Current:Home > NewsPlan to recover "holy grail" of shipwrecks holding billions of dollars in treasure is approved over 3 centuries after ship sank -Capitatum
Plan to recover "holy grail" of shipwrecks holding billions of dollars in treasure is approved over 3 centuries after ship sank
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 00:46:23
More than three centuries after the legendary San Jose galleon sank off the coast of Colombia while laden with gold, silver and emeralds, the nation has officially approved a plan to recover the wreck and its treasures, officials announced this week.
Dubbed the "holy grail" of shipwrecks, the 316-year-old wreck has been controversial since it was discovered in 2015, because it is both an archaeological and economic treasure -- estimated to be worth billions of dollars.
"For the first time in history, a model of comprehensive public management of the archaeological site and asset of cultural interest, protected by regulations and public missionality, is advanced," the Colombian government said in a news release Tuesday.
Colombian will invest more than $1 million in the recovery process, which is expected to get underway next month, officials said.
Last month, Culture Minister Juan David Correa told Agence France-Presse that an underwater robot would be sent to recover some of its bounty.
Between April and May, the robot would extract some items from "the surface of the galleon" to see "how they materialize when they come out (of the water) and to understand what we can do" to recover the rest of the treasures, said Correa.
The robot will work at a depth of 600 meters to remove items such as ceramics, pieces of wood and shells "without modifying or damaging the wreck," Correa told AFP aboard a large naval ship.
The location of the expedition is being kept secret to protect what is considered one of the greatest archaeological finds in history from malicious treasure hunters.
The San Jose galleon was owned by the Spanish crown when it was sunk by the British navy near Cartagena in 1708. Only a handful of its 600-strong crew survived.
The ship had been heading back from the New World to the court of King Philip V of Spain, laden with treasures such as chests of emeralds and some 200 tons of gold coins.
Before Colombia announced the discovery in 2015, it was long sought after by treasure hunters.
The expedition to start recovering the shipwreck's trove comes as a case is underway at the UN's Permanent Court of Arbitration between Colombia and the U.S.-based salvage company Sea Search Armada -- which claims it found the wreck first over 40 years ago.
In June 2022, Colombia said that a remotely operated vehicle reached 900 meters below the surface of the ocean, showing new images of the wreckage.
The video showed the best-yet view of the treasure that was aboard the San Jose — including gold ingots and coins, cannons made in Seville in 1655 and an intact Chinese dinner service.
At the time, Reuters reported the remotely operated vehicle also discovered two other shipwrecks in the area, including a schooner thought to be from about two centuries ago.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- Colombia
- San Jose
veryGood! (3)
Related
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- See Chris Evans' Wife Alba Baptista Show Her Sweet Support at Red One Premiere
- Jury awards Abu Ghraib detainees $42 million, holds contractor responsible
- Fantasy football waiver wire: 10 players to add for NFL Week 11
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Elon Musk responds after Chloe Fineman alleges he made her 'burst into tears' on 'SNL'
- Kid Rock tells fellow Trump supporters 'most of our left-leaning friends are good people'
- 'We suffered great damage': Fierce California wildfire burns homes, businesses
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Tuskegee University closes its campus to the public, fires security chief after shooting
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Tennis Channel suspends reporter after comments on Barbora Krejcikova's appearance
- Wicked's Ethan Slater Shares How Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo Set the Tone on Set
- Wicked's Ethan Slater Shares How Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo Set the Tone on Set
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Jessica Simpson’s Sister Ashlee Simpson Addresses Eric Johnson Breakup Speculation
- Police cruiser strikes and kills a bicyclist pulling a trailer in Vermont
- Democrat Ruben Gallego wins Arizona US Senate race against Republican Kari Lake
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Joel Embiid injury, suspension update: When is 76ers star's NBA season debut?
Mike Tyson emerges as heavyweight champ among product pitchmen before Jake Paul fight
As US Catholic bishops meet, Trump looms over their work on abortion and immigration
Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
Disney x Lululemon Limited-Edition Collection: Shop Before It Sells Out
DWTS' Sasha Farber Claps Back at Diss From Jenn Tran's Ex Devin Strader
Karol G addresses backlash to '+57' lyric: 'I still have a lot to learn'