Current:Home > NewsNorth Carolina lawmakers to vote on initial Helene relief -Capitatum
North Carolina lawmakers to vote on initial Helene relief
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 00:41:26
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina General Assembly leaders said Friday that they’re prepared to approve initial disaster relief next week to address Hurricane Helene damage.
House Speaker Tim Moore and Senate leader Phil Berger said in a joint news release that details are still being worked out about exactly what is needed now to facilitate the state’s response.
The Republican-controlled legislature had already scheduled a one-day session for Wednesday.
“It will take time to know the full catastrophic nature of this storm, but the General Assembly stands ready to take the necessary steps to help our neighbors in Western North Carolina,” Berger said in a statement earlier this week.
Damage in the mountains is still being evaluated, so lawmakers expect to this legislation will include just a down payment on the state’s contribution, along with other changes to state law that would provide flexibility to agencies and displaced residents.
For example, within two weeks of the destruction caused by Hurricane Florence in eastern North Carolina in September 2018, lawmakers quickly approved $57 million in disaster relief funds and also waived fees for displaced residents to obtain new driver’s licenses and identification cards. They also passed a bill forgiving schools in the hardest-hit areas up to 20 lost instructional days to ensure workers got paid.
Election law changes also could be considered next week. In 2018, local election officials received flexibility on moving voting places after precincts were damaged by flooding.
After the initial Florence legislation, the General Assembly approved another law a couple of weeks later that spent $400 million immediately and set aside another $450 million for future needs.
Some agencies have already described post-Helene needs. The Department of Public Instruction is seeking up to $166 million, nearly all of it for school repairs and renovations, technology losses and school meal needs.
The state government currently has $4.75 billion set aside in a “rainy-day” fund and $733 million in a disaster response reserve. Other pots of money could be tapped if needed.
Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper would be asked to sign any bill into law. His office didn’t immediately respond Friday to a request for comment. Top Democrats in the House and Senate this week said their caucuses are ready to work with Republicans and Cooper.
“We have to begin planning for the long term recovery, which will take time,” House Minority Leader Robert Reives of Chatham County said in a release.
After Wednesday, the General Assembly is scheduled to reconvene for several days on Nov. 19 and Dec. 11, but lawmakers or Cooper could decide a special session sooner to address Helene is needed.
The state’s top elected leaders — Cooper, Berger and Moore among them — have traveled to the mountains to see the damage firsthand.
“Our hearts are broken for the communities that have been ravaged by Hurricane Helene,” Moore and Berger said. “Despite the destruction, it has been incredible to see how North Carolinians have stepped up to help.”
veryGood! (9)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Man sentenced to 37 years on hate crime charges in deadly shooting at Muslim-owned tire shop
- MS-13 gang member pleads guilty in killing of 4 young men on Long Island in 2017
- Officer acquitted in 2020 death of Manuel Ellis in Tacoma hired by neighboring sheriff's office
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival canceled for second consecutive year
- Germany soccer team jerseys will be redesigned after Nazi logo similarities
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly rise cheered by Wall Street finish
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Two-time NBA champion point guard Rajon Rondo makes retirement official
Ranking
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Why don't eclipses happen every month? Moon's tilted orbit is the key.
- Trump Media sues Truth Social founders Andrew Litinsky, Wes Moss for 'reckless' decisions
- After voters reject tax measure, Chiefs and Royals look toward future, whether in KC or elsewhere
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Elizabeth Hurley says she 'felt comfortable' filming sex scene directed by son Damian Hurley
- Cute or cruel? Team's 'Ozempig' mascot draws divided response as St. Paul Saints double down
- The one thing you'll want to do is the only thing not to do while driving during solar eclipse
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
South Korean computer chipmaker plans $3.87 billion Indiana semiconductor plant and research center
Mike Tyson says he's 'scared to death' ahead of fight vs. Jake Paul
NIT schedule today: Everything to know about men's championship on April 4
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Love Is Blind Star Chelsea Blackwell Shares Her Weight-Loss Journey
Man wins $2.6 million after receiving a scratch-off ticket from his father
No contaminants detected in water after Baltimore bridge collapse, authorities say