Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:Federal court rules firearm restrictions on defendants awaiting trial are constitutional -Capitatum
TradeEdge Exchange:Federal court rules firearm restrictions on defendants awaiting trial are constitutional
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 05:08:18
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Court orders that prohibited two criminal defendants from possessing firearms while they awaited trial were constitutional because they were in line with past restrictions on TradeEdge Exchangefirearms, a federal court ruled Monday.
Judge Gabriel P. Sanchez, writing for a unanimous three-judge panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, found that U.S. laws have historically sought to disarm dangerous criminal defendants, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Sanchez said those previous prohibitions justified the restrictions placed on John Thomas Fencl and Jesus Perez-Garcia, defendants in California whose challenges to the law were consolidated in Monday’s order.
“Here, the historical evidence, when considered as a whole, shows a long and broad history of legislatures exercising authority to disarm people whose possession of firearms would pose an unusual danger, beyond the ordinary citizen, to themselves or others,” Sanchez wrote. “The temporary disarmament of Fencl and Perez-Garcia as a means reasonably necessary to protect public safety falls within that historical tradition.”
Katie Hurrelbrink, an attorney for both men, told the Times she intended to “continue litigating this” by asking for a review by a larger, en banc appellate panel and, if necessary, the U.S. Supreme Court.
U.S. Attorney Tara McGrath said in a statement that the ruling “recognized the long history of keeping firearms out of the hands of those who refuse to abide by the law.”
The Times cited court records that show Fencl was arrested and charged with various crimes after law enforcement officials discovered more than 100 guns in his home near San Diego. Perez-Garcia was arrested at the U.S.-Mexico border when a customs inspection of a vehicle in which he was a passenger uncovered about 11 kilograms of methamphetamine and half a kilogram of fentanyl, court records show.
Both Fencl and Perez-Garcia argued that while detained defendants had historically had firearms taken away from them, there was no historical record of detainees who had been released from detention being precluded from possessing firearms.
Sanchez wrote that the decision to take their guns was “consistent with our nation’s long history of temporarily disarming criminal defendants facing serious charges and those deemed dangerous or unwilling to follow the law.”
Both men were released from custody pending trial and subsequently challenged the terms of their release under a “history and tradition” test the U.S. Supreme Court established in 2022 for assessing the constitutionality of gun laws nationwide. In New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn. vs. Bruen, the high court said that gun laws are legitimate only if they are rooted in U.S. history and tradition or are sufficiently analogous to some historic law.
The Bruen decision led to a surge in challenges to gun laws.
veryGood! (556)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- The Latest: Preparations underway for night 1 of the DNC in Chicago
- Teen Mom’s Farrah Abraham Shares Insight Into 15-Year-Old Daughter Sophia’s Latest Milestone
- As much as 10 inches of rain floods parts of Connecticut. At least 1 person is dead
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Harvey Weinstein will not return to California until New York retrial is complete, DA says
- A Path Through Scorched Earth Teaches How a Fire Deficit Helped Fuel California’s Conflagrations
- Alabama sets November date for third nitrogen execution
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s Daughter Shiloh Officially Drops Last Name
Ranking
- Video shows dog chewing cellphone battery pack, igniting fire in Oklahoma home
- Public defender’s offices are opening across Maine. The next step: staffing them.
- Meghan Markle Shares How Her and Prince Harry’s Daughter Lilibet “Found Her Voice”
- Disney dropping bid to have allergy-death lawsuit tossed because plaintiff signed up for Disney+
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Matt Gaetz and Rick Scott face challengers in Florida primaries
- These Best All-Inclusive Resorts Make Girls’ Trip Planning as Fun as the Vacay
- Today’s Al Roker Shares Moving Message on Health Journey Amid Birthday Milestone
Recommendation
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
Horoscopes Today, August 18, 2024
Political newcomers seek to beat U.S. House, Senate incumbents in Wyoming
50 years on, Harlem Week shows how a New York City neighborhood went from crisis to renaissance
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Jamie-Lynn Sigler’s 10-Year-Old Son Beau Hospitalized for 33 Days Amid “Nightmare” Illness
Collapsed rail bridge gets first of two controlled blasts in clean up after severe flooding
John Aprea, 'The Godfather Part II' and 'Full House' actor, dies at 83