Current:Home > reviewsSpain identifies 212 German, Austrian and Dutch fighters who went missing during Spanish Civil War -Capitatum
Spain identifies 212 German, Austrian and Dutch fighters who went missing during Spanish Civil War
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:54:37
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Spanish government researchers said Sunday they had identified 357 foreign fighters who went missing during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), the conflict that foreshadowed World War II.
Researchers confirmed the names of 212 fighters from Germany, Austria and the Netherlands, according to a statement from the government Sunday. Some 102 are of German origin, 70 Austrian and 40 Dutch. It gave no information on how many people of other nationalities had been identified.
The identified combatants fought within the International Brigades, military units set up by the Communist International to fight against General Francisco Franco’s fascist forces. Some 40,000 foreign men and women joined up as volunteers, fighting alongside the forces of the democratic Second Spanish Republic and against the rise of fascism in Europe in late 1930s.
The findings are based on a year of research in records held in documentary archives in Spain and Russia. Researchers combed through the daily lists of casualties and missing soldiers compiled by officers in the International Brigades.
The names of private soldiers were frequently omitted from the lists, making the research process more difficult. These lists are held in the Russian State Archive of Socio-Political History, in Moscow. Researchers also dipped into the main archives on the Spanish Civil War located in Spain.
By cross-referencing documents, researchers were also able to identify the likely area where the soldiers died or were badly wounded. It is an important step toward locating their remains inside mass graves scattered across the country.
This research provides “very valuable information that gives us the opportunity to contact the families of the missing combatants and, in the future, to intervene in the mass graves that have been located,” said Alfons Aragoneses, head of the project.
All those identified were part of the Thälmann Brigade, a Communist unit made up largely of anti-Nazi Germans. The battalion was active on the Ebro River front in northeastern Spain between March and September 1938, the site of the longest and deadliest battle of the war.
The research is ongoing and it is funded by Catalan regional government, with the aim of contributing to the country’s historical memory. The second phase of the project will try to identify missing militiamen from Great Britain, Ireland, Canada and the United States. The final step would require opening the graves in search of bodies.
Historians estimate nearly 10,000 foreign volunteers died in combat on Spanish soil during the war. How many are still unidentified, buried inside graves, remains unknown.
The Spanish Civil War served as a testing ground for Hitler’s Germany and Mussolini’s Italy prior to World War II. This triggered an international outcry to try to save the Republic’s democratic government, which eventually succumbed to Franco in 1939.
veryGood! (1956)
Related
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Who am I? A South Korean adoptee finds answers about the past — just not the ones she wants
- United States men's national soccer team vs. Mexico: How to watch Tuesday's friendly
- Sofia Richie Shares New Glimpse at Baby Girl Eloise
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Mike Tyson will 'embarrass' Jake Paul, says Muhammad Ali's grandson Nico Ali Walsh
- Former officer with East Germany’s secret police sentenced to prison for a border killing in 1974
- Columbus Blue Jackets memorialize Johnny Gaudreau, hoist '13' banner
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Walgreens to close 1,200 unprofitable stores across US as part of 'turnaround'
Ranking
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Lowriding is more than just cars. It’s about family and culture for US Latinos
- Jacksonville Jaguars trade DL Roy Robertson-Harris to Seattle Seahawks
- Review: 'NCIS: Origins' prequel is good enough for Gibbs
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Halle Bailey Details “Crippling Anxiety” Over Leaving Son Halo for Work After DDG Split
- Two men shot during Pennsylvania assassination attempt on Trump say Secret Service failed them
- Voters in California and Nevada consider ban on forced labor aimed at protecting prisoners
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
WNBA not following the script and it makes league that much more entertaining
RHOSLC's Lisa Barlow Hilariously Weighs in on Mormon Sex Swinging Culture
When will Jonathon Brooks play? Latest injury update on Panthers rookie RB
A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
Simu Liu Calls Out Boba Tea Company Over Cultural Appropriation Concerns
Moreno’s abortion comment rattles debate in expensive Senate race in Republican-leaning Ohio
Musk hails Starship demo as step toward 'multiplanetary' life; tests began with ugly explosion