Current:Home > 新闻中心Surpassing:Chemical substances found at home of Austrian suspected of planning attack on Taylor Swift concerts -Capitatum
Surpassing:Chemical substances found at home of Austrian suspected of planning attack on Taylor Swift concerts
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 00:43:17
VIENNA (AP) — Three Taylor Swift concerts this week in Vienna have Surpassingbeen canceled following arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack in the area, potentially at the stadium itself, and at least one of the suspects has been linked to the Islamic State group.
Chemical substances and technical devices were found at the house of that suspect, a 19-year-old Austrian, according to Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s Interior Ministry.
In an interview Thursday with public broadcaster ORF’s Oe1 program, Ruf said investigators are evaluating the evidence seized from the suspect’s home. Just a few weeks ago, the 19-year-old had uploaded an oath of allegiance to the current leader of the Islamic State group militia to an internet account, Ruf added.
A second person was arrested in the Austrian capital. Several Austrian media reported Thursday that additional suspects were being sought — something police did not officially confirm.
The cancellations devastated Swifties across the globe, many of whom had dropped thousands of euros on travel and lodging in Austria’s expensive capital city for the sold-out Eras Tour shows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Ernst Happel Stadium, which sat empty Thursday morning aside from media filming outside.
Europe is enamored by the American superstar, with the German town of Gelsenkirchen renaming itself “Swiftkirchen” before its mid-July concerts.
Austria’s Vice-Chancellor Werner Kogler wrote on social platform X: “For many, a dream has been shattered today. On three evenings in Vienna, tens of thousands of #Swifties should have celebrated life together.”
“I am very sorry that you were denied this. Swifties stick together, hate and terror can’t destroy that,” Kogler wrote late Wednesday.
Ruf said authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.
The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf didn’t give more details, such as the suspects’ names, in line with Austrian privacy law.
Event organizer Barracuda Music said in an Instagram post late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ confirmation of a planned attack at the stadium.
The cancellation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf previously said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks, and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.
Vienna Police Chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had been minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.
Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer posted on X that “the cancellation of the Taylor Swift concerts by the organizers is a bitter disappointment for all fans in Austria.”
“The situation surrounding the apparently planned terror attack in Vienna was very serious,” he wrote. But he added that, thanks to intensive cooperation between police and Austrian and foreign intelligence, “the threat could be recognized early on, tackled and a tragedy prevented.”
Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.” The same wording was posted under the Vienna dates on Swift’s official website.
The Vienna stadium had been sold out for the planned concerts, APA reported, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected for the concerts in Austria.
Some who posted on X lamented months of now-wasted efforts to make friendship bracelets and pick out fashionable outfits for the performance.
The cancellations came more than a week after a stabbing attack in the northwest England seaside town of Southport during a Taylor Swift-themed summer holiday dance and yoga class. The violence left three girls dead and 10 others injured. A 17-year-old has been charged with murder.
In 2017, an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, killed 22 people. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi set up a knapsack bomb in Manchester Arena at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving. More than 100 people were injured. Abedi died in the explosion.
An official inquiry reported in 2023 that Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5, didn’t act swiftly enough on key information and missed a significant opportunity to prevent the bombing, the deadliest extremist attack in the United Kingdom in recent years.
___
Dazio reported from Berlin. Associated Press writers Geir Moulson and Kirsten Grieshaber in Berlin, and Jan Olsen in Copenhagen, Denmark, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (84231)
Related
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- King Charles' sister Princess Anne says streamlining the royal family doesn't sound like a good idea
- As battle for Sudan rages on, civilian deaths top 500
- New York attorney general launches probe of Twitch and Discord after Buffalo shooting
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- Fitbit recalls 1.7 million smartwatches with a battery that can overheat and burn you
- U.S. evacuates hundreds of American civilians from Sudan
- The $16 Korean Pore Mask I've Sworn By Since High School
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Emily Ratajkowski Broke Up With Eric André Before He Posted That NSFW Photo
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- You can now ask Google to take your personal data out of its search results
- Here's Why Red Lipstick Makes You Think of Sex
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Step Out in NYC Amid His $1 Billion Business Deal
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- EA is cutting Russian teams from its FIFA and NHL games over the Ukraine invasion
- Zach Shallcross Reveals the Bachelor: Women Tell All Moment That Threw Him a “Curveball”
- The rocky road ahead for startups
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Kim Kardashian's SKIMS Drops 3 Head-Turning Swimsuit Collections
Transcript: Rep. Ro Khanna on Face the Nation, April 30, 2023
These Facial Cotton Pads From Amazon Are The Only Ones I Use For Makeup And Skincare
From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
Proof Khloe Kardashian's Daughter True Thompson Is Taking After Kim Kardashian
How Iran and Saudi Arabia's diplomatic breakthrough could impact the entire Middle East
Twitter reaches deal to sell to Elon Musk for about $44 billion