thinks it's 'nonsense' that straight actors shouldn't be able to play gay characters
- Confrontation between teen and NYC parks officer, captured on video, leads to investigation
- Electric bills forecast to soar with record summer heat, straining household budgets
Recommendation
Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
Sandy Hook families ask bankruptcy judge to liquidate Alex Jones' media company
Battle with Texas rancher ends, 249 'zombie deer' killed amid state's largest CWD outbreak
Should you buy Nvidia before the 10-for-1 stock split?
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Miley Cyrus Asks Where the F--k Was I? While Calling Out 20-Year Wait for Grammy Recognition
Cucumbers in 14 states recalled over potential salmonella contamination
Spotify hikes price of memberships as it seeks to drive profits