Current:Home > ScamsU.S. military reports 1st Houthi unmanned underwater vessel in Red Sea -Capitatum
U.S. military reports 1st Houthi unmanned underwater vessel in Red Sea
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 06:11:18
The U.S. military conducted five self-defense strikes in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen on Saturday, including one against an unmanned underwater vessel, U.S. Central Command said Sunday.
Saturday's incident marked the first observed Houthi use of an unmanned underwater vessel since attacks in the Red Sea region started in October, CENTCOM said.
The military on Saturday between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. local time also conducted self-defense strikes against three mobile anti-ship cruise missiles and an unmanned surface vessel. CENTCOM "determined they presented an imminent threat to U.S. Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region," the military said in a news release. "These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S. Navy and merchant vessels."
The Houthis have launched a barrage of drones and anti-ship ballistic missiles in recent months, targeting dozens of ships and disrupting a crucial international shipping corridor. When they began their attacks, the Houthis said they would only shoot at ships linked to Israel.
On Jan. 11, the U.S. and British militaries, in conjunction with other allies, launched the first strikes in response to Houthi attacks. Several days later, the U.S. government re-designated the Houthi movement as a terrorist organization as the group stepped up attacks in the Red Sea.
The Red Sea, regularly used by commercial ships, is the primary route by sea between Europe and Asia. Many companies are now bypassing the area out of safety concerns.
Shipping giants, including CMA CGA, Equinor, Evergreen, Hapag-Lloyd, Maersk, Orient Overseas and ZIM, have said they plan to avoid the Red Sea while the violence persists, MoneyWatch previously reported. Energy company BP in December said it had suspended gas and oil shipments in the area. Ikea previously warned of possible shortages as shipping companies bypass the Red Sea.
U.S. Ambassador Robert Wood spoke about the issue at a UN Security Council Briefing on Yemen last week, noting that rerouting a ship around Africa adds roughly 10 days and $1 million in fuel costs for each one-way voyage between Asia and Europe.
"The Houthis are trying to apply a chokehold on global shipping through the Red Sea," Wood said. "As a result, people around the world face increased costs for goods and supplies."
- In:
- Red Sea
- Houthi Movement
- Yemen
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBSNews.com. She has previously written for outlets including PIX11 News, The New York Daily News, Inside Edition and DNAinfo. Aliza covers trending news, often focusing on crime and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (49)
Related
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Golden Bachelor's Gerry Turner Marries Theresa Nist in Live TV Wedding
- A judge in Oregon refuses to dismiss a 2015 climate lawsuit filed by youth
- Nevada judge is back to work a day after being attacked by defendant who jumped atop her
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Indian Navy deploys ship and patrol aircraft following bid to hijack a Liberia-flagged bulk carrier
- Body found in freezer at San Diego home may have been woman missing for years, police say
- Justice Department sues Texas, Gov. Abbott over state law allowing migrant arrests, deportations
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Who is marrying the 'Golden Bachelor?' 10 facts about ‘Golden Wedding’ bride Theresa Nist
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- MetLife Stadium to remove 1,740 seats for 2026 World Cup, officials hoping to host final
- Poor schools are prepared to return to court if Pennsylvania budget falls short on funding plan
- Steve Burton exits 'Days of Our Lives' 1 year after reprising role
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- America's workers are owed more than $163 million in back pay. See if you qualify.
- Bachelor Nation's Adam Gottschalk Says Bryan Abasolo Put All He Could Into Rachel Lindsay Marriage
- Unsealed Jeffrey Epstein Docs Allege Prince Andrew Groped Woman With Hand Puppet
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
New York governor pushes for paid medical leave during pregnancy
Dozens injured after two subway trains collide, derail in Manhattan
Dalvin Cook signing with Baltimore Ravens after split from New York Jets
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Golden Bachelor's Gerry Turner Marries Theresa Nist in Live TV Wedding
Georgia House special election to replace Barry Fleming set for February
Possible Ozempic side effects including hair loss and suicidal thoughts probed by FDA