Current:Home > ScamsNorth Carolina state workers’ health plan ending coverage for certain weight-loss drugs -Capitatum
North Carolina state workers’ health plan ending coverage for certain weight-loss drugs
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:38:39
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The health insurance program for North Carolina government workers, teachers, retirees and their families soon won’t cover popular but expensive anti-obesity drugs, the result of a price fight with the manufacturer of two brand-name medications.
The North Carolina State Health Plan trustees board voted 4-3 on Thursday to exclude coverage effective April 1 of what are known as GLP-1 medications when used for the purpose of weight loss, news outlets reported. GLP-1-related prescriptions for diabetes treatment aren’t affected.
The State Health Plan, which covers more than 700,000 people, has been dealing with massive growth in prescriptions of these drugs and their resulting expense. The GLP-1 weight-loss medications cost the plan an estimated $102 million in 2023, plan officials say, or about 10% of what it paid for all prescriptions.
In October, the board had voted to permit what became nearly 25,000 people with prescriptions for Wegovy, Saxenda or Zepbound for the purpose of weight loss at the end of 2023 to continue receiving them. But no additional prescriptions would be allowed going forward.
But this shift in drug utilization meant the State Health Plan would lose a 40% rebate on the cost of Wegovy and Saxenda from their manufacturer Novo Nordisk through the contract with plan pharmacy benefits manager CVS/Caremark.
That would have resulted in the plan spending $139 million on the grandfathered prescriptions, instead of $84 million with the rebate. Even with the rebate, the state plan was paying $800 for a month of Wegovy.
By ending coverage for the weight-loss drugs after April 1, the plan said it could save nearly $100 million this year.
“We can’t spend money we don’t have, we just can’t,” said Dr. Pete Robie, a board member. Thursday’s vote ended the grandfather provision.
If no limits had been set, the State Health Plan would have spent an estimated $170 million on the weight-loss drugs, plan administrator Sam Watts said. That could have necessitated by 2025 a monthly surcharge of $48.50 on each plan member, the plan said, whether that member is using the drugs or not.
Board member Melanie Bush argued that the plan should maintain coverage of the existing prescriptions while negotiations continue with manufacturers and CVS/Caremark.
“This is a life-saving drug, and we’re talking about denying it,” said Bush, who also helps lead the state’s Medicaid program. Board members agreed the vote could be reconsidered if a compromise is reached.
“We have seen movement, but not enough movement to say, ‘Yes we have a solution,’” Watts said.
veryGood! (95)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Nvidia's financial results are here: What to expect when the AI giant reports on its big day
- 'Your worst nightmare:' Poisonous fireworms spotted on Texas coast pack a sting
- Nick Cannon and Brittany Bell's Advanced Son Golden Is Starting 4th Grade at 7 Years Old
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- College football Week 1 predictions and looking back at Florida State in this week's podcast
- Michigan football's once spotless reputation in tatters after decisions to win at all cost
- Caitlin Clark's next game: Indiana Fever vs. Connecticut Sun on Wednesday
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Scooter Braun Addresses Docuseries on His and Taylor Swift's Feud
Ranking
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- At 68, she wanted to have a bat mitzvah. Then her son made a film about it.
- Railroad BNSF stresses safety but is still held back by longstanding industry issues, report finds
- 80-year-old man dies after falling off boat on the Grand Canyon's Colorado River
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- New Jersey man drowns while rescuing 2 of his children in Delaware River
- Biden plans to travel to Wisconsin next week to highlight energy policies and efforts to lower costs
- At 68, she wanted to have a bat mitzvah. Then her son made a film about it.
Recommendation
What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
Jeremy Allen White models Calvin Klein underwear in new campaign: See the photos
Kadarius Toney cut by Kansas City as Chiefs' WR shake-up continues
'Yellowstone' First Look Week: Jamie Dutton doubles down on family duplicity (photos)
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Residents in Boston suburb raised $20K after town officials shut down boy’s ice cream stand
Nonprofit Law Center Asks EPA to Take Over Water Permitting in N.C.
Residents in Boston suburb raised $20K after town officials shut down boy’s ice cream stand