Current:Home > reviewsGeorgia agrees to pay for gender-affirming care for public employees, settling a lawsuit -Capitatum
Georgia agrees to pay for gender-affirming care for public employees, settling a lawsuit
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 08:34:48
ATLANTA (AP) — The state of Georgia will start paying for gender-affirming health care for state employees, public school teachers and former employees covered by a state health insurance plan, settling another in a string of lawsuits against Georgia agencies aiming to force them to pay for gender-confirmation surgery and other procedures.
The plaintiffs moved to dismiss their case Thursday in Atlanta federal court, announcing they had reached a settlement with the State Health Benefit Plan.
The December lawsuit argued the insurance plan illegally discriminated by refusing to pay for gender-affirming care.
“There’s no justification, morally, medically, legally or in any other way for treating transgender healthcare as different and denying people access to it,” David Brown, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said in a phone interview Thursday.
The state Department of Community Health, which oversees the insurance plan, did not immediately respond Thursday to an email seeking comment.
The state will also pay a total of $365,000 to the plaintiffs and their lawyers as part of the settlement. Micha Rich, Benjamin Johnson and an anonymous state employee suing on behalf of her adult child all said they spent money out of their own pockets that should have been covered by insurance.
Starting July 1, Georgia legally barred new patients under the age of 18 from starting hormone therapy and banned most gender-affirming surgeries for transgender people under 18. That law, challenged in court but still in effect, lets doctors prescribe puberty-blocking medications and allows minors already receiving hormone therapy to continue.
But Brown said Thursday’s settlement requires the health plan to pay for care deemed medically necessary for spouses and dependents as well as employees. That means the health plan could be required to pay for care for minors outside the state even though it’s prohibited in Georgia.
“The plan can’t treat the care any differently from other care that’s not available in the state,” Brown said.
The lawsuit cited a 2020 Supreme Court ruling that treating someone differently because they are transgender or gay violates a section of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex. The plaintiffs in that case included an employee of Georgia’s Clayton County.
Affected are two health plans paid for by the state but administered by Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield and UnitedHealthcare.
It’s the fourth in a line of lawsuits against Georgia agencies to force them to pay for gender-confirmation surgery and other procedures. State and local governments lost or settled the previous suits.
The University System of Georgia paid $100,000 in damages in addition to changing its rules in 2019 when it settled a case brought by a University of Georgia catering manager. And the Department of Community Health last year agreed to change the rules of the state’s Medicaid program to settle a lawsuit by two Medicaid beneficiaries.
A jury last year ordered Houston County to pay $60,000 in damages to a sheriff’s deputy after a federal judge ruled her bosses illegally denied the deputy health coverage for gender-confirmation surgery. Houston County is appealing that judgment, and oral arguments are scheduled in November before the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
The plaintiffs in the lawsuit settled Thursday included three transgender men. Micha Rich is a staff accountant at the Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts, and Benjamin Johnson is a media clerk with the Bibb County School District in Macon. The mother of the third man, identified only as John Doe, is a Division of Family and Children Services worker in Paulding County and covers the college student on her insurance.
All three were assigned female at birth but transitioned after therapy. All three appealed their denials for top surgery to reduce or remove breasts and won findings from the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission that Georgia was discriminating against them.
“I am thrilled to know that none of my trans colleagues will ever have to go through what I did,” Rich said in a statement.
A court ruling found a similar ban in North Carolina to be illegal; the state is appealing. A Wisconsin ban was overturned in 2018. West Virginia and Iowa have also lost lawsuits over employee coverage, while Florida and Arizona are being sued.
___
Follow Jeff Amy on Twitter at http://twitter.com/jeffamy.
veryGood! (17293)
Related
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Haiti refuses to open key border crossing with Dominican Republic in spat over canal
- AMC CEO Adam Aron shared explicit photos with woman who then tried to blackmail him
- French media say a teacher was killed and others injured in a rare school stabbing
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- AP Week in Pictures: Global | Oct. 6 - 12, 2023
- Japan’s government asks a court to revoke the legal religious status of the Unification Church
- How to help victims of the deadly Israel-Hamas conflict
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Coach Outlet Has Perfect Pieces to Make Your Eras Tour Movie Outfit Shine
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Colorado judge strikes down Trump’s attempt to toss a lawsuit seeking to bar him from the ballot
- Man charged with stealing ‘Wizard of Oz’ slippers from Minnesota museum expected to plead guilty
- State Department announces plan to fly Americans out of Israel
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Taylor Swift's Sweet Moment With Brittany Mahomes at Kansas City Chiefs Game Hits Different
- 5 things podcast: Book bans hit fever pitch. Who gets to decide what we can or can't read?
- Taylor Swift returns to Arrowhead Stadium to see Travis Kelce and the Chiefs face the Broncos
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Ex-Indiana officer gets 1 year in federal prison for repeatedly punching handcuffed man
Thousands of autoworkers walk out at Ford's largest factory as UAW escalates strike
How Travis Barker’s Daughter Alabama Barker Gets Her Lip Filler to Look Natural
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
Douglas Clark, convicted murderer and half of the Sunset Strip Killers, dies of natural causes
Douglas Clark, convicted murderer and half of the Sunset Strip Killers, dies of natural causes
Mapping out the Israel-Hamas war