Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Mass. Court Bans Electricity Rate Hikes to Fund Gas Pipeline Projects -Capitatum
Surpassing:Mass. Court Bans Electricity Rate Hikes to Fund Gas Pipeline Projects
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 06:11:20
The SurpassingMassachusetts Supreme Judicial Court struck down a controversial “pipeline tax” that would have allowed electric utilities in the state to raise rates to pay for natural gas pipeline projects.
The decision is a setback for pipeline company Spectra Energy and its proposed Access Northeast project, which would have significantly increased the flow of natural gas along an existing pipeline from New Jersey to eastern Massachusetts.
The ruling comes on the heels of several other favorable developments for renewable energy. In May, the same court upheld the state’s Global Warming Solutions Act, which mandates an 80 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050.
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker signed legislation on Aug. 8 that requires local utilities to get 1,600 megawatts of their combined electricity from offshore wind farms by 2027.
“I think it’s a potentially historic turning point,” David Ismay, an attorney with Conservation Law Foundation, a Massachusetts based environmental advocacy organization, said of the combined rulings and legislation. Ismay was the lead attorney for CLF, one of two parties that filed suit against the state’s Department of Public Utilities (DPU), which had initially allowed a rate increase to pay for the $3 billion project.
“I think it’s a shot across the bow of the fossil fuel industry,” Ismay said. “If they are smart, they are waking up and thinking how they can get into offshore wind.”
Spectra Energy said the decision will cost state taxpayers in the long run.
“While the Court’s decision is certainly a setback, we will reevaluate our path forward and remain committed to working with the New England states to provide the infrastructure so urgently needed for electric consumers,” Spectra spokesperson Creighton Welch said in a statement. “This decision leaves Massachusetts and New England in a precarious position without sufficient gas capacity for electric generation during cold winters. The lack of gas infrastructure cost electric consumers $2.5 billion dollars during the Polar Vortex winter of 2013 and 2014.”
Massachusetts’ attorney general Maura Healey concluded in a report published in November that the added capacity is not needed to meet electricity generation needs.
Healey argued in favor of Conservation Law Foundation in their suit against the DPU.
This week’s ruling by the court declared it unlawful for Massachusetts to require residential electricity customers to finance the construction of gas pipelines by private companies, which the DPU had previously allowed.
The decision only affects funding from electricity ratepayers in Massachusetts and not funding for the project from other states. But Massachusetts’ ratepayers were projected to provide about half the project’s revenue, according to DPU filings.
“I don’t see how this project goes forward,” Ismay said.
veryGood! (8275)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Grandson recounts seeing graphic video of beloved grandmother killed by Hamas
- Did a woman kill her stepdad after finding explicit photos of herself on his computer?
- Finding your place in the galaxy with the help of Star Trek
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- 'Wait Wait' for October 14, 2023: 25th Anniversary Spectacular, Part VII!
- What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend viewing and listening
- A judge has declined to block parts of Georgia’s election law while legal challenges play out
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- UAW breaks pattern of adding factories to strikes on Fridays, says more plants could come any time
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park to reduce bison herd from 700 to 400 animals
- 'Star Trek' actor Patrick Stewart says he's braver as a performer than he once was
- Kenya Cabinet approved sending police to lead peace mission in Haiti but parliament must sign off
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- While the world is watching Gaza, violence fuels growing tensions in the occupied West Bank
- Jews unite in solidarity across New York City for war-torn Israel
- Lack of water worsens misery in besieged Gaza as Israeli airstrikes continue
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
17-year-old boy arrested in Morgan State University mass shooting, 2nd suspect identified
Australians cast final votes in a referendum on whether to create an Indigenous Voice
California will give some Mexican residents near the border in-state community college tuition
Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
Louise Glück, Nobel-winning poet of terse and candid lyricism, dies at 80
As debate rages on campus, Harvard's Palestinian, Jewish students paralyzed by fear
Louisiana considers creating hunting season for once-endangered black bears