Current:Home > MarketsEx-gang leader’s account of Tupac Shakur killing is fiction, defense lawyer in Vegas says -Capitatum
Ex-gang leader’s account of Tupac Shakur killing is fiction, defense lawyer in Vegas says
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 06:14:03
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The defense attorney representing a former Los Angeles-area gang leader accused of killing hip-hop music icon Tupac Shakur in 1996 in Las Vegas said Tuesday his client’s accounts of the killing are fiction and prosecutors lack key evidence to obtain a murder conviction.
“He himself is giving different stories,” attorney Carl Arnold told reporters outside a courtroom following a brief status check with his client, Duane “Keffe D” Davis, in front of a Nevada judge. His trial is scheduled for Nov. 4.
“We haven’t seen more than just his word,” Arnold said of Davis’ police and media interviews since 2008 in which prosecutors say he incriminated himself in Shakur’s killing — including Davis’ 2019 tell-all memoir of life leading a street gang in Compton, California.
Prosecutor Binu Palal did not immediately comment outside court about Arnold’s statements. Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson has said evidence against Davis is strong and it will be up to a jury to decide the credibility of Davis’ accounts.
Arnold said his client wanted to make money with his story, so he embellished or outright lied about his involvement in the car-to-car shooting that killed Shakur and wounded rap music mogul Marion “Suge” Knight at a traffic signal near the Las Vegas Strip in September 1996.
Knight, now 59, is serving 28 years in a California prison for an unrelated fatal shooting in the Los Angeles area in 2015. He was not called by prosecutors to testify before the grand jury that indicted Davis last year.
Arnold said Davis will not testify at trial, but he intends to call Knight to testify. The defense attorney said police and prosecutors lack proof that Davis was in Las Vegas at the time of Shakur’s killing, and don’t have the gun and car used during the shooting as evidence.
“We’ve seen video of everybody else here. Where’s video of him?” Arnold said of Davis. “There’s just nothing saying that he was here.”
Davis has been jailed on $750,000 bail since his arrest in September. Arnold said Tuesday that Davis has been unable to raise the 10% needed to obtain a bond to be released to house arrest.
Davis, 60, is originally from Compton. Police, prosecutors and Davis say he is the only person still alive who was in the car from which shots were fired.
Davis pleaded not guilty in November to first-degree murder. If convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.
In his book, Davis wrote that he was promised immunity from prosecution when he told authorities in Los Angeles what he knew about the fatal shootings of Shakur and rival rapper Christopher Wallace six months later in Los Angeles. Wallace was known as The Notorious B.I.G. or Biggie Smalls.
Shakur had five No. 1 albums, was nominated for six Grammy Awards and was inducted in 2017 into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. He received a posthumous star last year on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
veryGood! (9511)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Republican Party rifts on display in Virginia congressional primary pitting Good and McGuire
- NYC considers ending broker fees for tenants, angering real estate industry
- Matt Bomer Says He Lost Superman Movie Role Because of His Sexuality
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Mississippi woman who oversaw drug trafficking is sentenced to prison, prosecutor says
- New Hampshire attorney general says fatal killing of Manchester man by police was legally justified
- Riot Fest announces shakeup with new location, lineup: Fall Out Boy, Beck, Slayer
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Modest needs? Charity founder accused of embezzling $2.5 million to fund lavish lifestyle
Ranking
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Entrapment in play as appeals court looks at plot to kidnap Michigan governor
- Liza Minnelli opens up about addiction, Judy Garland in new film: 'Not a lot of laughs'
- Skier's body recovered in Mount Rainier National Park 3 weeks after apparent 200-foot fall
- Euphoria's Hunter Schafer Says Ex Dominic Fike Cheated on Her Before Breakup
- UEFA Euro 2024 schedule: Full groups, how to watch and odds
- Rare white bison calf reportedly born in Yellowstone National Park: A blessing and warning
- Immigration activists sue Biden administration over border policy
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Travis Kelce Teases His Next Career Move After He Retires From the NFL
Wildfire burning near Twin Lakes, Colorado forces evacuations: See the map
Southern Mississippi Football Player Marcus MJ Daniels Jr. Dead at 21 After Shooting
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Navajo Summit Looks at History and Future of Tribe’s Relationship With Energy
Police: 'Senior assassin' prank leaves Kansas teen shot by angry father, paralyzed
Angelina Jolie Details How Bond With Daughter Vivienne Has Grown Over Past Year