Current:Home > StocksCity of Memphis releases new documents tied to Tyre Nichols’ beating death -Capitatum
City of Memphis releases new documents tied to Tyre Nichols’ beating death
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:23:31
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — The city of Memphis on Wednesday released additional documents tied to the January 2023 fatal beating of Tyre Nichols by five police officers, a brutal attack captured on video that sparked outrage and intensified calls for police reform.
The latest documents, numbering in the hundreds of pages, include personnel files for Memphis police and fire department employees who were fired after the beating. They also include internal police investigation files.
A state judge ordered the release of the documents in November on the same day that former officer Desmond Mills Jr. pleaded guilty to federal charges in Nichols’ death.
Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man, died in a hospital Jan. 10, 2023, three days after the beating. All five of the officers who were charged in his killing are also Black.
Some videos were released in the weeks that followed showing Nichols being pulled over and kicked, punched and hit with a police baton as he yelled for his mother just steps from his home.
A coalition of media organizations, including The Associated Press, pressed for more information to be made public, citing the First Amendment. That led to the release of a further 21 hours of video and audio on Jan. 30 this year. The video and audio added hours of context and revealed more about the actions and statements of the first responders that night.
The city had already released some documents last year detailing the personnel records of the officers involved in Nichols’ death. The city said Wednesday that with the latest release they have made public all documents related to the court order.
“We understand the importance of releasing these documents to the public. This release represents our commitment to transparency,” Mayor Paul Young said in a statement.
Mills also intends to plead guilty to criminal charges in state court and could be called to testify against his four former colleagues — Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmitt Martin and Justin Smith — who remain charged with federal civil rights violations and second-degree murder and other criminal counts in state court. They have pleaded not guilty.
Their federal trial is set for Sept. 9. The state court court trial has been scheduled for Aug. 12, but that date could change.
Two other Memphis officers were fired for their involvement. Another Memphis officer was allowed to retire before he could be fired. Two emergency medical technicians and a fire lieutenant were also fired for failing to provide adequate aid.
The U.S. Department of Justice opened a “patterns and practices” investigation into how Memphis Police Department officers use force and conduct arrests, and whether the department in the majority-Black city engages in racially discriminatory policing.
In March, the Justice Department announced a separate review concerning use of force, de-escalation strategies and specialized units in the Memphis Police Department. Also, Nichols’ mother has sued the city and its police chief over her son’s death.
___
Associated Press writers Claudia Lauer in Philadelphia and Kristin Hall, Travis Loller, Kimberlee Kruesi and Jonathan Mattise in Nashville contributed to this report.
veryGood! (8932)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Amid escalating violence, 3 rockets launched at Israel from Syria, Israeli military says
- An Economist's Advice On Digital Dependency
- Your Facebook Account Was Hacked. Getting Help May Take Weeks — Or $299
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Opinion: Hello? Hello? The Pain Of Pandemic Robocalls
- Several killed in Palestinian terror attacks in West Bank and Tel Aviv, as Israel strikes Hamas targets in Lebanon and Gaza
- In China, Kids Are Limited To Playing Video Games For Only 3 Hours Per Week
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
Ranking
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Klaus Teuber, creator behind popular Catan board game, dies at age 70
- The Quantum Hi-Tech Dreams Of A Rapping African Education Minister
- Activision Blizzard Workers Are Walking Out After The Studio's Sexual Harassment Suit
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Knock 3 Times To Reveal These Secrets About Now and Then
- How to Watch the 2023 Oscars on TV and Online
- The White House Announces Additional Steps To Combat Ransomware
Recommendation
Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
Reporters Reveal 'Ugly Truth' Of How Facebook Enables Hate Groups And Disinformation
Good Girls’ Christina Hendricks Is Engaged to Camera Operator George Bianchini
Jesse Spencer Is Returning to Chicago Fire Following Taylor Kinney's Temporary Leave
Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
Elise Hu: The Beauty Ideal
Say Hello To The Tokyo Olympic Robots
Lifeboat and door found in search for Japanese army Black Hawk helicopter feared down in sea