Current:Home > InvestJonathan Majors faces sentencing for assault conviction that derailed Marvel star’s career -Capitatum
Jonathan Majors faces sentencing for assault conviction that derailed Marvel star’s career
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 09:50:31
NEW YORK (AP) — Actor Jonathan Majors is scheduled to be sentenced Monday in a New York court for assaulting his former girlfriend, a conviction that has already derailed the once-rising star’s career.
The actor could be sentenced to a year in prison but could also just receive probation after a Manhattan jury in December found him guilty of misdemeanor assault.
Lawyers for Majors and Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg declined to say ahead of the hearing what punishment they’ll seek from a judge.
Following the guilty verdict, Majors was immediately dropped by Marvel Studios, which had cast him as Kang the Conqueror, a role envisioned as the main villain in the entertainment empire’s movies and television shows for years to come.
The conviction stems from an altercation in March 2023 in which Majors’ then-girlfriend Grace Jabbari accused him of attacking her in the backseat of a chauffeured car, saying he hit her head with his open hand, twisted her arm behind her back and squeezed her middle finger until it fractured.
Majors claimed the 31-year-old British dancer was the aggressor, flying into a jealous rage after reading a text message from another woman on his phone. He maintained he was only trying to regain his phone and escape Jabbari safely.
The jury ultimately convicted him of one assault charge and a harassment violation, though acquitted him on a different assault charge and of aggravated harassment.
Majors was originally slated to be sentenced in February, but his lawyers sought to dismiss the conviction. A Manhattan judge denied the motion last week.
Majors had hoped his two-week criminal trial would vindicate him and restore his status in Hollywood.
In a television interview shortly after his conviction, he said he deserves a second chance.
“As he eagerly anticipates closing this chapter, he looks forward to redirecting his time and energy fully toward his family and his art,” Majors’ lawyers said in a statement last week after losing their bid to have the conviction tossed out.
But the 34-year-old California native and Yale University graduate still faces other legal hurdles. Last month, Jabbari filed a civil suit in Manhattan federal court, accusing the actor of assault, battery, defamation and inflicting emotional distress.
She claims Majors subjected her to escalating incidents of physical and verbal abuse during their relationship, which lasted from 2021 to 2023.
Majors’ lawyers have declined to respond to the claims, saying only that they’re preparing to file counterclaims against Jabbari.
The actor had his breakthrough role in 2019’s “The Last Black Man in San Francisco.” He also starred in the HBO horror series “Lovecraft Country,” which earned him an Emmy nomination, and as the nemesis to fictional boxing champ Adonis Creed in the blockbuster “Creed III.”
As for Marvel, a looming question remains whether the studio will recast the role of Kang or pivot in a new direction.
Majors’ departure was among a recent series of high-profile setbacks for the vaunted superhero factory, which has earned an unprecedented $30 billion worldwide from 33 films.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Hurricane Beryl rips through open waters after devastating the southeast Caribbean
- Dutch volleyball player Steven van de Velde on Paris Olympics team 8 years after child rape conviction
- Jennie Garth says she's 'friends now' with ex Peter Facinelli: 'He even unblocked me'
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Last known survivors of Tulsa Race Massacre challenge Oklahoma high court decision
- Supreme Court rules Trump has immunity for official acts in landmark case on presidential power
- The Daily Money: Identity theft victims face a long wait for refunds
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Supreme Court refuses to hear bite mark case
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Jeffrey Epstein secret transcripts: Victim was asked, Do you know 'you committed a crime?'
- Biden to give extended interview to ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos on Friday
- Judge sides with 16 states, putting on pause Biden’s delay of consideration of gas export projects
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Keith Roaring Kitty Gill buys $245 million stake in Chewy
- USA TODAY Editor-in-Chief Terence Samuel leaves Gannett after one year
- Mark Consuelos debuts shaved head on 'Live' with Kelly Ripa: See his new look
Recommendation
Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
Supreme Court agrees to review Texas age verification law for porn sites
USMNT eliminated from Copa America after loss to Uruguay: Highlights, score
2 adults dead, child critically injured in Maryland apartment fire
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
The Kid Laroi goes Instagram official with Tate McRae in honor of singer's birthday
Small businesses could find filing for bankruptcy more difficult as government program expires
Texas to double $5 billion state fund aimed at expanding the power grid