Current:Home > MarketsWNBA to begin full-time charter flights this season, commissioner says -Capitatum
WNBA to begin full-time charter flights this season, commissioner says
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 05:57:05
NEW YORK (AP) — The wait for full-time charter flights for WNBA teams finally is over with commissioner Cathy Engelbert announcing the league’s plans to start the program this season.
“We intend to fund a full-time charter for this season,” Engelbert said Tuesday in a meeting with sports editors.
She said the league will launch the program “as soon as we can get planes in places.”
Engelbert said the program will cost the league around $25 million per year for the next two seasons.
The WNBA already had announced at its draft last month plans to once again pay for charter flights for the entire playoffs as well as for back-to-back games during the upcoming season that require air travel.
The league’s schedule features more back-to-back sets this season with the WNBA taking a long break for the Olympics in late July and early August. The league spent $4 million on charters in 2023.
Engelbert said before the WNBA draft that the league needs to be in the right financial position to charter planes.
The WNBA is attracting more attention than ever thanks to rookies like Caitlin Clark, who helped the NCAA reach its best viewership in history for women’s basketball, with nearly 19 million fans watching the title game, along with Angel Reese who went to the Met Gala on Monday night and Cameron Brink.
Clark attracted attention walking through the airport with her new Indiana Fever teammates for a preseason game with the Dallas Wings last week. That exhibition sold out with fans lined up eager to get inside.
WNBA teams also have been moving games against Clark and Indiana to bigger arenas due to increased demand.
Flights have been an issue for the WNBA that only increased last year with the league working with Brittney Griner and the Phoenix Mercury. They had to go commercial air, and the All-Star center who had been detained in Russia for nearly 10 months was harassed by what the WNBA called a “provocateur.”
The league hadn’t allowed teams to use charter flights except for when they have back-to-back games.
Many teams had been using public charter airline JSX. Those flights were allowed by the WNBA with certain protocols in place, including that teams fly on the 30-seat planes using preset routes and times.
___
AP WNBA: https://apnews.com/hub/wnba-basketball
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
- Why It is absolutely not too late for Florida's coral reefs
- Carlee Russell, whose story captivated the nation, is due in court over the false reports
- Henry Golding and Wife Liv Lo Welcome Baby No. 2
- 'Most Whopper
- 5 Things podcast: Israel intensifies assault on Gaza, Americans unaccounted for
- Australia in talks with Indonesia about a possible challenge to Saudi Arabia for the 2034 World Cup
- New Zealand immigration hits an all-time high as movement surges following pandemic lull
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Sketch released of person of interest in fatal shooting on Vermont trail
Ranking
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- 7th charged after Korean woman’s body found in trunk, with 1 suspect saying he was a victim too
- Kenya ends arrangement to swap doctors with Cuba. The deal was unpopular with Kenyan doctors
- Horoscopes Today, October 11, 2023
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Remains found in Arizona desert in 1982 identified as man who left home to search for gold in Nevada
- Texas man who killed woman in 2000 addresses victim's family moments before execution: I sincerely apologize for all of it
- Amazon Influencers Share the Items They Always Subscribe & Save
Recommendation
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
George Santos denies new federal charges, including credit card fraud, aggravated identity theft
California law banning large-capacity gun magazines likely to survive lawsuit, court says
Georgia high court reverses dismissal of murder charges against ex-jailers in detainee death
Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
Democratic challenger raises more campaign cash than GOP incumbent in Mississippi governor’s race
Deion Sanders says Travis Hunter, Colorado's two-way star, cleared to return with protection
New Zealand immigration hits an all-time high as movement surges following pandemic lull